is there anything that can play these?

I agree. You're not 'fixing' the ROMs, you're breaking the ROMs. At some point, emulators will get more accurate and the 'fixed' ROMs may well stop working, but the ROMs (and use of older emulators) will be widespread enough that users will encounter problems and blame the emulator. Reminds me of older, broken versions of Internet Explorer giving us the nightmare that is 'quirks mode'.

'Quirks mode' ?? My god, I still have nightmares about IE period. It's "The Thing That Wouldn't Die".

Ideally, the ROMs shouldn't be modified at all, it's the job of emulators to be modified in order to work properly with the original ROMs. Doing things any other way is an ugly hack that will come back to bite us eventually.

I agree 100%. And, to top it off, if I wanted to play those two games bad enough, I'd go out and buy them.

'Quirks mode' ?? My god, I still have nightmares about IE period. It's "The Thing That Wouldn't Die".
Microsoft are still trying to get Trident up to scratch, but Acid3 says it all. Internet Explorer 8.0 beta 2 gets 21/100. Firefox 3.1 beta 3 gets 93/100, while Opera 10.0 alpha 1 and the latest developer builds of Safari 4 get 100/100.

There is hope though. Microsoft are apparently considering a switch to WebKit (used in Safari and Google Chrome) at some point after IE8, it can't come soon enough in my opinion.

I agree 100%. And, to top it off, if I wanted to play those two games bad enough, I'd go out and buy them.
How new are these games? I was under the impression that GBA is officially 'abandoned' by Nintendo now, hence the new DSi (still exclusive to Japan) dropping the GBA slot in favour of an SD slot. It seems third-party developers may still be making some GBA games, but what's the point really? Move to the DS already...

And whocrazy, Since this is an EEPROM issue, I think that you would need to apply a patch to make them work. IMHO, it's easier to look for the hacked dumps. Is there a hacker around here that can help whocrazy?

Does save patching with a tool such as GBATA work? That would be pretty much patching the game to use SRAM rather than EEPROM for saving.

Nope, that doesn't work. According to GBATA, both Rocky dumps use the same type of EEPROM. The only visible difference seen while using GBATA is the CRC32. An active hacker should be able to shed some light in the EEPROM topic. Oh! and Top Gun has another type of problem. It uses FLASH512. Those who use the goodgba set, why don't you search for a playable version?

Nope, that doesn't work. According to GBATA, both Rocky dumps use the same type of EEPROM. The only visible difference seen while using GBATA is the CRC32. An active hacker should be able to shed some light in the EEPROM topic. Oh! and Top Gun has another type of problem. It uses FLASH512. Those who use the goodgba set, why don't you search for a playable version?

Boy, how irritating this ROM is. It's worse than getting Super Mario Advance - Super Mario Bros 3 working properly. :p

whocrazy said:
Hi there. I have 2 dumps, the first is rocky for the gameboy advanced, and the second is topgun combat zones, also for the GBA.
These games have a curious problem, the start button won't work, the main screen comes up, but if I try pressing start, nothing happens.
I've tried both visual boy advance and no$GBA and I'm still having the same problem. I even when to the vba-m website and downloaded all the svn compiled releases.
Is there any emulator out there that will play these games?
Thanks.
To answer your original question, the clean dumps are unplayable by any emulator, though they should work with the real hardware, in theory. Both dumps have hacked versions which make them playable with current emulators. Without "fixing" the perfect dumps, you simply won't be able to play them, unless the emulators are somehow modified to work despite the original flaws of both games.

Back
Top Bottom