Ideology is corrupting

JadussD

This is still an age of ideology. While not quite as bad as the 20th century, ideology still runs rampant. The reason that ideology is corrupting is that it is a distorted way of looking at reality. Instead of examining something as it is, ideology filters what is examined through a set of filters which limit oneself to an idea of good and evil which is based on a set of ideological constructs. This both limits ones options in dealing with an issue, and causes the issue itself to be judged based on artificial criteria. All lead to a dangerous disconnect from reality.

No ideology is immune to this. Capitalism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, anarchism, and traditionalism are all ideologies, and they all if given the chance will assert themselves at the expense of all else. Are free markets raping the environment to the point that entire ecosystems are dying? A libertarian would say that it is "wrong" for the government to step in. Communists believe in a teleological argument that humans are destined for communism. This is a dangerously naive belief which has its roots in Judeo-Christian millenialism. Seeking to fulfill this belief is dangerous and requires massive amounts of destruction in order to try to implement a fairy tale utopia.

Fascism is similar, but with the ideology being more aristocratic, faux-traditional, and militaristic. Fascism is especially notable as an ideology due to its proponents' tendency to redefine reality according to the whims of those in power. For instance, fascist philosopher Julius Evola shows through being an exaggerated extremist the tendency to try to redefine reality. He tried to cast Buddhism as "originally" being a "warrior religion". The idea is that reality is simply what those in power say it is, and that those in power need not try to understand reality, but may redefine it as suits them.

Ideology is always in opposition to reality. Its prevalence is largely due to the mass society made possible through mass communications. Mass amounts of people can be brought to believe in a particular ideology, and the breakdown of traditional religion tends to make people desire to be part of a larger whole which they find in a limited sense in ideology. Don't fall for ideology; approach reality as it is, and determine solutions accordingly.

Your description of Ideology is of a "Worst-case-scenario" type. Ideology can actually be a useful tool in reality. It doesn't have to be what you describe it to be. You have a *very* narrow-minded view of it...

I'm a big fan of the "shit happens theory". When something happens, oh well, "shit happens". :)

I'm more of a reality type of guy. I tend to only believe what I can see, or can be explained. For that reason, I'm an atheist.

I'm a big fan of the "shit happens theory". When something happens, oh well, "shit happens". :)

I'm more of a reality type of guy. I tend to only believe what I can see, or can be explained. For that reason, I'm an atheist.

Reality is what you can see and can be explained?

Sir, may I suggest to you that this view is basically hubris?

Consider what you are saying. You are saying that reality is what can be explained and understood by your glorified primate brain. Perhaps it would be wise to understand the limitations of neo-simian cognitive functions and not ascribe reality to them?

Your description of Ideology is of a "Worst-case-scenario" type. Ideology can actually be a useful tool in reality. It doesn't have to be what you describe it to be. You have a *very* narrow-minded view of it...

Ideology is a very useful tool for convincing the people to do what you want them to. If you believe your own bullshit, I'm sorry, but you're being silly.

I'm sorry, but you're being silly.

No sir, I believe you are the silly one!
I use ideology almost every day. Everyone has some simple groundrules they live by. Sometimes they change soemtimes they don't. It's all part of a person's personal ideology.

Does this mean I have a

Liberalist-Conformist-Neo-Conseravitive-Seperationalists-Idealogic-Obsessive-Marxist-New Testament-Left Wing-Tyrannicaly Challanged

Point of View?

Back
Top Bottom