File transfer, parallel port?

Tsyni

I need to transfer some files between two laptops, and I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do it. I looked at google and I couldn't really find what I was looking for. There seemed to be 500 programs to try, so I thought I'd ask here. I am also on slow, wilderness dial-up, so it takes a lot of time to search through a bunch of crappy pages. Anyway, the first laptop is running Windows 95 and has a floppy drive, parallel port, serial port...that's it. It's an old, old beast. I thought, for some reason, that you could transfer files using the parallel port, so I was curious if anyone has any information on that. The floppy drive is the 5 3/4" or whatever the heck the larger size is, and there are enough files that it'd be a pain to transfer using it, and I don't even have any of those disks, haha. The other laptop is running Windows XP. Thanks for any info.
<P ID="signature"></P>

Since you say one of the machines is running XP I assume it has at least 1 USB port. Something along the lines of this would serve the purpose. Remove the hard drive from the machine with Windows 95, plug it into that adapter, then plug the adapter into the XP machine. Transfer the files, then put the hard drive back in the Windows 95 machine.
<P ID="signature"></P>

If you're in the mood to build or buy http://www.nullmodem.com/LapLink.htma cable</a> you can use Direct Cable connection in Win 95, and I assume XP has something similar.
I used this between 95 and 98 once, built my own cable and oh was I ever so proud.
I assume the one I built was the second one on that page... I actually did it from the DOS help page for InterLnk.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by hcs on 05/30/06 01:17 PM.</FONT></P>

using the parallel port will be extremely slow.... if you think surfing the net on dialup is bad then you sure as hell dont want to do this. i recomend either getting a 2.5" - 3.5" hard drive converter and copying the files on a PC or using an external drive enclosure
<P ID="signature"></P>

Back
Top Bottom