SNES SPC music not looping

G

godzfire

Hello everyone. Been a long time of user of Zophar's site over the many decades. Finally decided to go back and update a lot of my old NES and SNES music files, many which date back to the late 90s and early 00s.

However, while I didn't have any issues with the NES NSFs (although none seem to be ID3 tagged), all the SNES SPCs I downloaded didn't loop! Thankfully I caught this before I threw out my trusty old unlabeled (but looped!) ones. This wasn't just a few of them, it seems that every single game I tried that I needed didn't loop and faded out.

I went on Discord to alert staff and I was directed to come here for post this issue, so I am following up! Hopefully someone can make these corrections and help me out. :)

Can you name me an exact game? I do have the files from the previous version, I tried a few and the sets looks exactly the same to me.

Here is a list of SPCs I have, you can take your pick which ones on the site, they all fade out. Using Audio Overload for OSX (https://www.bannister.org/software/ao.htm), which I can confirm does play looped versions as like I said most of my backups do.

Donkey Kong Country 1
Killer Instinct 1
Kirby Super Star
Mario Paint
Mega Man X1
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
NBA Jam
NBA Jam - Tournament Edition
SimCity
Star Fox 1
Street Fighter II
Stunt Race FX
Super Godzilla
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers
Tecmo Super Bowl
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Tournament Fighters
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV - Turtles in Time
WWF RAW
WWF Royal Rumble
WWF Super Wrestlemania
WWF WrestleMania The Arcade Game

Very sorry for the delay getting back to you, been dealing with some bad health issues. Here are all the SPC sets I have (just 27). All of them properly loop with the exception of Donkey Kong Country 1. Hopefully you guys can figure out why the ones on the site aren't looping as mine aren't labeled that descriptive or have a lot of embedded metadata.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/1pz3ts

I don't have the oldest possible copy of ZD with me right now (I keep backups at an external location), and the copy I do have doesn't have files this old.

So once I'm able to get the oldest HDD (read: when I visit my parents) I will check what is going on.

Just curious if the current ones that are uploaded and have all the proper naming and metadata done can be modified to loop? Might save a lot of time?

Quite frankly I am not sure if looping is some sort of an advantage. Many of the looping tracks have just 15 seconds of music looping over 3 minutes. For example, your SPC sets have Killer Instinct 1 with 30 tracks at 3 minutes each, that's 90 minutes. Without looping, the total set is only 25 minutes.

So, I think just as many people appreciate fade-outs.

In order to make the current SPCs loop, open them in Foobar2000 with foo_gep plugin installed.

If you would like to reset the whole set, select all the SPCs, right click, select "Tagging" and then select "Set Length".
For a single SPC, right click, select "Tagging" and then "Edit Length".

In both cases, write in length "3:00" and Fade to "0".

And that's it, you're back to your full length SPC tracks.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to help with problems with a Mac, as I don't have one.

But the SPC loop/fade-out settings are just a tag in the SPC file. The files themselves do not change. So any program that will let you change the tags for SPC files can reset them to 3 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom