Pokemon Crystal Redesign (Hack)

Hey, I'm hacking Pokémon Silver right now. I'm almost done I was wondering if you know how to edit the title screen. I looked through the file 3 times slowly with a tile editor and I can't find it.

Thanks!

Also: Haha it looks good, the hack i'm working on just makes KANTO and the Elite four harder, along with the original three starting pokémon and some retarded text hacking. You made the whole game harder? Cool.

Hey, I'm hacking Pokémon Silver right now. I'm almost done I was wondering if you know how to edit the title screen. I looked through the file 3 times slowly with a tile editor and I can't find it.

Thanks!

Also: Haha it looks good, the hack i'm working on just makes KANTO and the Elite four harder, along with the original three starting pokémon and some retarded text hacking. You made the whole game harder? Cool.

Yeah. I also couldn't edit the title screen. It's stupid thing to say right now that you've been editing pokemon silver. In crystal someone has made a trainer editor which edits probably 95% of trainers in game(you can find a boss which you can beat with one attack each :D.)

But I think that you use GoldMap to make it ? I found one year ago a hack to GoldMap editor which changed it to CrystalMap. So I used it to edit tiles in this map.

How did you edit texts in the game ?
(I think I could change some stupid comments which people say which aren't true in my hack.)

P.S When you play my hack I could reckon that it will take JUST ABOUT 30 hours to beat.
(You will encounter many random battles and if you don't fight them you lose at gyms...)

Well I did the whole thing with Hexpose... To edit the text all you need is the table file from giegue's RBGSC guide on rom hacking.net.

I didn't want to use goldmap or anything like that, It's more fun in my opinion to do it all in hex.

Wow, you actually used Hexposure? I was planning on doing a simple translation with Hexpose and Tile Layer as a ironic joke of sorts. You should check out Windhex by Bongo, it can do everything Hexposure can do and it's a Windows program.

Now JOHTO-area is completely changed and patch for it can be found for it. When you start playing it you should probably be in poke center/mart so you don't get stuck anywhere. Just replace new patched rom to older version.

I thought that Ash (Red) was too easy so I made him harder to beat.

It's in Crystal Redesign 1.35 patch and it can be downloaded now.

Don't be a loser, take true challenge at the end and download update now :)

Heh. I've just downloaded it and I'll try it tonight. I'm interested to see if you made the gameplay tougher than I did.
Looks great, btw.

ZD should still have all their patching utilities in the tools section; assuming it's there I recommend LunarIPS. Put the IPS in the same folder as your .gbc Pokemon Crystal ROM and follow the patching instructions included with your patcher.

Alternatively, if you're using an emulator, you might just be able to name the IPS and ROM the same thing(e.g., crystal.ips and crystal.gbc) in the same folder and run the GBC game with the emulator; most have built-in patchers.

You need to have crystal.GBC file , Lunar IPS and Crystal Redesign 1.35.ips file.
Then open Lunar IPS, choose Apply IPS Patch. Then search for IPS file where you downloaded it(=Crystal Redesign 1.35). Finally choose crystal.GBC file.
Then it should say "The file was succesfully patched". Then start just playing new crystal.GBC file. You can rename it if you want.

Heh. I've just downloaded it and I'll try it tonight. I'm interested to see if you made the gameplay tougher than I did.
Looks great, btw.

I think that this hack is hard. RED is really TOUGH, I can say that!!! If you downloaded the guide file you can see what information there is: The most important thing is to cheat to get lv100 pokemon at the end of the game. Before it cheating is useless. That's because RED is really TOUGH. I can say only that my lv100 mewtwo usually was dead after Red's Raichu's Thunderbolt attack :D.

I think that this hack is hard. RED is really TOUGH, I can say that!!! If you downloaded the guide file you can see what information there is: The most important thing is to cheat to get lv100 pokemon at the end of the game. Before it cheating is useless. That's because RED is really TOUGH. I can say only that my lv100 mewtwo usually was dead after Red's Raichu's Thunderbolt attack :D.

I think unfair difficulty (to the point where you recommend cheating to get through it) is rather pointless and stupid.

I think unfair difficulty (to the point where you recommend cheating to get through it) is rather pointless and stupid.

I only wanted to make Red hard to beat. If you could beat him with lv80 pokemon just and just, it wouldn't be hard if you leveled up to 90.
But it's pretty easy to cheat your pokemon to lv100. I used cheats that I always encounter a pokemon which looks like lv255 mewtwo and just killed it again and again to get every 6 pokemon to lv100. (took about 20minutes)

I think that many peole like to have challenge at the end of the game. Nobody assumed to battle pokemon which Red has. Battle against Red is truly awesome and it wouldn't be that if you could have stronger pokemon.

Last edited:
Yeah it's not a challenge if you have to cheat. It's just dumb.

Should I make him easier ? (It takes normally about 3-4 hours to level up to lv100. I had myself lv90 pokemon and then I just didn't stand it anymore so I decided to cheat at the end. Only thing why I made this is that I wanted Red to be a true challenge so anyone couldn't just level up much and beat him that way.)
And why should he be easier ? When you meet Red you're even at the end part.

P.S Version 1.40 coming next week...

The way I see it, red should be a challenge based on what level your pokémon should be by the time they get to him, wothout training endlessly like a noob. Just see what level you're at by the time you reach him by playing through the game, fighting most of the trainers and the wild encounters you run into on your path. Then, say by then you're lvl 80, make his guys like 90 or something... In my silver hack i'm testing, I gave him 89-98 pokémon, some legendary pokémon, and I pretty much left all of johto's lvls the same, but I toughened up kanto so you could climb to the right level through playing through the game, and not by power leveling.

Okay, but in my hack Red has much more than lv100 pokemon :).
Even Gym leaders in Kanto are that strong.
But I could do also easier hack file where Red isn't that strong.
People can try to beat Red in this hack if they can.
But I will do it still hard to lv75 pokemon to beat, that's for sure.
(Usually your starter pokemon is even at lv100 at the end, without getting levels in grass.)

You could just add a water area to an area only reachable at the end game that has no water and then make it so you only fish up lvl100 Magikarp that only know splash but drops a butt load of experience. That way people can reasonably level up their pokémon with out that sort of issue. Obviously lvl100 is max so you can't make him easier by leveling. But really Pokémon doesn't normally have random encounters of pokémon over lvl75 so getting those last 25 is always hard. This is just the kind of work around found in lots of other games. Why else does Dragon Quest have Metal Slimes, Final Fantasy have Cactaur, or those Gold Slimes in Breath of Fire.

Back
Top Bottom