Understanding .gbs code

sensei616

I'm wanting to understand and be able to read the assembly code used in Gameboy Sound files. I've read through the gbsspec.txt file, as well as info on the gameboy IO registers, and the gameboy CPU instruction table and I'm still not able to make any sense of the code or figure out what its doing.

For example, when I go to the address offset given by the Play Address or Initialization address(relative to the load address) the code is either repetitive or doesn't make sense in context. If i zero out several lines below starting at either the init or play addresses, the file still plays although with some glitched sounds in some songs when playing it. Which tells me that the code isn't the main code else none of the songs would play properly.

I feel like there's some piece of information I'm missing or I'm interpreting some written material wrong. If anyone knows of any more reference material regarding the .gbs sound file or has any suggestions regarding how to find the main code/routines in .gbs files that would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom