Pokemon Crystal Redesign (Hack)

You could just add a water area to an area only reachable at the end game that has no water and then make it so you only fish up lvl100 Magikarp that only know splash but drops a butt load of experience. That way people can reasonably level up their pokémon with out that sort of issue. Obviously lvl100 is max so you can't make him easier by leveling. But really Pokémon doesn't normally have random encounters of pokémon over lvl75 so getting those last 25 is always hard. This is just the kind of work around found in lots of other games. Why else does Dragon Quest have Metal Slimes, Final Fantasy have Cactaur, or those Gold Slimes in Breath of Fire.

Truly you can see over lv80 pokemons (max.lv90) in Silver Cave so leveling up isn't a problem. (You get usually 2000-3000 experience per battle.) Training in grass is just boring I think...and in indigo plateau you get also levels pretty easily by going it again and again.

And Magikarp don't give much experience. If you play my game you can see it with Kanto pokemon trainers.

I wanted to make this game complete fast so here is updated version 1.80.

Now Pokecenters and Marts are changed so don't be inside them when you copy new version and replace it with older. Some other areas also changed (Cerulean Gym, Celadon Game Corner, Fuchsia City...).

If anyone of you could help me using some kind of hex editor to edit text that would be a great help. I know myself what hexadecimals are but I can't figure it out if I for example edit hexadecimals FA to B9 what it does in the game itself.

And if someone wanted to edit texts for this game himself that would be great too :). Answer if you could help me with this only problem in this hack.

Download updated hack here: http://www.zophar.net/hacks/gb/pokemon-crystal-edition/Pokemon-Crystal-Redesign-543.html

Yeah, I clicked Print Screen on my keyboard and pasted it to paint.
That's why the pictures are so big. (I played with full screen)

facepalm2.gif

Points about making the game more difficult are important. Especially throwing a curveball at somebody who knows the game real well. Imagination and creativeness are more important than having to use a cheat.
While I admire what you've done graphically, having to use a cheat doesn't really improve gameplay - it kind of spoils it.

Points about making the game more difficult are important. Especially throwing a curveball at somebody who knows the game real well. Imagination and creativeness are more important than having to use a cheat.
While I admire what you've done graphically, having to use a cheat doesn't really improve gameplay - it kind of spoils it.

In 1.80 version when I changed Pokeleague you are able to level up your party to lv100 much easily.
It took me 2 hours and that don't feel much if you level one pokemon per time.
And you don't truly even need 6 pokemon to beat Red if you have good strategy. When I posted 1.80 version I also edited that text in Misc files so there doesn't even is that code message anymore.
I've played this game through 3 times myself by testing it and two last times beat Red without leveling up with gameshark codes. You will see that it's pretty easy to get your pokemon to 100 levels in this hack.

Maybe you should finish the hack instead of updating it every week or so... It doesn't really make any sense... And to edit the text use the guide on romhacking.net it's really not that hard...

Maybe you should finish the hack instead of updating it every week or so... It doesn't really make any sense... And to edit the text use the guide on romhacking.net it's really not that hard...

It's already finished and I'm just fixing bugs which I find but it's fully playable right now.
I think I probably created my tablefile somehow wrong.
When I loaded other table files they worked but when I made a table file
of my hack I can see hexadecimals on the left and on the right there is nothing.

How should I make a table file of my hack ?

Well when you open the rom in hex it should make a table file for you. A useless one for text editing soooooo... Open that table file in notepad or whatever and input Guiege's table file (From romhacking). Then save and re-open your rom and you're set. Remember to select the text side lol.

ALSO: All the game's text is pretty randomly placed... It's all without context so if you're only changing a few things it's no big deal, but... If you want to make a huge difference what I did was play through the game and every time I talked to someone I text searched it and then changed it. Y'know so i know which person says what.

Maximum Potion: Well when you open the rom in hex it should make a table file for you.

I'm opening my crystal.gbc file with hexposure and I did nothing but clicked save changes. Nothing happened. I don't have any table file of my hack.

Are you using Dosbox to make this ? I think that it's my problem.

You should try WindHex like InVerse said, also if you're into hacking the oldskool Pokemon games you should visit these forums aswell:

pkmncommunity.com
twilight-hacking.darkbb.com

Me and a few other people thought pkmncommunity was too much about the newer (Pokemon) games so we have that Twilight Hacking board for general GB/C games, but have a look at them both anyway.

I think that pokecommunity is also mostly for ruby, emerald, pearl...and so on.
You're administor in twilight-hacking.darkbb.com yourself :D.
I will try to use that WindHex if I could get it work. If I can I will probably make some minor text changes for the game.

I couldn't make text editing work because WindHex couldn't load the table file properly. But that doesn't matter now.
It would have been boring to edit text for my hack but I have else in my mind:

Now that I finished this hack I've nothing to do right now so I got an interesting idea !

NEW POKEMON CRYSTAL HACK !!! ;)

I'm going to start making new hack now and I will tell more when it will be released in the future.

The way I see it, red should be a challenge based on what level your pokémon should be by the time they get to him, wothout training endlessly like a noob. Just see what level you're at by the time you reach him by playing through the game, fighting most of the trainers and the wild encounters you run into on your path. Then, say by then you're lvl 80, make his guys like 90 or something... In my silver hack i'm testing, I gave him 89-98 pokémon, some legendary pokémon, and I pretty much left all of johto's lvls the same, but I toughened up kanto so you could climb to the right level through playing through the game, and not by power leveling.

I thought that Red's Pokémons' stats were based on your (the player's) Pokémons' stats, right? They're within 5-7 levels or so, anyway (I think). It's been forever since I last played that game.

I've been wondering if anyone of you has played this game from beginning to face Red at the end ?
If you have were you able to beat him ???

Also: Check my signature under this text. I modified it just and there are videos of my hack in youtube nick: Miksy91. And there is a video of beginning my 2nd crystal hack, I think it will be better than this one, (I've made it now from beginning to Union Cave).

Last edited:
yeah how do you actually get to play it? i downloaded the crystal rom and your patch and i have ispwin but i dont know what i have to do to actually patch it and play it. btw i have virtualboyadvanced

Try renaming the patch to the same name as the ROM and sticking it in the same folder as the ROM file. I'm pretty sure VBA can automatically patch the game this way (at least VBA-M can).

Try renaming the patch to the same name as the ROM and sticking it in the same folder as the ROM file. I'm pretty sure VBA can automatically patch the game this way (at least VBA-M can).

If this doesn't work install Lunar IPS in Zophar's Domain (it's in Utilities I think).
Open Lunar Ips and click apply ips patch.
Then double click your crystal rom file.

Back
Top Bottom