Eddy Grant vs Gorillaz

Cornellius

From Billboard.com:

Gorillaz has long been applaudedas one of pop music's most unique outfits. But now, Damon Albarn's virtual band is being accused of plagiarism.

Reggae singer Eddy Grant, best known for his 1982 hit "Electric Avenue," has claimed that the animated band took significant portions of his song, "Time Warp" to make their recent single "Stylo" without giving him credit. "This is pure piracy, it is an obvious infringement of my song," he said yesterday in a statement (via addictmusic). "Anyone who knows 'Time Warp' will know this is 'Time Warp' with people singing and rapping over it, [along] with funny little noises. 'Time Warp' is a very popular song and has been a staple of the DJ scene for many years and I feel total disrespect from Gorillaz and their management company.

"It's such an obvious copy that from day one the band and their management should have taken control of this situation with EMI Publishing," Grant's Rant continues. "I would like the outcome to be that the band admits that they have lifted my song, that I have a full credit for the song and an apology from the band." Currently, Grant not appear to be seeking any monetary damages.

Albarn -- nor any of Gorillaz two-dimensional musicians, for that matter -- have commented on the accusation ... so why don't you be the judge? Listen to both songs below and tell us if you think Grant is owed a credit on the track.

Eddy Grant - Time Warp

Gorillaz - Stylo

Source: billboard.com
Article: http://www.billboard.com/#/news/did-gorillaz-steal-stylo-from-eddy-grant-1004075799.story

Discuss.

So guys, what do you think about these songs ? Would you say that Gorillaz "copied" parts of Eddy Grant' song, or is it mere coincidence ?

There are 4 notes that are exact pitch tone and timing

I would say a good possibility yes, but it's also called sampling; even though I think that is stealing as well
Plus, its so simple it could be coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom