I want to homebrew my DS, will I be all set here?

PetMetroid

Hey, I want to homebrew my DS and play the few roms and patched ones I have saved to my computer. I have a new black Lite running version 5 (I think, unless I just forgot, the screens turned pink when I interrupted Pictochat by ejecting a game.) Anyways...

Passcard3 (flashme), Supercard Lite RUMBLE (MicroSD), and of coarse a MicroSD card.
Are these OK? Are there any other products I should consider instead?
<P ID="signature">CAUTION:
Do NOT feed the metroids!</P>

you need physical hardware to hack a DS to run homebrew?
<P ID="signature"><hr /><a href=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2390441161565021566>op3</a></P>

> you need physical hardware to hack a DS to run homebrew?
>
Well, you gotta get files on it, but there may be a way to hack the DS itself, but flashing it like this is so much more convenient, and safer. I'm only bummed I have to go out and buy a tiny ass card, but that's ok, I like the small size of the gameboy cart. For those who don't know, you can buy a couple of things to quickly run emulators and other gizmo's on the DS. Many of you know about the gameboy card adapter, but you can use that to run programs on a DS. If you use a special DS cartridge, it can boot up that gameboy card adapter, but it still thinks it's playing a DS game, so it still uses the two screens, the touch screen, and the processing speed (supposedly.) From what I did research on, that's what it does. By default, you can listen to music, view pictures, watch movies, and ...stuff. I'm prolly gonna order these tonight, but if anyone here knows this stuff, would you please help verify my choices for me? I would appreciate it.

Actually, I did a little more research and found a site called ModChipStore. There I found a whole bundle of the flash cart, the gameboy cart, AND a 1Gig microSD card. It is boxed up and called EZ Flash Lite. If this is NOT what I'm looking for, someone let me know, cause I'll be ordering it tomorrow. It says it runs homebrew applications, so I am convinced to believe that they will run the emulators I want to use.

> flash cart, the gameboy cart, AND a 1Gig microSD card. It
> is boxed up and called EZ Flash Lite. If this is NOT what
> I'm looking for, someone let me know, cause I'll be ordering
> it tomorrow. It says it runs homebrew applications, so I am
> convinced to believe that they will run the emulators I want
> to use.

That will work, but i personally would really recommend looking into the DS-Xtreme. The price is a little higher, but when you consider what it does, it is most definitely worth it. I currently am saving up for one.

<P ID="signature"><center>
sarahsig.png

Delightful!</center></P>

I have nothing useful to add but please check back and do a review on whatever you buy. I'm looking to get something like this for myself.
<P ID="signature">http://www.badjawa.com
signature.jpg
</a></img>

Wii console code - 7551377053011860</P>

> Well, you gotta get files on it, but there may be a way to
> hack the DS itself, but flashing it like this is so much
> more convenient, and safer.

That's because you're not actually flashing it. Flashing a dslite is somewhat riskier than flashing a ds phat, because of the smaller design the SL1 has a tiny part next to it which if you short it with the SL1 it will turn your ds off (if you're flasing it at the time it'll brick your ds).

> I have nothing useful to add but please check back and do a
> review on whatever you buy. I'm looking to get something
> like this for myself.

You should check out http://www.gbatemp.netgbatemp</a>, it has reviews (or will have shortly) for most of the slot 1 carts. Thusfar slot 1 is lacking in homebrew support though it seems, although they're working on it.

<P ID="signature">---
do you buy stuff from http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1wp6.htmlplay-asia</a>? if you do, help a bro out and buy from that link :) </P>

I bet the 9th sage could tell you what cart thing to get. He has all the toys for it, but for me I just have a GBA flash cart. What you need to flash your DS is a passme 2 or something like it like nopass or something that lets you run DS homebrew. Get flashme, I think its ver 7 now (webpage is down because of the dude that does it is lazy). Flash that to your whatever lets say gba flash card. PLUG IN YOUR FUCKING DS. DON'T DO THIS YOU COULD BE FUCKED! Only like a part of the flash rom for the DS is write protected so to unwriteprotect you have to short SL1 (in the cover in a hole where the battery is) DO NOT TURN IT OFF WHILE FLASHING!!! EVER! Once at 100% then can you turn it off. If all went well great!
Now get NDS Patcher. Drag your roms over and it makes a .nds.gba patch and flash it to your thing and enjoy.
<P ID="signature">The pipes clangor all the time!</P>

> I bet the 9th sage could tell you what cart thing to get.
> He has all the toys for it, but [blahblahblah...]

Hehe, yeah, I've heard about the battery eat-up. Flashme is the firmware? And flashing that makes the firmware permanent or what? And does the patcher let me play GBA apps on the DS?

Thanks, I'm gonna do one more price check, then I think I'll be ready to order.

Actually, I have a couple of semi-off topic questions, you think Sage knows... Are there any internet apps available for download? If not, or if otherwise, does the Opera internet pack come with a card reader? It looks like that's what that other piece is; if that's the case, upon purchasing that later, I'll just get the cheaper old DS version.

> Hehe, yeah, I've heard about the battery eat-up. Flashme is
> the firmware? And flashing that makes the firmware
> permanent or what? And does the patcher let me play GBA
> apps on the DS?

Yeah flashme is the hacked firmware. Its permanent till you flash it again. If you have to send your DS back to nintendo for some reason you can reflash the original firmware back. This is all on the flashme site if it ever gets back up. I have no idea where it could be mirrored at. The site has been down for sometime just because of lazy.
The patcher lets you play NDS games from the GBA slot. It patches it for the rom to look for the files to load from the correct spot. This will not work for alot of games and with the gba slot only 32MB can be used. Have a ROM bigger it won't work.

> Thanks, I'm gonna do one more price check, then I think I'll
> be ready to order.

Wait for the 9th sage to say what to get he will know.

> Actually, I have a couple of semi-off topic questions, you
> think Sage knows... Are there any internet apps available
> for download?

there is a few like FTP servers and stuff. A touch of war gets online and is a cool game. You can surf the web with a linux text browser. There are 2(I think) GFX browsers in the works http://okiwi.blogspot.com/okiwi</a> being one of them. The Opera browser is going to use the GBA slot for cache. The card is the browser itself.
<P ID="signature">The pipes clangor all the time!</P>

> I'm prolly gonna
> order these tonight, but if anyone here knows this stuff,
> would you please help verify my choices for me? I would
> appreciate it.
>
I myself ordered something similar the other day, but I haven't yet got a clue where to start on homebrewing and hacking NDS ROMs, hoping to get some help on here if I decide to do it. I ordered an M3 SD Perfect, which is a GBA flash cart but you actually store the stuff on SD like, and thus need to write to the SD card yourself with an SD writer/reader(it doesn't come with anything, or an SD card). I asked around a bit, and most people recommended it over others as it has alot of functionality. It cost me £50 for it, Passkey3 included, plus like £6 postage and if it arrives tomorrow then it took two days to arrive(from a uk online shop). I'm not sure if any of this is what you're looking for, but I did see a review of it the other day, for what it's worth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_adapter
http://www.iso420.org/nds/m3sd/index.htm
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=30243

(Dunno if this helps much, if at all, hope it does. I know I mentioned some stuff you probably already know, I hadn't realised)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Rummy on 01/11/07 07:33 PM.</FONT></P>

> I have a new
> black Lite running version 5 (I think, unless I just forgot,
> the screens turned pink when I interrupted Pictochat by
> ejecting a game.) Anyways...

Heh, either way, the current FlashMe works on any DS model, except for possibly those Chinese iQue ones...not sure about that. :p

> Passcard3 (flashme), Supercard Lite RUMBLE (MicroSD), and of
> coarse a MicroSD card.
> Are these OK? Are there any other products I should
> consider instead?

PassCard3 should be fine...it's a NoPass if I'm not mistaken, so it should be painless to use (that's the only way to go these days...PassMe2-type hardware which is the only other thing you could use is a pain in the ass).

Never used the Supercard, so I don't know a ton about it, but just know that with the rumble version you can't run DS Homebrew that expects a GBA Flashcart, one very noteworthy one being SnezziDS, which is a progressing SNES emulator (GBA version as well), getting pretty decent now.

So far as I know, the rumble version lacks the 32 MB of RAM a lot of those DS specific flash carts use to mimic a GBA flash cart...this also means no GBA games will run on it. And use the SuperCard software to patch it...even if NDS Patcher works (and it shouldn't since that Supercard lacks the 32 MB of RAM), NDS Patcher is old and a lot of stuff will not work with it.

*edit*
If you do want to flash your DS Lite, let me give you some tips...first off, be careful. If you touch the SL1 pad (shorting this with a paper clip or whatever gets rid of the write protection, letting you flash the firmware) and touch the metal casing that is off to one side at the same time (shorting them together)...it will usually turn off your DS, but it could possibly screw it up.

Easiest way to flash a DS Lite is to take a small screw driver (one that can fit in the hole behind the battery cover where SL1 resides) and cover it with tape so nothing but the tip is showing. This will insulate it so you don't have to worry about messing up your DS Lite. It made it a lot easier for me to line it up properly too so it would short without me having to sit there for half an hour prodding the thing. >_<

*edit 2*
Oh yes, and if you want to know what I have, I HAD an older M3 Perfect CF version, but it got a bit messed up and I attempted to fix it, thus destroying it completely. After I save up some extra money I intend to get either an M3 mini-SD version (GBA Cart sized) or the newer M3 Lite (DS Lite dust cover sized).
<P ID="signature">http://www.xanga.com/ZeldaDD
z54103151.png

In the post there is a cow...</a></P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by The 9th Sage on 01/13/07 02:04 AM.</FONT></P>

> Yeah flashme is the hacked firmware. Its permanent till you
> flash it again. If you have to send your DS back to
> nintendo for some reason you can reflash the original
> firmware back.

Best thing to do is if you are worried is to use the Stealth version (basically can't tell the DS has been flashed)...by the way, if anyone needs the most current versions (so far as I know) of FlashMe, FlashMeStealth, and NoFlashMe, I should have them all here.
<P ID="signature">http://www.xanga.com/ZeldaDD
z54103151.png

In the post there is a cow...</a></P>

Back
Top Bottom