Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Whoa...what the hell? It was blowing the RAM apart? So were they literally exploding in some fashion?

I believe he meant fried ram. Some of those cheaper board used really cheap parts that sucked when it came to power regulation, where as better board manufacturers used reputable suppliers and not just the cheapest one.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:53 AM   #12
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I believe he meant fried ram. Some of those cheaper board used really cheap parts that sucked when it came to power regulation, where as better board manufacturers used reputable suppliers and not just the cheapest one.
I thought maybe he meant something caused it to crack apart. I suppose frying it is a lot more likely though.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
I thought maybe he meant something caused it to crack apart. I suppose frying it is a lot more likely though.

I've heard stories of RAM chips literally exploding off when the stick wasn't seated properly.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
I've heard stories of RAM chips literally exploding off when the stick wasn't seated properly.
I'd love to see a link if it was on a website. That's something I wouldn't have thought possible. :P

Twitter
Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
shawn

Quote:
I actually had that happen with my Gigabyte board with the ram not being seated. I guess I popped one loose and it was half in and out of the sdram slot. It really didn't do much of anything except me to think my hard drive or cpu was going. The result I experienced was that I got partial to no contact causing if I bumped something or walked to heavily massive data corruption and sometimes the BSOD. Never really did much more than that and it was cheap ram to. Once reseated it worked fine like there was never a problem and I got another 4 years out of that motherboard and ram.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #16
The 9th Sage

This is why I'm usually extra sure as to if my RAM is seated properly whenever I open up this case and monkey around with it.

Twitter
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #17
schmocke

I never said "Hello" to AMD since my first own PC, a Pentium 2 350Mhz. I´m on a Pentium 4 2,8GHz for almost seven years now and never had a problem with it. A few months ago I bought a little ION-based Mini PC with an Atom 330 CPU just for surfing, music etc.
But, seven years for "the big one" is enough - I´m planning to buy a Core i7 system, ´cause now the new NVIDIA cards are available and I want to play Metro 2033 finally. So, AMD - I never met you but I hope you´ll be fine..
schmocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #18
Lillymon

I've had fairly mixed experiences with CPUs given three Intel CPUs (486DX2/66, Pentium III 450Mhz, Core 2 Duo E6750) and two AMD CPUs (Athlon XP 2100+, Sempron 2600+).

The 486 was... unremarkable.

The Pentium III was odd in that it was one of those slot CPUs that Intel tried to use to screw over AMD, but otherwise also unremarkable.

The Athlon XP ran really fucking hot, and in fact the whole PC was practically a pressure cooker. A power supply, video card, and finally the CPU itself being killed through heat. It was pretty quick though, when it wasn't crashing.

The Sempron is actually slower in clock speed than the Athlon XP was (1.6Ghz as opposed to 1.73Ghz), but is probably a bit faster overall. Direct comparisons are difficult due to it being on a different motherboard with a different video card. Seems to run pretty cool at least.

The Core 2 Duo is awesome. Cool running (never much above 50C, even on hot days under heavy load) and really quick. Best CPU I've ever used.

Just to note, graphics capabilities. The 486 had a Cirrus Logic piece of shit graphics chip, the Pentium III first had a Riva TNT followed by a GeForce2 MX, the Athlon XP had an ATI Radeon 8500LE which was destroyed by heat and replaced with a GeForce4 MX, the Sempron has an integrated GeForce 6100 that shares system memory, and the Core 2 Duo has a GeForce 8800GT with 512MB of video RAM. My experiences are that Nvidia have better drivers than ATI, though the closed source nature of their drivers is starting to piss me off.

I also note the curve of clock speed increases:

1996: 66Mhz
1999: 450Mhz
2002: 1733Mhz
2007: 1600Mhz
2008: 2667Mhz

Didn't Intel say we'd all be running seventh generation Pentium 4s running at 10Ghz by now?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
Didn't Intel say we'd all be running seventh generation Pentium 4s running at 10Ghz by now?
Funny thing is, my quad core Core 2 @ 3GHz would spank the shit out of a P4 @10GHz, haha.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
VT-Vincent

Quote:
I haven't seen this happen to RAM per se, but I have seen it happen to a 56k modem. When I worked for Circuit City we were running diagnostic tests on a customer's computer and I heard a ping noise, like a tiny pebble hitting metal. I opened the case to see what happened, and sure enough the center of a chip on the modem exploded sending fragments into the bottom of the case.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote