Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
WarxePB

Default Editing an ISO

Hello everyone. I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

I'm planning a small project involving Final Fantasy 7. While not necessary, myself and the people I'm doing it with would like to edit the in-game text.

I've done basic text editing in the past, but only for NES and SNES ROMs - never PSX ISOs. Therefore, I have no idea where to start for a project like this. Can I use Thingy32 and tables, should I look for a game-specific editor, or do I have to use a hex editor?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

-Warxe
WarxePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
InVerse X

The first thing you'll want to do is extract all of the files from the ISO. To be honest, I've done very little hacking on CD-based systems, so I don't know the best programs for everything, but you should be able to do some searches on Google to figure that out.

Once you've gotten the files extracted, you'll have to search through them to figure out which ones actually contain the text you're wanting to edit. For this, you'll likely have to use a hex editor, as a quick search doesn't uncover any FFVIII specific utilities.

Also, you'll want to familiarize yourself with some sort of virtual drive software, if you're not already. That will allow you to test your changes without constantly burning CDs or re-assembling ISOs. Daemon Tools used to be preferred option for this, not sure if it still is, though.
InVerse X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Shadow

There is a good tool for general purpose... if you want to edit your games.
SNESEDIT from sinaP.

Links
http://alemanic.retroscans.de/download.php?view.35
http://snesedit.romhack.de/se/download.php

Well. This tools allows you to work with roms as well as iso files.
In my active times I made serveral proposals to the author of the software and tested the different versions.

Maybe it seems a little complicated at first, but if you get familiar with it.
If you need some other version you can find them via google.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
InVerse

SNESEdit is EXTREMELY outdated. There's nothing it does that isn't done better by some other program.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
Shadow

Well, then post them
And if you judged SNESedit by the date of the last updates on these pages... they are out of date. The real page is offline, so there are currently only the older versions available. Perhaps I can ask sinaP for the latest update.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
InVerse

I looked at the version on ROMHacking.Net which is newer than either of the versions you linked. My comment about it being extremely outdated was based on the overall look of the program, the Windows version looked to have an identical GUI to the DOS version.

As for alternatives, I would recommend WindHex by Bongo (which is NOT the same as WinHex). For relative searching, I would recommend Monkey Moore for searching English files or Translhextion for non-English searches. And for table making, which is the other obvious function I saw in my brief viewing of SNESEdit, I would recommend Table Auto-Generator, though I'm biased on that one having coded it myself. (And while it's unrelated to the functions provided by SNESEdit, I might as well go ahead and recommend Tile Molester for graphics editing.)
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote