If you post here on New Year's Day...

3am: got home after drinking.

3:30-5:30am: just started falling asleep and then got that pukey feeling. Didn't feel like getting up to puke, so I just sat up in bed every time I felt pukish.

5:30am: remote control to my radio station called. Problem.

5:40am: called again.

6am: called again.

6:15am: called again.

6:30am: called again

7am: called again

7:15am: called again.

7:30am: called again. Disabled alarm reporting.

8:00am: still trying to fall asleep.............

8:30am: called AGAIN because disabling alarm reporting expires after 60 mins. Fired up auxiliary transmitter, got in my car, started driving.

9:30am: realized that the keys to the transmitter facility and studio are sitting in my house. Turned around.

9:45am: called again. Different problem this time.

11:30am: arrived at site. Fault lights everywhere.

Turned the transmitter down to 500 watts, drove to the antenna farm, and in the pouring rain I went to the energized tower. Water leaked into the base unit but that's not the problem...it must be the actual antenna.

Back to the transmitter building...turned off the radio station and locked out the transmitters. Back to the antenna.

Inspected the base...I'm now soaking wet because not only is the rain falling on me, but also all the water dripping off the 170 foot high tower. I shorted out the base of the tower with a hammer to make sure any static was drained, then inspected the spark gap. A wet, dead, previously fried bug was in the middle causing it to arc over. Said every bad word I could think of.

Locked it back up and drove back to the transmitter building. Fired up the tranny at 5 kilowatts. Antenna system is now detuned. Spent the next hour field tuning the damn thing and checking the directional array tolerances.

Just for fun, I decided to test the emergency generator...so I walked up to the big 200 amp box with a lever that says "SERVICE DISCONNECT". Pulled it down, site went black, generator kicked on, everything came back. Yaaaay. Threw the lever back up and the 10 minute timeout was activated.

Stood around for 10 minutes enjoying that something actually worked......and......BAM. Transfer switch went back to power company power. Good? No. A fuse just blew on the stupid voltage regulator for the backup transmitter. Well, I'm tired...so I'll fix it later. Drove home.

3:00pm: arrive at home again.
<P ID="signature"><marquee direction=right scrollamount=10>
hsrun.gif
</marquee></P>

Back
Top Bottom