Game Music Box for Mac OS

blargg

I'm working on a new game music player for Mac OS X (and Mac OS 9) called Game Music Box.

gmb.gif

It supports playlists of Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, and Master System music (SPC, NSF/NSFE, GBS, VGM, GYM) with transparent decompression of zip, gzip, and RAR archives. It also supports batch recording to wave files and uses an efficient band-limited synthesis engine for good sound quality and low processor load (typically 5-15% on my 400 MHz G3-upgraded PowerMac). Full C++ source code is also available.

Game Music Box Home

Let me know what you think of it (and whether you encounter any bugs).

Short answer: The source code is under LGPL

Long answer: The application, general libraries, and Game_Music_Emu (core sound engine) are under LGPL. The decompressors (zlib, unrar) are under their respective licenses. All the source code used to build the executable is in the tgz archive on the website.

I'll add this to the development page since it is annoying to have to download it to find out.

Nobody does it better...

Makes me feel sad for the rest. Nobody does it quite as good as AO. Baby, it's the best.

Good luck with it, though. Competition breeds innovation.

Re: Nobody does it better...

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Makes me feel sad for the rest. Nobody does it quite as good as AO. Baby, it's the best.

<hr></blockquote>

My main goal was accurate reproduction of the original console's sound without the aliasing so commonly heard in sound emulators. Apparently inaccurate reproduction has become the benchmark in many places where the original console's sound is unheard of. I challenge anyone to post samples of Audio Overload's output being closer to the original than Game Music Box :)

Back
Top Bottom