Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #11
Isildur

Speaking of filters, I just noticed that hiend3d.com (the home site of hq2/3/4x, among some other stuff by the same author) is gone. It hadn't been substantially updated since the end of 2003, though, according to archive.org.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

I would add Turbo Engine to the TurboGrafx 16 section, as it is free and recently got CD support.

Magic Engine IS the one that requires you to pay, right?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
ToastyCheesy

NullDC as the best dreamcast emulator? I disagree. Though I'm not at all certain which Dreamcast emulator I feel is the best, I know for certain NullDC wasn't the greatest I used.

IIRC, Demul is progressing nicely, and it worked flawlessly (programming wise) on my compnuter where as NullDC crashed and moaned alot.

Also, 1964 for N64. Didn't an update just come out recently? It 1-ups Project64 by the inclusion of online play, but that shall change once Project64 1.7 is officially released.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
Baryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I gave up on trying to 'improve' the look of games long ago. They were made to operate at one resolution, and trying to go higher inevitable introduces undesirable visual artefacts. I just try for plain accuracy these days. If I wanted a better looking game, I'd play a modern game.
True, but the visual oddness of improving some games is arguably still better looking than the original. Don't forget, you can run games with their original look on ePSXe. Unless you can further vouch for pSX, I may consider pSX out of the running. Configuring plug-ins isn't really that much of a hassle, slightly more complicated than any other PC gaming experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
I would add Turbo Engine to the TurboGrafx 16 section, as it is free and recently got CD support.

Magic Engine IS the one that requires you to pay, right?
While Magic Engine is shareware, it isn't expensive, and it seems to blow everything else out of the water. Best is best, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyCheesy View Post
NullDC as the best dreamcast emulator? I disagree. Though I'm not at all certain which Dreamcast emulator I feel is the best, I know for certain NullDC wasn't the greatest I used.

IIRC, Demul is progressing nicely, and it worked flawlessly (programming wise) on my compnuter where as NullDC crashed and moaned alot.

Also, 1964 for N64. Didn't an update just come out recently? It 1-ups Project64 by the inclusion of online play, but that shall change once Project64 1.7 is officially released.
I haven't tried Demul, but nullDC works fine on a gaming PC. I will list both for now until people speak up in favor of either.

I'll add 1964 until PJ64 is updated. 1964 may have netplay, but the default video rendering is inferior.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
InVerse

I vote in favor of pSX. Plenty of people (including myself) are interested in getting things up and running as quickly as possible and don't want to have to bother with configuring anything. After using pSX, I ended up deleting ePSXe altogether.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
The 9th Sage

I vote in favor ePSXe too. I actually like configuring and tweaking the settings, strangely.

Twitter
Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #17
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
True, but the visual oddness of improving some games is arguably still better looking than the original.
I actually prefer the original look the more I look at it.

Quote:
Don't forget, you can run games with their original look on ePSXe.
True, but it's easier on pSX.

Quote:
Unless you can further vouch for pSX, I may consider pSX out of the running.
We're clearly looking for different things here. I want the greatest accuracy with the least effort, you want better graphics at the expense of accuracy. Without agreeing on what makes an emulator good, we could never come to a consensus.

Quote:
Configuring plug-ins isn't really that much of a hassle, slightly more complicated than any other PC gaming experience.
Disageee. I dumped ePSXe because I was tired of having to micro-manage my plugins to get the best out of each game. I've always loved console games because of the fact that there is one hardware specification and no need to ever configure the games or worry about system requirements, just stick the disc in and play the game. ePSXe brings the flaws of PC gaming to console gaming, and that shouldn't happen.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 AM   #18
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Quote:
While Magic Engine is shareware, it isn't expensive, and it seems to blow everything else out of the water. Best is best, right?
Yeah, but alot of people just looking for an emulator to play a few games from their pasts might not want to or may not be able to make an online payment for an emulator that is the best, when they can have one that is nearly as good for free. It's also being worked on at this moment for fuller CD support, unless I am mistaken.

Just saying, it would be a good second choice for your list.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
Cornellius

Quote:
Best is best, right?
I don't judge the quality of an emulator on it's graphics. For me, the graphic enhancements does not make an emulator better, it's just like a bonus.

Accuracy is what makes an emulator, a good emulator. The more accurate it is, the best is the emulator. So, for Nintendo is the best emulator, because it aims on accuracy.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
Baryn

I hear the points made in pSX's favor. It stays and the freeware TurboGrafx-16 emulator Turbo Engine has been added.
Closed Thread