What if Super Nintendo CD did come out?

cbxweb

Token Black Member
Imagine how different things would of been. Would it have cemented the Nintendo V. Sega war for over a decade? Or would we have been filled to the gills with Make My Video games? Personally, I always wanted to make my own Jane Child videos with green tints and dogs walking on beach balls. Anyway, let's imagine.

I think that there would of been a lot of terrible FMV games at first, but it would of eventually got to an incredible Metroid game with amazing music, a Final Fantasy game that would of been great, and just one of those weird Zelda CD-i games. It would of forced the successor to Super Nintendo be a CD based system, and by then it would of steam rolled over Sega.

Hm...I don't think it would have been THAT different, except of course games would have had more CD Audio. :p I do think that in the Playstation/N64 generation they would have done a lot better against Sony if this had happened, that is assuming Sony even got into the game hardware business in that case (it seems to me like part of the reason why they did was because they were so angry over Nintendo snubbing them on the SNES-CD).

Oh I love what if.
The SNES CD was Sony's doing with Nintendo, but they broke contract and did the playstation. So I could see how it could make things WAY different. Sega CD vs SNES CD.

Nintendo would win, maybe. It could create consequences. Perpetuals never get taken full advantage of, or game hardware AWAYS seem to be bad ass, but with just with one element missing (like more RAM or some shit) to fuck it all up. So that could have ended the SNES then. After the SNES failing, it could have gone to Sega and they would come out on top.

The only looser here I could think of would be Sony. If they didn't break Nintendo's contract they wouldn't have gone far. If they went ahead with the SNES project they would see that if they made a console they could make money too, but in this reality they didn't, and created the playstation before the N64 could come out. This made them big. In the other reality where they honored the contract they would make a system by themselves and fail from the big N's super bad ass N64 (CD based). Sega is just fucked.

Last edited:
Let's see
1) No Playstation - Playstation Games on Nintendo Playstation 64
2) The original version of Secret of Mana Square kept trying to make would exist, but the version of Secret of Mana that does exists wouldn't.
3) Nintendo would still maintained its bigged headed jerky policies that plagued it till N64/Virtual Boy failures
4) Sega would have had a stronger 32 bit Era, some Playstation Games would be Sega exclusives.
5) Sega probably wouldn't have pulled the bone head, of stop Saturn to wait a year for Dream Cast a year early, because Nintendo would be two years off till Gamecube.
6) Gamecube would take normal DVDs and have most PS2 games.
7) Dreamcast would have stronger support but Xbox would probably still kill it before this gen
8) Even if Sega was still around Wii would kill it, as it wouldn't have Sony's Money to burn.
9) More Games for Wii in all fronts although Microsoft would still steal all the on-line western titles.

It's impossible to tell if the Wii would be more powerful, or if Nintendo would have eaten humble pie somewhere(like from Virtual Boy) and solved some of it's worse business practices. Hell in that model NEC could have made a come back with Turbo Trio, and beaten Sega Dreamcast into the dirt. Anythings possible, you never know.

Man, that would have been interesting if, assuming Sony wouldn't be having a console given that they never made the Playstation, Sega or even NEC were the 'third pillar' this generation.

Back
Top Bottom