What's keeping me from linux

pipes

Video games

It's like a different operating system vs when it was out in the early 90s. If anything it's better then windows now that the distros have like everything and it can be ported to like everything! Learning the terminal is great for remote control and basic programming! I have learned to love VI (LOL) and hate emacs.

I feel like I am in some dark in between of game and tech talk

Last edited:
For me, the OS of choice always comes down to the applications I want to run. An OS is a platform and like any other platform if there is nothing on it you want to run it is inherently not suited to your needs.

Since I work in a Mac-only school district I regularly jump between Windows (my preferred platform) and OS X (the platform I support). While I like a lot of things about OS X, some of the applications I use do not have a comparable replacement on the Mac side. There are also no applications that I need that exclusive to the Mac. As such, there would be little to no benefit for me to switch to that as my primary platform.

On the topic of Linux though, I did decide to check out the latest release of Ubuntu a while back and it does seem like it has improved from a usability perspective over the last couple of years. Drivers in particular were handled much better than I remember. I automatically recognized most of my hardware and also prompted me to install my Radeon 4650's proprietary driver. On the down side though, even fewer of the applications I run are on Linux and even basic things I use on a day-to-day basis like Netflix are a no-go.

From what I've seen, though, gaming is unaffected by operating system. No matter what OS I install on my computers, my 360 still plays my games just fine.

Please don't tell me you play shooters on that thing.

Since I work in a Mac-only school district

Okay, the thought of an entire DISTRICT being mac only just made me sick to my stomach. If I knew whose bright idea that was, I'd stab him in the face.

Please don't tell me you play shooters on that thing.

Other than Half-Life 2, I don't play shooter period. I have real guns for that.

Okay, the thought of an entire DISTRICT being mac only just made me sick to my stomach. If I knew whose bright idea that was, I'd stab him in the face.

If you had to do Windows tech support for an entire district, you'd learn to love Mac.

On the down side though, even fewer of the applications I run are on Linux and even basic things I use on a day-to-day basis like Netflix are a no-go.
Protip: The only application I still use now that I used back in 2006 (when I last used Windows as my primary operating system) is Mozilla Firefox. Everything else changed. I don't miss anything that went away though, because I found better replacements that were Linux-native.

I hate Macs with a passion. Got a Macbook Pro and I just can't stand the OS. Without Bootcamping into Windows 7, I'm not sure what I'd do.
Linux is a great system, but not something I'd use as my primary computer. There are too many limitations with it being open source, mainly being compatibility and ease to access. If I can't run something on Ubuntu or debian, I'll just hop over to Windows without the need to troubleshoot.

Back
Top Bottom