SPC - can I disable stereo?

pooiyx

Hi. I have a question regarding the .SPC file format (for SNES chiptunes).

I recently got a new motherboard (with a new onboard sound card), and I realise that it plays back SPC files differently. (I'm still using the same headphones and still using winamp to play chiptunes.)

For example, when I listen to the Fortress track (16a Fortress.spc) from Super Mario World 1 (http://www.zophar.net/music/spc/super-mario-world-[super-mario-world-super-mario-bros-4].html), there's a track which keeps playing in the left ear only, and I find it very irritating.
One good thing is that for the intro to this track, I get the "left to right ear effect" (which is something I never knew existed because I was using a lousier onboard sound card previously). But I rather lose this and not have a background track constantly play in only 1 ear.

Is there a way (to configure the SPC plugin) to just play all tracks in both ears equally?

Thanks.

Alpha-II SPC Player v3.3.4 (x86) in_snes.dll

I've forgotten where I downloaded it from already, it has been many years since I last searched for this plugin because I keep backing up and re-using my old files even when I get a new computer.

We have it catalogued as SNESamp.

In Winamp, go to Options > Preferences > Plugins > Input > Alpha-II SPC Player v3.3.4 (x86) in_snes.dll > Configure > DSP, change the DSP Emulation to Custom, and change the channels to Monaural.

After changing to Monaural, winamp crashes the moment I play the file, and attempts to send an error report (although I can't because it says I have no email program).

I'm using Winamp 5.64 (the latest version I think).
And wow the latest version of the SNESamp plugin is 7 years old.

The latest version of WinAmp is 5.66. Sending an error report would be useless, though, because WinAmp has been discontinued and is no longer under development.

I just checked the name of the installer file I downloaded 2 days ago, and it is indeed for 5.66 (winamp5666_full_en-us_redux.exe). The winamp program itself displays 5.64 (likely a typo) when I click on "Nullsoft Winamp" in the main menu.

I heard about winamp not being updated for a long time, but their website seems to indicate that that may be changing "soon" (http://www.winamp.com/).

Hrm. Apparently a company bought WinAmp in January of 2014. According to archive.org, the current "There's more coming soon" page has been there for almost a year and a half now, though. Looks like the forum is still active, at least. As is Shoutcast, when I didn't realize. Guess that answers the question of what to use for the radio program I was thinking of broadcasting soon.

Back
Top Bottom