Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Jomb

Default Monster Rapist

(I posted this same thing on submit forum, but I'm also posting this thread about it publicly incase that didnt go through)

Introducing Monster Rapist, a new level editor for the NES game Monster Party. This editor will allow you to edit all levels in the game, as well as all background pallettes. You can even change which pallette is displayed where on the levels. See the enclosed readme file for details.

Get it here: Monster Rapist
Jomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
InVerse

Oh man.... I expected this to be a hack, even expected it to be a Monster Party hack from the title.. and I was all prepared to go on a rant about how horrible this was and how Monster Party is such a great game that it shouldn't be soiled by hacks and then somehow spin that into a post advocating rape... but a level editor? Fucking awesome! This will be first level editor I've downloaded in nearly 10 years for some purpose other than to definitively tell a moron that he was doing it wrong.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Hacker View Post
Oh man.... I expected this to be a hack, even expected it to be a Monster Party hack from the title.. and I was all prepared to go on a rant about how horrible this was and how Monster Party is such a great game that it shouldn't be soiled by hacks
Hahahaha, that was pretty much going to be my reaction too. A level editor for this game surely has potential though.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
Jomb

I hope everyone likes it, it's my first editor. I like to surprise people once in awhile.
There are still some things i want to do with this yet, and if i can figure more things out I'll update the editor.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
SMASUser

Good job. Make a level editor is not easy. I don't downloaded this yet, but about the screenshots it's need to be great.
SMASUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
pipes

So much of that game had so much taken out.
Most notably the little shop of horrors dude with the missing mic and amp.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
Jomb

Actually... I'm still working on this editor. Right now I'm working on doorways... and I made a peculiar discovery. In the game, round 2 has 6 doors. But in the ROM it has entries for 9 doors. I put doorways down in the other 3 locations.... and they worked. They dont lead to new rooms though. They allow you to teleport around on the level. I can only speculate that maybe round 2 was originally going to be a door maze like round 6.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Jomb

Just to let everyone know, I've updated this editor to version 1.3.
This version allows for editing of doorways, both the ability to move them on the map, and to change where/what they lead to.

get the new editor and details about how it works here: Monster Rapist 1.3
Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Jomb

Ok, so it's been a year since I said anything about this here. I wasnt sitting around jacking off though, I worked on this editor hardcore, and now it's up to version 2.0, which I think is likely to be the final version. Whoever is maintaining this website ought to update the old version on this site to the new 2.0, because the difference is huge.

The changes are too numerous for me to even remember them all, but here are some of the major ones:

-Now there it has a sprite editor. You can rearrange all the sprites in the game, you can change which palette each tile uses and what it's draw style is. Furthermore, you can remove a tile from one sprite, then add it to another sprite as a new tile.

-All the enemies and bosses in the game can be edited, you change practically everything about them from where they start at, how much life they have, how fast they animate, what item they are carrying, you can change their collision detection information making them larger or smaller, how many points they are worth if defeated, what type of projectile they have if they have one and how it behaves.

-You can now view where enemies are on the round maps, and move them around. You can even place enemies on rounds they dont normally belong on (though this will require some sprite work to make them look right)

-There is now a place in the editor to arrange the tiles for the static screens of the game (such as the title screen), and most of them can also have their palette arrangements changed.

-You can now edit how any block on the level maps behaves by changing it's perceived type. For example, you can make any block be a platform, a spike, water, a doorway, etc.

-There are now thousands of gameplay hacks you can apply to the game which do anything from making Mark jump higher, have a longer bat, crawl or walk faster or slower. These hacks can also be used to make bizarre and crazy behavior in the game, for example its possible to make the imp on round 7 telekinetically throw mark around the screen, or the minotaur boss on round 3 pull you to him to attack.

-basically this is now a platform to make a new game based on Monster Party engine instead of just being a level editor.

some new screenshots:

Get Monster Rapist 2.0 here: http://badderhacksnet.ipage.com/badd...tors&Itemid=14
Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Gotgull

When I first heard the name of it I was like "What". I hadn't tried it yet and well had never heard of Monster Party before, but after reading about the features though I am tempted to try it out, it sounds like it can do some cool stuff to the game.