Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Website Talk > Site Questions / Suggestions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
king killa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,135
Default Seeya!

I think you see my point.
<P ID="signature">http://hwody.comKilla's Blog</a></P>
king killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
pipes
Senior Member
 
pipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,883
Default Re: Seeya!

> I think you see my point.

as long as the board is still able to post and somewhat work I'm down with this. Till then I suggest a backup plan to relocate when this place blows up.
#zophar would be a good place for current and active members to get info of where to go. Then next a simple server to host these boards. Probably best to continue to use this same version of wwwthreads on said new server. There are people with backups.

EDIT: shame there isn't a lunar 3 to name it off that...

<P ID="signature">The pipes clangor all the time!</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by pipes clangor on 03/20/08 11:33 PM.</FONT></P>
__________________
The pipes never clangor.
pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Lillymon
Senior Member
 
Lillymon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: England
Posts: 2,379
Default Re: Seeya!

> as long as the board is still able to post and somewhat work
> I'm down with this. Till then I suggest a backup plan to
> relocate when this place blows up.
> #zophar would be a good place for current and active members
> to get info of where to go.

Sounds good to me. After fighting with my e-mail server over the authentication e-mail, I'm on #zophar now as 'Rhapsody' (after many years, I've settled on a nickname). Irssi also seems happy with my settings, so I should be there fairly often now.

> Then next a simple server to host these boards. Probably
> best to continue to use this same version of wwwthreads
> on said new server. There are people with backups.

Not sure about that myself. How easy is a wwwthreads board to maintain, and how hard would it be to make a new board look and feel like this one? I don't care much about the software behind the scenes myself, the community is more what it's about.
<P ID="signature"><marquee direction="left" scrollamount="8"></marquee>
!luos ruoy tae lliw stelek ehT</P>
__________________
Amelia Explains It All - Eventually. Probably.
Lillymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
king killa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,135
Default Re: Seeya!

> Not sure about that myself. How easy is a wwwthreads board
> to maintain, and how hard would it be to make a new board
> look and feel like this one? I don't care much about the
> software behind the scenes myself, the community is more
> what it's about.
>

taking care of wwwthreads is like taking care of an old man who can't wipe his own ass. There is _much_ newer and much more maintainable software available. A simple php script could transfer the database to the new software standards as well.

<P ID="signature">http://hwody.comKilla's Blog</a></P>
king killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
pipes
Senior Member
 
pipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,883
Default Re: Seeya!

keeping this version would make it an easy transition from one domain to a different one. Otherwise it will look different. The nostalgia of the board has to come or there will be a few that will say fuck this shit I'm gone and it will be like the polar ice caps with global warming as everyone slowly drops off. Fresh users will also be needed.
<P ID="signature">The pipes clangor all the time!</P>
__________________
The pipes never clangor.
pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Lillymon
Senior Member
 
Lillymon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: England
Posts: 2,379
Default Re: Seeya!

> keeping this version would make it an easy transition from
> one domain to a different one. Otherwise it will look
> different. The nostalgia of the board has to come or there
> will be a few that will say fuck this shit I'm gone and it
> will be like the polar ice caps with global warming as
> everyone slowly drops off. Fresh users will also be needed.

Actually, I think you've got that backwards. Old users will always be leaving, for one reason or another. What any forum needs to survive in the long run is a decent influx of new users. I've seen other forums die before, and I don't want to see ZMD end up the same way. I think the best way to ensure survival is to migrate some of ZMD's best features to a new board software that is easier to maintain. Most sensible old users (and I think most of us are sensible enough) will see that the community is more important than the software and stick together.
<P ID="signature"><marquee direction="left" scrollamount="8"></marquee>
!luos ruoy tae lliw stelek ehT</P>
__________________
Amelia Explains It All - Eventually. Probably.
Lillymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
shawn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 9,941
Default Re: Seeya!

I've been hanging over at EP lately since it's really slow here most of the time. They just got the boards up again if anyone needs the address this is it.

http://www.elazulspad.com/phpbb/index.php
<P ID="signature">Get off your ass and do it because it isn't going to happen on it's own no matter how much you wish it would.</P>
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
WhoaMan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,499
Default Re: Seeya!

> I've been hanging over at EP lately since it's really slow
> here most of the time. They just got the boards up again if
> anyone needs the address this is it.
>
> http://www.elazulspad.com/phpbb/index.php
>

i am still working on getting shit all good like.... but its up
<P ID="signature"></P>
WhoaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:57 AM   #9
shawn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 9,941
Default Re: Seeya!

> i am still working on getting shit all good like.... but its
> up
>

I really like the new board you guys chose to use Eric. Really nice and simple to use. <img src=smilies/thumb.gif>
<P ID="signature">Get off your ass and do it because it isn't going to happen on it's own no matter how much you wish it would.</P>
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #10
Porchmonkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 462
Default Re: Seeya!

> #zophar would be a good place for current and active members
> to get info of where to go.

What is the server address?
<P ID="signature">
</P>
Porchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Contact Us - Zophar's Domain - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.