Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Website Talk > Site Questions / Suggestions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Mario-Fan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Exclamation Concerning the legality

Hello!

Iīm from Germany, and must say to the author(s) of the web page, that your site is very interesting and informative.

German web pages about Nintendo, Mario and so on donīt get approxemately to this level.

Nevertheless I have the following question:

Do you (the author) had once already problems, because youīre offering Roms and Music from the games? I hadnīt once already downloaded a Rom, but Iīm interested in this. I think, this has to become legal, because Nintendo doesnīt suffer a loss, when somebody downloads games, that canīt be bought anymore . Hence I would like even to ask, if somebody of the downloaders from Roms has gotten a punishment, because he has downloaded copyright reserved content. 1 € per game is then the punishment?

In this way the question is also adressed to the user: Do you one already hs gotten an accusation because of downloading here [url]http://roms.zophar.net/[/url] roms or music of the games?

Thank you very much for answering beforehand!

Yours sincerely,
Mario-Fan

PS: Donīt misperceive me: I donīt condemn rom sites and their downloaders, I only asked myself, if there once already were accusations concerning downloading or offering Roms and their music.

Last edited by Lillymon; 11-09-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Mario-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Lillymon
Senior Member
 
Lillymon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: England
Posts: 2,379
Default

This is almost incomprehensible (though almost certainly better English than my German), but I'll take a stab at answering it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-Fan View Post
Do you (the author) had once already problems, because youīre offering Roms and Music from the games?
No, I don't think there's been any legal trouble over the ROM site. It seems the game manufacturers are less interested in these small-scale ROM sites now they've got torrent sites with PlayStation 2 games and beyond to think about. Some people still get very tetchy about piracy in general (the Gaia Online Software Police) or some ROMs in particular (Pleasuredome), but the continued existence of various ROM sites blatantly flaunting the rules seems to show that the feared beast is actually a paper tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-Fan View Post
I hadnīt once already downloaded a Rom, but Iīm interested in this. I think, this has to become legal, because Nintendo doesnīt suffer a loss, when somebody downloads games, that canīt be bought anymore.
It never become legal, it's just that Nintendo has stopped caring. They're making more than enough from casual gamers with Wiis and DSes, the Virtual Console has running costs so tiny that they're likely making a profit even with most people getting older games online. Maybe Nintendo finally realized that going after ROM sites costs more than they were ever going to make in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-Fan View Post
Hence I would like even to ask, if somebody of the downloaders from Roms has gotten a punishment, because he has downloaded copyright reserved content. 1 € per game is then the punishment?
I've actually never heard of anyone getting sued in the same way the RIAA has infamously done, though the RIAA would be asking for a hell of a lot more than 1€ per game if they started going after us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-Fan View Post
In this way the question is also adressed to the user: Do you one already hs gotten an accusation because of downloading here http://roms.zophar.net/ roms or music of the games?
No, and I uncensored the site. It's a fucking sub-domain, I'd say if it's against the rules then it shouldn't be hosted on and branded as Zophar's Domain.
__________________
Amelia Explains It All - Eventually. Probably.
Lillymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Mario-Fan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Default

@Lillymon: Thank you very much for your detailed answer!
I know, due to my incomprehensible English is was for you aggrevated, to answer.

Furthermore much success and pleasure with your web page!
Mario-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
The 9th Sage
Senior Member
 
The 9th Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NY State in the US
Posts: 17,439
Default

To answer another question I think you asked, the music has never been a problem so far as I know. I don't think I've ever heard of a site getting in trouble for hosting SPC files, NSF files, and things like that.
__________________
Just can't wait to bomb some Dodongos.
---
http://www.xanga.com/zeldadd

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
Ugly Joe
Senior Member
 
Ugly Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
To answer another question I think you asked, the music has never been a problem so far as I know. I don't think I've ever heard of a site getting in trouble for hosting SPC files, NSF files, and things like that.
Except for the one April Fool's Day prank where the ZD front page was replaced with one of those FBI takedown pages citing the hosting of copyrighted music/data or something like that
__________________
Ugly Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
The 9th Sage
Senior Member
 
The 9th Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NY State in the US
Posts: 17,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Joe View Post
Except for the one April Fool's Day prank where the ZD front page was replaced with one of those FBI takedown pages citing the hosting of copyrighted music/data or something like that
Haha, I must not have been there that day.
__________________
Just can't wait to bomb some Dodongos.
---
http://www.xanga.com/zeldadd

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Contact Us - Zophar's Domain - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.