Windows could not start because it's being a bitch

ShadowMage

Here's the error message I get whenever I start up my computer:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup and using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

So I did that and ran chkdsk through the Recovery Console, but I'm still getting the error and Windows still won't start. What should I do?

<P ID="signature">"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke</P>

From http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBQ/tip8000/rh8078.htmhttp://www.jsiinc.com/SUBQ/tip8000/rh8078.htm</a>

"To workaround this problem:

1. Boot the Recovery Console.

2. Type the number for the appropriate Windows installation and type the Administrator account password.

3. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following, pressing Enter after each command:

cd \winnt\system32\config
ren system system.old
copy system.old system
Exit"

<P ID="signature"></P>

Nothing I'm doing is working. I think I may have to re-install Windows. If I do that will I lose everything?

<P ID="signature">"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke</P>

> Nothing I'm doing is working. I think I may have to
> re-install Windows. If I do that will I lose everything?

If you reinstall over the copy on your HDD, it should retain all files, programs and their settings.

-Wren

<P ID="signature"></P>

I've been reading about re-installing XP here, and it sounds like the worst that can happen is I lose some settings and shortcuts, and even that I can prevent by deleting a certain file before I re-install.

Still, I hate taking risks like this. In the past they've always come back to bite me in the ass.

Anyway, anyone have anything else to say before I go through with this?

Back
Top Bottom