Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes

Mind you, there have been others to do this sort of thing in the past.

I'm not so sure that's what they are doing. The demo of the game that was released a time ago had a lot of potential...it showed they had some good ideas and were executing them anyway. The "preview" videos also show things that I don't recall being in the demo.

Apparently a 98% beta has been leaked. I don't know if it's true yet, but it was bound to happen.

Hm...if it is true, I certainly hope nothing happens to Chrono Compendium. I don't know how adamant Squeenix is on this kind of thing.
*edit*
It would seem to be true. Posting the ROM here or saying where to get it is a ban. We should respect the wishes of Chrono Compendium. I also want to note that people can stop saying the project was fake can definitely stop. You can trust me on this, I'd have no reason to lie about it, nor am I the type.

I also want to note that people can stop saying the project was fake can definitely stop. You can trust me on this, I'd have no reason to lie about it, nor am I the type.
Now that I've got my hands on the leaked ROM, I can confirm this too. I'm definitely more inclined to believe the cease & desist letter was real now, and the hack does seem about 98% complete, with only some bits of NPC dialogue missing that I can see.

Now that I've got my hands on the leaked ROM, I can confirm this too. I'm definitely more inclined to believe the cease & desist letter was real now, and the hack does seem about 98% complete, with only some bits of NPC dialogue missing that I can see.

Yeah...there are some bugs here and there, but I'm enjoying it so far. The chapter after the prologue is hard though. o_O

It's not the 98% complete beta, it's a few months old.
Ah, I did suspect that myself, but figured the '98%' figure referred to the graphics, equipment, and new script, with the debug stuff and missing NPC text being the remaining 2%. But if this is a few months before the C&D letter, then I'm impressed. This is definitely a high quality hack, and it'd be a pity if the world never sees the near-finished product.

Ah, I did suspect that myself, but figured the '98%' figure referred to the graphics, equipment, and new script, with the debug stuff and missing NPC text being the remaining 2%. But if this is a few months before the C&D letter, then I'm impressed. This is definitely a high quality hack, and it'd be a pity if the world never sees the near-finished product.

Yeah...I feel bad that the only way I could ever play it is this leaked copy of it. They obviously spent a lot of time on it, and it just goes to waste because Square-Enix hates fan projects.

I realize it's their copyright and within their rights, but it still seems like a shame since if anything this would have enhanced sales of the DS version of the original (in my opinion, since you pretty much need to play the SNES or DS versions to understand a bunch of this...Chrono Cross helps too).

Yeah...I feel bad that the only way I could ever play it is this leaked copy of it. They obviously spent a lot of time on it, and it just goes to waste because Square-Enix hates fan projects.

I realize it's their copyright and within their rights, but it still seems like a shame since if anything this would have enhanced sales of the DS version of the original (in my opinion, since you pretty much need to play the SNES or DS versions to understand a bunch of this...Chrono Cross helps too).
Indeed, with Square-Enix doing very little (Chrono Trigger DS was just an exercise in laziness really), it's up to the fan projects to keep interest in the Chrono series alive. Unfortunately, Square-Enix's overzealous attempts to keep control are scaring talent away and pissing fans off. I've already decided it's time for me to take a break from Square-Enix games for a while, and that was pretty much all down to this one little project.

I was just on Digg and this hack was being discussed and a couple of responses I'll post here.

=================================

Ive contacted Squares legal department myself. They told me they never sent out a cease and desist for Crimson Echoes.

Either someone is lying or someone got sent a fake letter.

===================================

I called their legal department, the telephone number is 310-846-0400. Call them and ask them yourself. It might take a bit to get through though.

Thats because this all is bullshit. I got in touch with Squares legal department(Phone number, 310-846-0400) and when I was finally able to speak to someone, I was told they never sent out a cease and desist order for Crimson Echoes.

They started this drama because they were no where near done with the game. The admin from a famous rom hack site called Romhacking.net threatened to ban them from the site for starting all of this drama.

I already told you, man, by e-mail and PM

www.karlsonandkarlson.com

They defended my ass in the case Blizzard Inc. Vs. well... me... Concerning my Diablo 2 item shop (damn me for not being chinese and immune to US lawsuits)

They're specialized in intellectual property. Go to the website, e-mail joseph (preferably, my lawyer) and tell him Frank sent you. Really. Do it.

THIS FALL UNDER FAIR USE OF COPYRIGHT ACT. THIS IS EXACTLY LIKE A FANFICTION (see: fanctiction.net) AND THUS NOT ONLY TOLERATED BUT LEGAL. AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT CLAIM OWNERSHIP OF THE CHARACTERS OR SELL FOR A PROFIT THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL IN MAKING A FAN GAMES.

====================================

Intesting to say the least.

Intesting to say the least.
Well I thought so too, until I played the leaked ROM. At that point, the whole "They started this drama because they were no where near done with the game" shit becomes completely ridiculous because it's clearly a nearly-complete ROM hack. I'm inclined to think the others on Digg are just trolls trying to get attention, and nothing short of a public statement from Square-Enix can top-trump the actual ROM I've got here.

Well I thought so too, until I played the leaked ROM. At that point, the whole "They started this drama because they were no where near done with the game" shit becomes completely ridiculous because it's clearly a nearly-complete ROM hack.

And the leaked build was apparently from 6 - 12 months ago, imagine what the 98% build must be like.

And the leaked build was apparently from 6 - 12 months ago, imagine what the 98% build must be like.

I was actually focused on the point that this might be a drama, just might nothing more, since it said the admin of romhacking.net bitched them ought about it.

If anyone is friends with the admin at romhacking.net maybe you could check out if this is bullshit. I went to their forum and couldn't find any recent threads on crimson tide "I couldn't find a search for the forum so this was a browse of the thread names" and it makes me think that the admins deleted the threads if this is a fake drama. So if anyone knows an admin there try and find out what is going on as in is this real or just a publicity stunt.

I was actually focused on the point that this might be a drama, just might nothing more, since it said the admin of romhacking.net bitched them ought about it.

If anyone is friends with the admin at romhacking.net maybe you could check out if this is bullshit. I went to their forum and couldn't find any recent threads on crimson tide "I couldn't find a search for the forum so this was a browse of the thread names" and it makes me think that the admins deleted the threads if this is a fake drama. So if anyone knows an admin there try and find out what is going on as in is this real or just a publicity stunt.

That makes no sense though. It's proven by this old, leaked version that they put a ton of work into this, I'm afraid I don't understand why you'd think it's all fake.

*edit*
The C+D I mean. Why do all this work to NOT release it? You can tell they did the work, and were capable of doing the work (via the leak version and the videos on YouTube made of a play through of the near complete build during testing).

Last edited:
That makes no sense though. It's proven by this old, leaked version that they put a ton of work into this, I'm afraid I don't understand why you'd think it's all fake.

No I don't think it's all fake. I think the hack may be awesome but the letter was done to make the release huge if it is fake. Why they would do something like that I have no idea if they did.

I just figured if someone knew the admin at romhacking.net they could find out if the admin bitched them out because it's bullshit or not, nothing else.

Keep in mind that the admin of romhacking.net is a lying piece of shit who steals people's work and benefits from it against their will.

Yes. My stuff is hosted on that site without my permission and a DMCA takedown notice was ignored, so I'm in the process of taking legal action against the site.

Wow. I know they are supposed to be an archive, but I know that if anyone had ever requested we take anything down from here it'd be down in a heart beat. That's pretty nasty to keep it up like that.

Back
Top Bottom