Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 04-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
Had no choices since my processor is only 32 bits. It doesn't really matters since I have 4 Gig of ram and some programs still won't work on a 64 bits system. Sure, 64 bits systems are more "secure" than 32 bits systems, but not a lot more.
What apps wouldn't work? Only problems I've had are a few 16-Bit apps not running, and then it was easier to use an emulator like DOSbox anyway.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
Cornellius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
What apps wouldn't work? Only problems I've had are a few 16-Bit apps not running, and then it was easier to use an emulator like DOSbox anyway.
I mean, even today, 64 bits applications aren't that widespread yet. The main advantage of 64 bits systems are for added performance for applications specially made for 64 bits processors. There's not a lot of vendors who offer 64 bit version of their systems yet. Otherwise, there is no real differences between 32 and 64 bits systems.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
I mean, even today, 64 bits applications aren't that widespread yet. The main advantage of 64 bits systems are for added performance for applications specially made for 64 bits processors. There's not a lot of vendors who offer 64 bit version of their systems yet. Otherwise, there is no real differences between 32 and 64 bits systems.
That's going to change though. If I'm building a system with the intent of using it for the next five years or so, I'm going to be thinking ahead. Also, I thought WoW32 was pretty good at running 32-bit apps on 64-bit versions of Windows, since x64 processors running in compatibility mode effective are x86 processors. That's really their biggest strength, bulletproof backward compatibility.

On another note, I would have to note this as an advantage of Linux and FOSS. As far as I can see, the only apps on my system right now that are x86 are a few I run through Wine. Every single native application, without exception, is x64. The only semi-holdout is Firefox and other Mozilla apps, where I believe TraceMonkey still lacks an x64 backend (it's enabled in trunk, but not any release version, despite being quite stable), so I'm stuck with the regular SpiderMonkey interpreter. That really sucks, Mozilla need to get a fucking move on with TraceMonkey-x64.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #14
The 9th Sage

It is true that I don't have tons and tons of 64-Bit apps, but the ones that I do have benefit. I'd say the biggest benefit for me would be the increased amount of RAM I can have with no problem.

Hmm...in Firefox, wouldn't extensions and such need to support x64 as well? Maybe I'm wrong.

Twitter
Old 04-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
VT-Vincent

The only real compatibility issues that exist are with drivers - you can't run 32bit drivers on a 64bit version of Windows and unsigned kernel mode drivers won't run on a 64bit version either. Luckily, most hardware has a 64bit driver available at this point and Windows has an extremely large database of drivers for older hardware. Also, as it was pointed out earlier, the 16bit compatibility layer was dropped completely and any applications that are using 16 bit code or have components that do will not work.

Personally though, I've been on a 64bit version of Windows since the initial release of Windows Vista and I've seen very few compatibility problems.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Ugly Joe

Here's a fun fact about Win7 64-bit: it comes with a 32-bit WMP and a 64-bit WMP, but only a 64-bit WMC.

If you run WMP or it opens up through some file association, you're getting the 32-bit WMP. Odd that they would insist on using the 32-bit version, yes? The reason for this is that various plugins (visualizations, etc) are specifically made for the 32-bit WMP. They will not work with the 64-bit version.

Now, WMC is essentially a fancy frontend for WMP. Since Win7 64-bit only has the 64-bit version of WMC, that means it's going to be using the 64-bit version of WMP underneath. So, any cool plugins that you installed and configured and tested in WMP first will not exist within WMC, because it's running the "other, better" version of WMP underneath.

The moral of the story is that the only visualization plugins that work with WMC in Win7 64-bit are the default ones that ship with WMP and haven't been updated since around 2001
Old 04-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
VT-Vincent

Heh, my Media Center is still hobbling by on Windows XP MCE 2005. I thought about moving it over to 7, but I use a lot of older emulators and plugins it probably wouldn't like. This is just another reason to keep it where it is.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Hmm...in Firefox, wouldn't extensions and such need to support x64 as well? Maybe I'm wrong.
I think most of them are coded in JavaScript, and so can run on any platform that Firefox can. Of course this does make the JavaScript speed problem even worse, since not only is page JavaScript slow, but I've two dozen extensions and most of the GUI suffering from the same problem (Edit: Wait, am I getting confused with XML there? Either way, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of JavaScript going on). The difference between this and Google Chrome (where V8 does have an x64 backend) is night and day.

Also, my current user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100402 Iceweasel/3.6.3 (like Firefox/3.6.3)

So not strictly Firefox, but "like Firefox". Or as I put it "like Firefox, but without APNG because the libpng developers are bunch of egotistical bastards and the Debian developers are a bunch of complete fucking idiots for still considering their opinions to have any relevance whatsoever" (there are a lot of developers I've found myself hating in the last year or so).

Last edited by Lillymon; 04-10-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Lillymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #19
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I think most of them are coded in JavaScript, and so can run on any platform that Firefox can.
Oh, do'h. You're right I think. I guess I wasn't thinking too much there. Plug-ins are certainly a different story though, like Flash and Shockwave. I don't know if Adobe has x64 builds (haven't checked, actually).

Twitter
Old 04-12-2010, 03:10 AM   #20
pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
(Edit: Wait, am I getting confused with XML there? Either way, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of JavaScript going on).
Its the javascript xml is just a data format