My Mac OSX Tiger crashes constantly!

Diego Mendez

Just as the subject says, this stupid PPC Mac OSX 10.4.11 on
PowerMac 3.5 crashes at anytime, can't rid of this!

I had emulators on a CD, and they are: Snes9x, Genesis Plus, Nestopia,
SMS Plus, and KiGB + Boycott Advance on a USB, plus their roms.

The most common ways are re-installing Mac (I don't have the CD),
erasing/formating (it might not do anything), and making a new
account (I can't create one as when I try it doesn't appear), so try
to not to mention them. Help is appreciated.

And, yes, I'm a returning member, after the whole simple NES sprite
changing stuff.

My suggestion would be to ask for help on a forum where a majority of the population actually knows something about MacOS, rather than one where a majority of the tiny population are either ignorant of or actively loathe Macs. (I'm not trying to start an OS fanboy war here, I'm just pointing out that asking for help with a Mac here is about one step above asking on one of Microsoft's forums.)

My suggestion would be to ask for help on a forum where a majority of the population actually knows something about MacOS, rather than one where a majority of the tiny population are either ignorant of or actively loathe Macs. (I'm not trying to start an OS fanboy war here, I'm just pointing out that asking for help with a Mac here is about one step above asking on one of Microsoft's forums.)

Actually, I've seen in the archive that some admin wanted to
change everything here to be Mac exclusive. So, I thought I
try here first. If no body answers within three days, I guess
I have to go Apple (or Mac Rumors) for that.

Actually, I've seen in the archive that some admin wanted to
change everything here to be Mac exclusive. So, I thought I
try here first. If no body answers within three days, I guess
I have to go Apple (or Mac Rumors) for that.

You.. um... might want to check the date of that announcement.

I would recommend Tech Support Forum. I've had good luck there in the past with various issues and they have a board specifically for Mac related problems.

Our old friends are back, lol.

Yea, just it takes some minutes (maybe 15) without crashing, near the end it
does. It's a PowerMac 3.5 which came from 2002, you know. I'm tired of being
a Mac user, I love to get back to Windows. Sadly, I don't have the money for
that. Just all what I want here is the solution, I'll go to tech support later if still
no real help. And, anybody experienced those crashes while having some of the
emulators above?

What kind of crash are you experiencing? Is it a kernel panic (grey screen with the power icon and instructions to reboot) or is it just Finder crashing?

What kind of crash are you experiencing? Is it a kernel panic (grey screen with the power icon and instructions to reboot) or is it just Finder crashing?

You are the only one who asked a question like this? Really good.
The gray screen of death/kernel panic (as you mentioned), and software crashing (like Safari). Yesterday, my brother's browser (Firefox) crashed,
and after that, every time I clicked on it in the dock it showed me the
"We're Sorry" page (Firefox's variant of the normal crash report page).

And about the "Finder crashing", I remember that when I pressed the
enter button on a file to rename (it was a Genesis hack), the desktop
removed the icons and showed it back (much like what happens when
you re-launch Finder from the force quit menu). And just like Firefox,
it kept doing it every time I want to rename something (until I restarted
the computer).

Sorry for the long post anyway. But I hope the problem gets solved
by now.

My guess would be that it's dead. Try replacing all of the hardware & software and see if that fixes it.

Yet, it needs a Mac technical. But at the same, they fix a Mac with a high 500 pounds. So, looks like there is no way out. Have to wait the Windows.

Bad hardware and filesystem problems are the most common causes of kernel panics, such as the one you're experiencing. To rule out any filesystem issues, I would recommend running both Repair Disk and Repair Disk Permissions from the Disk Utility, found in Applications > Utilities. Assuming this doesn't find and correct your issue, I would move on to hardware. If you have more than one memory module, try to run the computer with each module by itself. If you notice the crashes stop after removing a certain module, you can easily chalk this up to a bad piece of RAM.

Unfortunately, without the OS disc there's not much more you can do from this point. If you had the disc, you could run Apple's Hardware Diagnostic or attempt a reinstall of the operating system.

If you happen to have another Mac running 10.4.11 - 10.5.x (an iBook for example) laying around, you could put the iBook in target mode, FireWire it to your desktop, boot your desktop while holding down the Option key and choose to boot to the iBook's hard drive. This would easily let you test a known working installation on your hardware. This would at least let you narrow it down to either a hardware or a software problem.

As a last piece of advice though, I wouldn't bother putting too much effort into this machine. Apple has long abandoned the PowerPC hardware at this point and compatible software will become harder and harder to find. If you are looking for another Mac, you could easily find some reasonably priced early Intel machines on eBay or even check the refurbished section of Apple's online store.

Ok, Vincet. Your advices were worth the time, but unfortunly nothing of those will do (not even the Windows solution 'at this point'), plus I don't have any idea what a memory module is.
But I got money enough for fixing the Mac at a technical. I might retrieve it at Sunday. If I run into a problem like this, please don't mention eBay. I'll be haunted by the rumors of those hackers, and Macs, wether old or new are expensive.

Do you have the emulators I mentioned? I stopped putting it in my drive because of this problem. I heard also about the 'safe boot', but never tried it. And finally, sorry for being too late. I know how impatient I the Touch.

Back
Top Bottom