Video card driver issues

ToastyCheesy

I have just gotten an Asus AH3450 Radeon (re-branded on Ati HD Radeon 3450)
But I am having trouble installing the driver software for it. The disc that came with it hasn't worked, I also tried the official Ati drivers, and the latest drivers on the Asus website. Windows XP was just giving me a black screen with a blinking dos cursor, However in Windows 7, I receive a BSOD message with atikmdag.sys at fault. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

I have just gotten an Asus AH3450 Radeon (re-branded on Ati HD Radeon 3450)
But I am having trouble installing the driver software for it. The disc that came with it hasn't worked, I also tried the official Ati drivers, and the latest drivers on the Asus website. Windows XP was just giving me a black screen with a blinking dos cursor, However in Windows 7, I receive a BSOD message with atikmdag.sys at fault. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Hmm...so does it normally use OEM drivers (the ones from Asus' website, I presume)? If that is the case, try these drivers....they are based on the normal ATI ones, yet should install on any card, OEMs included. I use them on my laptop here because they are far superior to the OEM drivers from HP I'm supposed to use.

it could be possible that the card is just fucked up/flaky. I mean you've tried in on two different OSes, so that rules out a shoddy OS. You've tried multiple drivers, so it's not an issue with those? What else could it be? Other conflicting software perhaps? Did you try installing the drivers in safe mode?

I did not. There are some points though. Windows 7 is beta. Windows XP was just an install, I did no updating whatsoever. Other people have alot of trouble getting help with this card too, one guy apparently fixed it by setting his AGP Aperture Setting to 8MB, but mine doesn't go that low. Also, I never updated my chipset drivers which had just occured to me now, but that didn't work in Windows 7, still crashes.

Since you have just installed Windows XP without any updates, I´d try to install at least Service Pack 2 along with latest hotfixes. Some drivers need a Service Pack to run equitable, like certain applications do.

Since you have just installed Windows XP without any updates, I´d try to install at least Service Pack 2 along with latest hotfixes. Some drivers need a Service Pack to run equitable, like certain applications do.

Either that or try Driverguide.com. I've had cases where I positively identified a piece by the serial no. and the FCC no. and still had to use a different driver.

Stuff happens.

Well I managed to at least start the driver. I moved the atikmdag.sys file to a different location, and the driver starts, but not how it's intended, It's basically running as another VGA driver.

Even if I didn't slipstream the service packs with my Installation discs, Service Pack 2 as you know it is not the same Service Pack as I know it. I run all 64-bit Operating Systems, Service Pack 2 for 32-bit XP has already been bundled with XP x64 since RTM.

Also, It's not a faulty card, the card ran how it's intended in OpenSolaris, but I can't completely switch as I am short on available storage space.

On a side note, Anyone know how I can recover a hard drive? It's a Maxtor DiamondMax 20, but it won't even spin up, or turn on or anything. when you turn it on, you can hear a faint click when you hold your ear up to it, but besides that, it does nothing. This started happening when I came home from being out of state.

Well I managed to at least start the driver. I moved the atikmdag.sys file to a different location, and the driver starts, but not how it's intended, It's basically running as another VGA driver.

Sounds like your mainboard doesn't like the card. Is it correctly inserted? Are all contactpins clean? Have you tried to update the mainboard bios?

On a side note, Anyone know how I can recover a hard drive? It's a Maxtor DiamondMax 20, but it won't even spin up, or turn on or anything. when you turn it on, you can hear a faint click when you hold your ear up to it, but besides that, it does nothing. This started happening when I came home from being out of state.

I think you should check your mainboard and your powersupply. Perhaps it's an energy issue? I would also exchange the HDD cable. That's sometimes helpful.

Besides that you could try a knoppix CD or other linux CD to boot and check the system.

Ah, perhaps you should check the CPU temperature and your RAM, too. I had some serious problems and blue screens, driver errors etc. because my RAM was defect. Just ensure these parts are okay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom