Old game systems emulated on the NDS?

shadowdorothy

I wondering if it's possible to emulate non-nintendo games on the NDS. I know with an R4DS (or your homebrew cartridge of choice) you can emulate the nes snes gb and gbc. But can you emulate an Atari, commodore, or Sega system on the DS? I wondering this because I never have a lot of time to sit down and play games, so it would be nice to take the games with me on the go, that and it's a good way to check compatibility. Some times if you try to play a patched game on a home brew use cart it doesn't work.
I'm more interested in Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis.
If you can help me I'd apiercate it. Sorry, I can't spell.

JenesisDS is in fact very awesome. Decent emulation, and it has pretty good sound. Most games run at full speed even with the sound (from what I know, emulation of the Genesis' sound was a huge feat on the DS). May as well mention some other systems...there is also a Master System emulator called ApprenticeMinus from the same guy (don't know much about it) and another one called DSMasterPlus (I think) that seems pretty good.

There is also NeoDS, which is a suprisingly good Neo-Geo emulator. Not all games run full speed at this point, but most get pretty close if they don't attain full speed. It doesn't support the synth sound of the Neo, but it does play streaming sound which quite a few games seem to use anyway. There are some other random arcade emulators too (one for 1942, one for Ghosts n' Goblins, MaracaDS which emulates a host of them).

K thanks. That helps, but what about commodore? I guessing that because it's a dos run system you can't run it on a NDS.

ok I've been meaning to say this a while, but I swear, whenever I see your avatar, it looks like he's being, uhm... serviced, off camera, if you know what I mean.

ok I've been meaning to say this a while, but I swear, whenever I see your avatar, it looks like he's being, uhm... serviced, off camera, if you know what I mean.

....... now that i think about it, it does sorta look like that.
And I'll take a look at frodoDS. If it works I'll write a review for the site.

enh, I still believe that the NDS emulates consoles poorly due to the inadequate vertical resolution that is needed.

enh, I still believe that the NDS emulates consoles poorly due to the inadequate vertical resolution that is needed.

I haven't run into this. Super SF2 plays in the SNES emulator. Gunstar Heroes plays just fine in JEnesisDS. Stella plays circus Atari correctly. and most games play just fine on nesDS. occasionally, there's some squishing, but most of the time you can't even tell.

the DS has become my emulation machine of choice. I'm constantly being impressed by what people can make this thing do.

NES emulation works fine for me, I can play stuff like Duck Tales fine, there doesn't seem to be any scaling issues, like there was for pocketNES on the GBA. I haven't tried any other emulators (I got my R4 so I can play Japan-only stuff like Jump Ultimate Stars and Arino No Chousenjou), but I presume that for most older consoles and the 80s microcomputers like the ZX81 the vertical resolution isn't that much of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom