Windows XP security

IceWolf20

So I have a bit of a problem. A friend's computer went ape-shit, and XP wouldn't even boot. Boot started, blue screen o' death with register information flashes, and instant reboot. Anyways, to fix this, I put in a new HDD and then installed XP on that drive, and was giong to have them copy their personal files over from the other drive to the new windows installation, then wipe the origional drive, and do a disk copy from the "lifeboat" drive.

The problem I'm running into was the they put all their documents in the "My Documents" folder under their login for that installation of XP, and now the security on those that user's folder won't allow the new XP installation access it. What I want to know, is that is there any way to circumvent XP's security to get at those files to make the copy? Can't do it in DOS b/c of NTFS....and the only other thing I could think of was to get a drive installed with Linux and copy from the NTFS that way where the security restrictions wouldn't be enforced....but that seems like an awful lot to do. Anyone have any "shorter" ideas?

<P ID="signature"><div align="center">
ZMD.gif

...the way to be!</div></P>

download knoppix std v0.1
its a bootable linux distro that lets you do all sorts of normally illegal things to systems. one of which lets you reset password hashes on an NT system and such.. pm me if you need help with it

Chris

<P ID="signature">Chris

/personal/mfc/newsig.png</P>

1) Make sure user and pass are the same.
2)Do a web search on folder recovery programs or locksmith programs
3) try accessing them from another hard drive.

<P ID="signature"></P>

Bring it over. We'll hack the gibson.

<P ID="signature"><marquee direction=right scrollamount=10>
hsrun.gif
</marquee></P>

Back
Top Bottom