Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 11-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Brandon519

Default Pallete Editing

Hi guys. Im sorry to make this thread, as I suspect someone with my lack of knowledge about changing anything in a ROM is unwelcome here. Id just like to change colour palletes in SNES and GBA roms. I have been trying to find tutorials and such for a while now, but to no avail. If anyone knows of any, can you please point me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated. Again, Im Sorry if I shouldent be asking this here.
Brandon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
InVerse

For GBA palette hacking, you can try the APE Advanced Palette Editor utility or the PaletteEdGBA. I don't have any experience with either, so I can't tell you anything about them, but it's worth a shot.

There's also this GBA Palette Changing FAQ that might have useful information.

As far as SNES palette hacking goes, the only tutorial I know of is Jay's SNES Palette Format doc which is ancient, so it may or may not be useful.

Application wise, you can try Digisalt's SNES Palette Tools or Yousei's SNES Palette Editor. Again, I've used neither, so I can't offer any specific guidance.

And the primary purpose of this board is for people to learn how to hack, so don't be afraid to ask questions.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
And the primary purpose of this board is for people to learn how to hack, so don't be afraid to ask questions.
This.

Everyone has to start somewhere, so welcome and good luck. :)
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
Brandon519

thanks guys
Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Brandon519

A little confused here. I am following the guide presented above, thinking wow this isint so bad, untill...

Im confused. I dont understand what he means by "search for the full palette values in 8 bytes". I assumed it meant use "find", and look for the values used to colour the sprite im trying to edit in "8 bit signed byte", but it wont let me type in letters, leading me to believe that is incorrect. Im lost. If anyone can share any info at all that would help, It would again be greatly appreciated. Im trying to figure this out on my own, I want to learn, and I know my knowledge of this kind of stuff is laughable, But I have absoloutly NO experience with this kind of thing.

Thanks

Last edited by Brandon519; 12-01-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
InVerse

Without downloading everything and looking into it myself, I can't say for sure but did you try searching using Hex Values in Hex Workshop rather than 8 Bit Signed Byte?

Based on the pics you pasted, my guess would be that he simply means to only search for 8 bytes at a time, rather than typing in all 32 bytes presented in the example.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Brandon519

Got it. Thanks a million you guys.