Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 07-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
shawn

Default adultswim

I was watching adultswim and noticed at the bottom of the screen in tiny print to go to boards.adultswim.com and make suggestions on the programs.

Well I absolutely hate some of the shows and this new reality shows in my opinion don't belong on cartoon network at all so I signed up to let them know this.

BTW the forum is censored so they automatically put bleep in place of any even mildly offensive language like when I used the word retarded to describe Metalopocolyse so watch the language so they'll know what you are actually saying.

Here's a copy of what I posted.

This is what I like, dislike, and think might make Adultswim better by adding or removing.

Inuyasha

Bleech

Robot Chicken

Death Note

Moral Oral

Venture Brothers

Code Geass

Big O

Boondocks

Oblongs

Cowboy Beebop

Dislikes

King of the Hill "just doesn't belong, I never really understood why this cartoon was even made"

Metalocalypse "metals ok but this show is just plain retarded, I'd use another word but it's the only one that fits"

Squidbillies "Terrible animation and badly written, just dumb"

Family Guy "I used to love this show but it's on every network constantly and has been massively overplayed lately"

PJ's "I just don't get it, maybe it belongs in an earlier timeframe for kids"

Clonewars "I'm just not a starwars fan and seems to belong in an earlier timeframe like 9pm"

Aquateen Hungerforce "dumb dumb dumb"

Home Movies "Terrible animation, terrible storyline, can't figure out why it even made it on TV ever"

The Mighty Boosh "foolish and I don't need gay guys doing really bad comedy and bad acting in the middle of a bunch of good cartoons since it destroys the mood, It doesn't belong on Cartoon Network"

I don't remember the name of the show but it's the show about Jesus and religion. I'm an athiest myself so I'm not insulted but the show is not a cartoon and is more like a really bad and stupid soap opera. I can't change the channel fast enough when these bad actors/actresses come on the TV screen.

Now here is what would be nice to see on adultswim

Dragonball "any of the series, it's addictive"

Yu Yu Hakishu "nice story and easy to follow"

More Inuyasha "I used to get up 2 hour early at 5 am to watch the 2 episodes you had on every weekday morning and couldn't believe you removed this show"

Kenshin "not great but a good show"

Trigun "Trigun is off the wall and action combined and I will watch it any time it's on"

FLCL "Weird and confusing but for some reason I couldn't stop watching it whenever it was on"

Hacksign "ok show and enjoyable to watch"

Outlaw Star "I've seen the entire DVD collection and still like seeing this show whenever it's on"

Duckman "Hey it's Duckman, what's more to say"

Vampire Hunter D "Just a different show with great action at times, breaks up the usual shows without making you want to change the channel"

Naruto "Lots of action, good story with good characters"

A final note. The new reality and non cartoon shows on cartoon network do not belong and I change the channel whenever they are on. This is a network for cartoons and that's why I watch it, I love cartoons and can't stand reality TV. You know what you get when you put non cartoons with cartoons, Nickalodien and I don't watch Nickalodien. Most of my friends at work won't watch network TV because of all the reality shows. Reality shows made me stop watching MTV because Music TV without music is not MTV. Cartoon Network should stick with cartoons or you may loose your audience to Disney or one of the other networks that may have a cartoon on when you have reality on instead of what made this network what it is.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Isildur

There seems to be a push to ruin every niche cable channel, out of a desire to appeal to a wider audience. Remember when MTV was actually music television? (Yeah, it's been a while.) And, now you've got "SyFy" (renamed from SciFi because they essentially don't want to be a science fiction channel anymore) getting wrestling and ghost hunting, CN getting reality show crap, etc.

The execs keep seeing the so-called wider audience as some giant pot of gold there for the taking with no negative repurcussions, when in fact the reason people watch those channels is to see stuff they don't see elsewhere.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
There seems to be a push to ruin every niche cable channel, out of a desire to appeal to a wider audience. Remember when MTV was actually music television? (Yeah, it's been a while.) And, now you've got "SyFy" (renamed from SciFi because they essentially don't want to be a science fiction channel anymore) getting wrestling and ghost hunting, CN getting reality show crap, etc.

The execs keep seeing the so-called wider audience as some giant pot of gold there for the taking with no negative repurcussions, when in fact the reason people watch those channels is to see stuff they don't see elsewhere.

Exactly right. I see some douche with a beard and long hair looking like he belongs in a heavy metal band doing daytime promo's for the new cartoon network lineup at 2 in the afternoon when only very young children are watching and wonder who thought this was a smart idea.

Some of these shows are good but don't belong on cartoon network but on Nickelodean or Disney instead. I think pursuit of the almightly dollar/rating is going to have the opposite effect like it did with the housing market by selling to everyone instead of who they should be selling to and it like the housing market is going to crash hard when the viewers just get sick of the crap.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
GeminiMan

Since CN lost Futurama I almost never watch that channel anymore; all of the completely idiotic shows that are on just aren't worth the effort of operating the remote. Though I watch very little TV at all these days. All of these shitty "I Wanna Be Paris Hilton's Best Friend" reality shows are just awful, and it seems like that's all networks have put out recently. When I do watch TV, I often watch the History/Discovery/Science/National Geographic channels, but even that's becoming a struggle; they have to put all of their production efforts into documentaries that explain basic scientific and archaeological concepts because of "historical" fiction like 10,000BC that takes advantage of people's already skewed historical perceptions and further bastardizes them. They also try to present "new and exciting" theories in these documentaries that 'intrigue' the public and present them as fact (such as Native Americans coming from Europe) when the evidence is weak and largely rejected by scientific communities.

Speaking of, I once applauded the movie Ice Age for its presentation of an historical event and perhaps the first fair and realistic presentation of Neanderthals in cinematic history... Now we've got Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. Yep, that's really gonna help with some 50% of Americans already believing that humans and dinosaurs coexisted within the past 10,000 years...

Sorry, got into a bit of a rant there.
GeminiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiMan View Post
Sorry, got into a bit of a rant there.
One with which I agree 100%.

Ugh, I remember being really irritated at a program about human descent, in which at one point, in order to have what seemed like some dramatic-sounding detective work, the narator explains that they've gotten word that a DIRECT DESCENDANT of Genghis Kahn has been discovered (as if that's an exceptional discovery), and they're on their way to the remote Central Asian village in which the man resides to interview him.

Of course, the whole reason Genghis Kahn's lineage is notable from a genetic standpoint is because his Y-chromosome became widespread. That means ANY male with that Y-chromosome is a direct-male-line-descendant of Genghis Kahn -- but they made a big show of going to some remote village to talk with a particular guy and interview him. Doing that actually obscured why that y-chromosome version is notable in the first place -- because it's common!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
mushroom blue

I gave up on Cartoon Network (and television in general) ages ago.
Channel Frederator pretty much owns everything nowadays.
it still amazes me that people still watch television.
mushroom blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Lillymon

The cartoon channels have gone downhill a lot for me in Britain too. CNX was brilliant, but then became Toonami, went downhill very slowly and very painfully (with increasing amounts of Pokemon), then died with a rebranding and some extremely shitty live-action shows. It's now become CN Too. AnimeCentral was great for a while, but shut down last year. Also, Adult Swim was syndicated as a strand on Bravo a while back, but seems to have vanished. I get all of my animation online these days, which has improved quality a lot.

Also, out of the list above, I generally agree one the ones that I've seen. Though out of the 'good' list, I've only seen the Big O and Cowboy Bebop. The latter is, of course, fantastic. But the Big O is mixed, I'd give the first season an 8/10 and the second a 6/10. It really fell apart in the second season.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
Adremalech The Wroth

I agree with most of your picks.
Though you left out the horrible Tim and Eric shows.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adremalech The Wroth View Post
I personally like them, but then, I like absurd humor. I could see how not everyone would.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adremalech The Wroth View Post
That was the name I couldn't remember that I described as the gay guys doing really bad jokes. I don't even know how that show got on the air.