Classic NES doesn't work

Glass

None of the Classic NES games work. When you load the ROM it says "Game Pak Error - Please turn the Power off". Anyone know why, and how to get around it?

Course, you could just get the NES version, but that's not the point.

<P ID="signature"></P>

> None of the Classic NES games work. When you load the ROM it
> says "Game Pak Error - Please turn the Power off". Anyone
> know why, and how to get around it?

> Course, you could just get the NES version, but that's not
> the point.

???

<P ID="signature"><hr>
<a href=http://mute-net.sourceforge.net>나는 너를 죽일 것이다.</a> <-- use it
puzzl.png
</P>

> None of the Classic NES games work. When you load the ROM it
> says "Game Pak Error - Please turn the Power off". Anyone
> know why, and how to get around it?

The "Game Pak Error" is a result of a copy protection they have implemented to detect sram, when the actual save type is EEPROM. With these roms, you have to manually set the save type to EEPROM. Now, there is another block that has yet to be figured out. It is something the the real hardware is doing correctly, that the emulator is not doing correctly. Right now, until somebody fully researches why, none of the famicom/nes classics are playable, even if you manually set the correct save type.

<P ID="signature">http://sigx.yuriy.net/link.php][img]http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/sgx1/xcaitsith2.png[/img</P>

Listen to CaitSith2, he knows what he speaks of. However, the Classic NES Series games can be played on the GBA with a flash cart to my knowledge, but they haven't been emulated yet. The same thing was with the Japanese version of the series (Famicom Mini Vols. 1 and 2).

<P ID="signature">:D!</P>

> Right now, until somebody fully researches why,
> none of the famicom/nes classics are playable, even if you
> manually set the correct save type.

I think DreamGBA does work, even though VisualBoy Advance and Boycott Advance don't.

EDIT: And, now that I look at the page, I realize we don't have the latest DreamGBA up there. I'll fix that sometime today. :p

<P ID="signature">Of all the words of thought or pen, the saddest are these: "what might have been".</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Paladyn on 06/07/04 10:31 AM.</FONT></P>

> Listen to CaitSith2, he knows what he speaks of. However,
> the Classic NES Series games can be played on the GBA with a
> flash cart to my knowledge, but they haven't been emulated
> yet. The same thing was with the Japanese version of the
> series (Famicom Mini Vols. 1 and 2).

I think it depends on the flash cart too.

<P ID="signature">Of all the words of thought or pen, the saddest are these: "what might have been".</P>

> EDIT: And, now that I look at the page, I realize we don't
> have the latest DreamGBA up there. I'll fix that sometime
> today. :p

K, it's there.

<P ID="signature">Of all the words of thought or pen, the saddest are these: "what might have been".</P>

> The "Game Pak Error" is a result of a copy protection they
> have implemented to detect sram, when the actual save type
> is EEPROM.

Is this why the GBA copy of Super Mario 3 doesn't emulate? It gives me some 'your save data is corrupted' message. How odd. :)

<P ID="signature">It doesn't matter if you?€™re 7'8" and weigh 100 lbs, or you're 4'9" and weigh 300 lbs, or black, green, or blue. That's Gene's greatest legacy to all of us - inclusion for the world. - Robert Blackman</P>

> Is this why the GBA copy of Super Mario 3 doesn't emulate?
> It gives me some 'your save data is corrupted' message. How
> odd. :)

GBA Super Mario 3 uses Flash 128K. Some copies floating out there, were cracked for Flash 64K, but that unfortunately leads to the undesirable side effect of the game giving memory errors at every startup.

The original automatic detection that looked for the EEPROM / Flash / Sram string in the rom, was actually the best automatic detection for officially published games, since nearly every game that is officially published used the nintendo save libraries for game saves, and includes strings similar to these.

EEPROM_V124
FLASH_V112 (Original Flash 64K string)
FLASH512K_V103 (Guessed version number, Newer Flash 64K string)
FLASH1M_V102 (Newer Flash 128K string)

In general, you looked for patterns similar to those, and you had your correct save type. (that is until nintendo somehow breaks this detection method by not including any of these strings in future versions of their release libraries.)

<P ID="signature">http://sigx.yuriy.net/link.php][img]http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/sgx1/xcaitsith2.png[/img</P>

> > Course, you could just get the NES version, but that's not
>
He meant the actual NES versions, not the GBA versions.

Oh and I got the GBA Super Mario Bros. cart from EBGames the other day, and it plays just like the original; the text is compressed but that's it. I would've liked to see a port of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for GBColor (cuz I can't find my copy, really).

<P ID="signature"></P>

Now, there is another block that has
> yet to be figured out. It is something the the real
> hardware is doing correctly, that the emulator is not doing
> correctly. Right now, until somebody fully researches why,
> none of the famicom/nes classics are playable, even if you
> manually set the correct save type.
>

I noticed that DreamGBA v 1.4 will play the Classic NES games.
It does not get the error message like its later version does. Maybe this will help someone figure out how to get the newer emulators past this problem.

<P ID="signature"></P>

On VisualBoy I got classic zelda NES to work by using EEPROM+Sensor

I don't know if my other setting affect the outcome as well. Tell me if this works for you guys!

On VisualBoy I got classic zelda NES to work by using EEPROM+Sensor

I don't know if my other setting affect the outcome as well. Tell me if this works for you guys!

I tried that, but my buttons went all screwie. I couldn't actually play, even though the games were running. As soon as I turned it back, the buttons worked again.

Back
Top Bottom