Black Metal fans....lol

> http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/top10/10blackmetal.html
>
> funny shit
>

the satyricon is one of the all time most cheesiest pictures i've ever seen, yes. it's laughable. unfortunately, they go into the realm of "not getting it and making fun of it" with the fenriz picture, which is a classic photo within the black metal genre and gets to the heart of what black metal was about in picture form: monochromatic, extreme, passionate, often solitary, obscure, and darkly imposing. normals will just see it as over the top, but fail to realize that black metal was over-the-top by necessity, and that such posing in photographs was not actually meaningless posturing, but was a form of visual expression that completely and honestly expressed how they felt about things. people here in america, with their disdain of anything dramatic in their music, of course, want their musicians to seem as much like them as possible, so that their heros affirm their lifestyles, so anything dramatic is of course cheese. they also have a ravenous desire to kill all artistic expression, and most will not listen to darkthrone, the band which fenriz is a member of, for more than two seconds because it's minimalistic and dark and abrasive, the vocals are condemnatory and hateful-sounding in a non-radio friendly way, and they just don't get it. ask not what your entertainment can do for you, but whether it was even intended to "entertain". some things are (Edit: NOT) meant to be passively listened to, they don't grab on to you, you have to meet them half-way and understand what they are all about before you can appreciate them, that's all i have to say on the manner.

<P ID="signature"><HR>
<CENTER>
tv.jpg
</center></P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by JadussD on 12/11/04 02:12 AM.</FONT></P>

> people here in america, with their disdain of
> anything dramatic in their music, of course, want their
> musicians to seem as much like them as possible, so that
> their heros affirm their lifestyles, so anything dramatic is
> of course cheese.

Strangely, that argument works just as well for Cats (the play) as it does for Black Metal.

<P ID="signature">---
A friend is just an enemy who doesn't have the guts to kill you.</P>

>so anything dramatic is
> of course cheese.

Dude, regardless of drama, homemade armbands with 10 inch carpenter nails and an obviously fake stuffed bird are cheese........lol
I like Black Metal but if you can't take the time to make fun of yourself what fun is life?

<P ID="signature">"Hey Butthead, what is teenspirit?"
"You mean you don't know? Dude, then I'm not gonna tell you."
- Beavis & Butthead</P>

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the satyricon is one of the all time most cheesiest pictures i've ever seen, yes. it's laughable. unfortunately, they go into the realm of "not getting it and making fun of it" with the fenriz picture, which is a classic photo within the black metal genre and gets to the heart of what black metal was about in picture form: monochromatic, extreme, passionate, often solitary, obscure, and darkly imposing. normals will just see it as over the top, but fail to realize that black metal was over-the-top by necessity, and that such posing in photographs was not actually meaningless posturing, but was a form of visual expression that completely and honestly expressed how they felt about things.

<hr></blockquote>

Well, it's still laughable. I'm sure they were being serious, but really it just comes off as goofy to somebody like me. I don't see "over-the-top", I see "totally disingenous, trying to look like a badass by failing miserably". That's fine though, I'm sure their fanbase is totally into them and that's cool. I'm sure black-metal-lovers would find my enjoyment of Country music just as crazy.

people here in america, with their disdain of anything dramatic in their music, of course, want their musicians to seem as much like them as possible, so that their heros affirm their lifestyles, so anything dramatic is of course cheese.

<hr></blockquote>

This has nothing to do with "drama". It has to do with metal and dark obscurity being completely foreign to me. "Whiskey Lullaby" is a country song, and I'm not sure you can paint it anything outside of "dramatic".

they also have a ravenous desire to kill all artistic expression, and most will not listen to darkthrone, the band which fenriz is a member of, for more than two seconds because it's minimalistic and dark and abrasive, the vocals are condemnatory and hateful-sounding in a non-radio friendly way, and they just don't get it. ask not what your entertainment can do for you, but whether it was even intended to "entertain". some things are (Edit: NOT) meant to be passively listened to, they don't grab on to you, you have to meet them half-way and understand what they are all about before you can appreciate them, that's all i have to say on the manner

<hr></blockquote>

And that's fine for these guys, because I'm sure they have a following of people that "get it". I'm not dawging it, I'm just getting a laugh out of what appears completely ridiculous in every way. Again, it's not about it being dramatic... I just tend to dislike things that are overly "dark".

<P ID="signature"></P>

Back
Top Bottom