Weird burner issue

Dark Macc

Okay, this is an even weirder PC problem then I've had before.

I have a Plextor PX-708A DVD burner, which I haven't had any problems with since I got it. About a month ago it stopped ripping / burning at full speed, and now I'm getting a lot of "Avoided buffer underrun 1xx times" errors when I burn. Also, when I'm doing anything with the drive [burning DVDs, installing a game, etc] the mouse will lock up. Like, I still HAVE the mouse operating, but the little mouse icon that windows uses? It's frozen on the screen. It only goes back to normal when I reboot. I only know I have the mouse because when I wave my mouse around the screen, the icons highlight under it -- so it's there, but the icon is stuck in place.

My understanding of buffer underrun is that the CPU is distracted between different programs and thus, the burner isn't getting the entire CPU for what it needs. Now, I've done a virus check, and I've done a spyware sweep and came up with nothing, so now I come to you. Perhaps there's now a conflicting IRQ or something? I'm not quite sure what it could be, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

Oh, my computer? It's running Windows XP, Service Pack 2 [which I've had since it came out with no ill effects, this is a recent issue], AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73 GHz), and 768 Ram. Burning program is Nero 7.
<P ID="signature"></P>

I have a LG GSA-4163B. Running WinXP SP2 on a P4 1.7 Ghz with 768 MRam. I also use Nero 7 for burning. I'm able to burn but when I do, the tracks on the CDs are corrupted. For a strange reason, it does not happen only if I burn with EAC.
<P ID="signature">
guinessdrinker40fi.jpg

poker27ma.jpg
</P>

If you find out what's causing it I'd like to know as well... I've not had the buffer issues, but from time to time I get the mouse cursor issue as well when burning. I'm using a Sony drive, and happens with either Alcohol 120% or Nero, so it doesn't seem to be the choice of burning application in itself.
<P ID="signature"></P>

Back
Top Bottom