Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 11-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Daiz

Default Reuben: A SMB3 editor.

Daiz is back... back again...

With the failure of completing Mario Adventure 2 and the desire to actually complete one last hack, I decided I would start Mario Adventure 3, but I wanted this hack to be BIG, REALLY BIG. I no longer wanted to be restrained by SMB3's object engine nor did I want to have to deal with managing my own level pointers when creating all levels from scratch... thus, Reuben was born:

Reuben, in a nutshell, is a different way to rom hack. All the data is edited and saved outside of the actual ROM. However, in order to test it, you must compile all the data into a host rom that you provide. This means if your rom becomes corrupt, you can easily restore most of the data. This also means someone else cannot easily take your hack and use Reuben to edit it.

But the bigger idea is that this is not for people who want to do simple edits. You are given no levels to start with, no maps, just graphics and block definitions (TSA). You must create everything else from scratch. The 1.0 release of Reuben will come with a patch that expands SMB3 to use 1MB of PRG-ROM space and expand the graphics and make the ROM use MMC5 mapper. This will allow for an average of 200+ levels.

So what's the big deal about Reuben? It lets you create levels via direct tile map using various drawing tools for usability. Tile properties can be displayed so you can see their interaction without proper graphics. The data is saved in an RLE style compression format and the levels are no restricted by their default size. If you modify a level, the levels will be save side by side with no gaps and they will shift as needed.

There's a lot of things to talk about in Reuben, but rather than type it all out, I'll just let you guys play with a beta build:

11/11/09 Release

The project is also open source as of right now, but I'm not accepting official changes until I'm satisfied with the final build:

http://code.google.com/p/reuben-smb3/

Here's a quick change log:

As of 11/11/09:

-There are 2 modes for the right mouse click.

Selector Mode
Tile Placement Mode

Selector Mode:
Right clicking and drawing draws a rectangle in a region on the level. The area selected can be cut, copied and pasted or deleted from the level itself. When you paste, if selection area is a single block, it will paste the exact shape you copied. If the selection paste area is not the same, the editor will do a sort of "pattern". For example, if your copy region is [1][2][3] and your paste region is 5 squares long, it would look like this: [1][2][3][1][2]. If any of your copied region contained an erase tile, when that's pasted, it's treated as a "transparent" tile and will not paste over the existing data.

Tile Placement Mode:
The right click can have it's own tile to draw using all the same tools as the left click. You will see 2 blocks below the block selector, a left and right one. Guess what they indicate?! lol

To change modes, double click the mode display or hit Ctrl + D

-At any rate, the middle mouse button is now the eraser click.

I also changed it so if you want to edit a specific block, double clicking it in the block selector will bring it up in the Map 16 editor, rather than having to do it in the level viewer.

-I've also touched a lot of things. Such as when you bring up various editors (palette editor, graphics editor, etc) it will automatically set the graphics, definitions and palettes to what your current level is using. Convenient eh? I've also finally added the ability to reload a level, removing previous changes and to reload the graphics, so if you're using another editor to change graphics, you can see what it looks like in your editor without having to reload the entire project. *pant pant*

-Fixed an issue where the scroll type was not saving
-Added a cut/copy/paste
-New Key Bindings
Control + G: Toggle Grid
Control + W: Toggle Special Tile View
Control + E: Toggle Special Sprite View
Control + R: Toggle Start Position Display
Control + D: Toggle Right click mode
Control + S: Save current level
Control + F: Place Mario's starting position

-All sprites that are displayable are now able to be rendered. If you're using an old project, after loading the project, go to File->Reload->Default Sprites before opening any levels. This will update your sprites file.

-Guide panels! You now have 2 horizontal and vertical guides located on the left and right extremities of the level area. Double click on a guide (red or blue) to toggle its display. You can click and drag the mouse to move the guide. You can also set guide presets on either guide by right clicking the panel area and choosing a preset snap option.

-Modified Map 16 editor a bit. If you want to edit a block's TSA without having to find it, double click it in the Block Selector on the left. (shift + double click from the previous version no longer works)

-In the TSA/Map 16 editor I've added two features that makes setting your definitions easier. If you click on a definition and hit Control + C then you will copy it's definition. You can then paste the definition with Control + V to another block. You can also globally apply a tile definition by clicking the Apply Definition Globally button (useful for common blocks such as coins and ? blocks).

As of 11/06/09:
-Fixed some sprite drawing bugs
-Added a lot more sprite support
-Added some keyboard short cuts for the draw mode:
A = pencil
S = line
D = Rectangle
F = Outline
G = Fill

These are basically the home row keys for your left hand.
-Added keyboard short cuts for edit mode:
Z = Tiles
X = Sprites
C = Pointers

-Added an enlarged icon view above the tile selector for easier distinguishing
-fixed the layout manager menu, it will show up now
-modified the grid to be viewable in dark and light colors
-heavily modified the gui positions
-fixed the graphics importer menu, it will show up now
-fixed level to png exporter
-When editing a level, project view and level info panels will minimize by default
-Added new guide lines.
To make a guide show/hide, double click it (left and bottom bars, red/blue lines)
If you right click a guide bar, you can set different guide snaps for references
-Nothing saves automatically anymore. Save buttons have been added to all editors and to the level editor. If you close without saving, you lose your data
-Compressed level function has been fixed. Was broken on data over 1KB

As of 10/31/09 in the morning:
-Fixed an issue where moving a project from the original folders wouldn't allow anything to be loaded. Changed it to use relative directories rather than absolute paths. My bad! (this should fix your issue KP9000)

As of 10/31/09:
-Added coin information.
-Added the ability to either let the editor decide where to save a level or let you decide.
-Fixed sprite deletion
-Added 2x zoom support
-Added a diagonal line tool (great for slopes)
-Added an image export for levels
-Changed the set start position a bit to make it clear what to do next
-Added a help status bar below the level status bar
-Shift + Click on a tile in-level will bring that tile into selection
-Shift + DoubleClick will bring up the Map16 editor for the tile

As of 10/28/09:
-Added pointer support and unused bytes editing
-Sped up drawing code. Added a lot of aesthetic features including the ability to delete levels and import levels from other projects
-Vertical levels supported
-Start anywhere on the map supported
-Modified UI layout
-Can remove levels and change what world they're categorized in
-Select active windows in the MDI area

Last edited by Daiz; 11-18-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Reaper man

o.o Oh wow.

This sounds really impressive. Is there any part of the SMB3 engine you HAVEN'T raped yet?!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Daiz

I haven't done a whole lot with the credits lol. But this editor will likely have a credits editor later on.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

This is amazing. Very impressive work!!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
The 9th Sage

O_o Indeed, this is impressive.

Your download doesn't work. Very impressive though. If you like I can post it in the news section, though I can wait if you want to wait until it's out of beta.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Daiz

Link fixed, sorry about that.

As far as the news goes, hold off for a bit. I plan on having a 1.0 release on Thanksgiving, so we'll see if I can hold to that
Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
As far as the news goes, hold off for a bit. I plan on having a 1.0 release on Thanksgiving, so we'll see if I can hold to that
Cool, can't wait to check this out in full!! Is that this week or next week?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Daiz

That's November 26th (next week)
Old 11-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
Daiz

Just a quick update:
The editor is about ready to enter an RC stage. It's going under private beta testing. I still need to implement a few things in the rom and polish the editor a bit, but it's definitely going to be out before the end of the year. Remember to look forward to:

-More than 9 worlds
-Point to more than 1 bonus area
-Pipes that can exit to a different part of the game
-Vertical levels that WORK on ANY object type
-Level object types can be changed (with a bit of gfx part on the user's part, of course)
-No object set shares TSA data anymore
-Worlds can span as many screens as you like
-Start anywhere on a world
-Start anywhere on a level
-other features not mentioned!

I hope this changes the way people build editors and rom hacking in general 8)
Old 11-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
The 9th Sage

Sounds awesome. I don't think many add those kinds of enhancements.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote