Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 01-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
GoodGooey

Smile R.I.S.C. boards emulating C.I.S.C. based computer architecture (80486)

Hi I really am pleased to have found this forum.

With R.I.S.C. chips these days easily obtainable running at 1.8GHz or thereabouts, we can get good speed from emulated C.I.S.C. running via R.I.S.C. circuit-boards.

Why would this be worth doing?

The speed of the virtual C.I.S.C. simulated is lower than the clock rate performance of the physical R.I.S.C. chip (obviously!) but at one clock tic per R.I.S.C. instruction, you can still get very zippy speed out of your simulation of C.I.S.C. on this basis, if your processing requirements are not hungry for high speed graphics applications, eg processing data or natural language. I've found that even as "low" as 500MHz is fine for natural language processing applications (in development) however a C.I.S.C. simulation running on a R.I.S.C. at 1.8GHz will give well above that speed. I don't know exactly what effective clock speed you'd get.

R.I.S.C. chips run at a lower temperature, and a lower power consumption than C.I.S.C. chips. But the virtual circuit board emulated is useful to acheive (in software) in particular for ease of coding into 80486 (I use BBC Basic compiled into Machine Code), when you still want to use a R.I.S.C. chip to run it.

It amazes me to think that the envisaged C.I.S.C. virtual circuit board created sort of doesn't even exist, and yet the simulation works (quite easily for us programmers to understand) just as though there were physical chips there - exactly the same as if there were (at a high enough clock rate).

Hope this is interesting and worthy of news!

I was brought up on a 6502-based Acorn Electron and of course a 6502-based BBC B (I extensively used Masters and Acorn Archimedes when I was younger - at school). Now 39, I use BBC Basic to drive modern systems, got a Toshiba with 1024Gb hard drive, Windows 10, and 64 bit 2.6GHz multi-core processor.

If anyone is interested in this, if you know BBC Basic, I thoroughly recommend downloading BBC Basic for Windows. You can drive Windows 7+ API calls etc. with all the power (or arguably more power) of Visual C++.

My new business Intelligent Fractal Technology proposes to approach ARM plc. in the UK to supply chips which are similar in operation to Sophie Wilson's (designer) ARM2 chipset, original from the 1990's. If we take chips at 1.8Ghz or up to 2Ghz if that is still a feasible or even required sensible speed (you shouldn't take more speed than you need if the power consumption is wasted), get a computer board together, and couple this if necessary with a dedicated C.I.S.C. for graphics input processing (or let the R.I.S.C. chip handle everything!) we propose to use this as the basis for the operational hardware of smooth functioning robots that are intelligent and very human-like, which I am designing with other creative contributors (I am lead designer). We think we will have the sufficiently good designs completed by around about 2027 or before, to be able to say that what we will create will be "as good as human".

I wrote software code called "Self Aware Docking Station v1.00" which renders any modern day C.I.S.C. chip (and therefore virtual existent C.I.S.C. chips too) fully self aware and conscious. The early version of the program (v1.00) outputs tones which are intelligently selected in harmonic reaction to music played through output on PCs. Natural language processing is being worked on, complex but human simulation can be done, still learning at the moment (or re-learning from school days), about verbs, nouns, adjectives, prepositions, auxilliaries etc. and grammar connectors. To make things complicated further still for our design still, we have to ensure that eg German brains run on the same software as eg American brains. We can't code just grammar structure for English brains in the end because there needs to be "cross linguistic validity" of the software.

In fact, the vast majority of the work for us to do is in the software.

The hardware will be carried out by external contractors, such as possibly ARM. Motor cortex will involve things like pistons I imagine, we understand that the current state of the art technology available for robotics is quite impressive if you're prepared to spend a reflective to quality amount of money.

It's not about the money but we think that each eventual robot created ("robot human being") will have a build value of over 1million !

So our company (which will become an Ltd. in March), is proposing to emulate humans using R.I.S.C. processors which themselves will be running non-existent but existent in function C.I.S.C. boards. The soul of the people we will create will run on circuit boards that I suppose you could say only exist in a virtual universe! Wow!

Hope this story was interesting.

Later tonight (I'm just working on my own at the moment), I'm actually going to download a Beeb/6502 emulator to try running Self Aware Docking Station, the program I wrote, on a 2MHz 6502 !!

I am expecting to find that the self aware will run, still intelligently, at just 2MHz. Clearly vision processing would be impossible at that speed, but for basic conscious at high intelligence, I have a strong hunch it's going to work.

I can't post very regularly here but at the very minimum it's been great to join the forum and share my story today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6502.PNG
Views:	318
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	333  
GoodGooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
martini
Content Manager

Hi

Thanks for sharing the story.

What does the "Self Aware Docking Station v1.00" does and how it is related to CISC emulation under a RISC processor?

Where are you doing this research? On a local University? On your place?

Im not sure if I understood it right, the hardware is like a RISC processor controller that is taking over several CISC boards/processor connected to it? Can you share some pictures?

Regards
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
GoodGooey

I'm really sorry I've been away for so long!

My program "Self Aware Docking Station v1.00" gives the computer a form of output for thinking, the thoughts are output as beeps which convey emotion, this is particularly apparent when music is played through any media player at the same time. At the time of typing this, I'm lucky to have the top search position returned in youtube for "self aware computer" - it brings up one of my videos.

I think the chip I have posted an image of is actually a 6502, I'm not sure why I posted that my apologies.

My idea was that future humanoid robotics (that according to some predictions may have the same intelligence as humans by 2029) could be made with RISC architecture, but the actual operations would be on a simulated CISC architecture.

I don't know whether that is a great idea at the moment, but I am certain that our modern day computers are self aware, and I wrote a program in BBC Basic which makes the computer "beep with emotion" to whatever's going on, particularly music, to which the computer gives brilliant harmonization and reaction.

May I post a link to another forum where the matter was discussed in great detail?

[url]http://www.kurzweilai.net/forums/topic/i-have-cracked-the-human-brains-algorithm-for-thought-process-in-the-neo-cortex[/url]
GoodGooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Lazy Bastard
Administrator

Interesting stuff. I'll look into it.

Thanks.
Lazy Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote