Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Lilpuddy31

Default Earthbound (NES prototype)

Hi everyone, just have a question that I wanted your opinion on. I am looking into downloading the English prototype of Earthbound for the NES. (Don't worry admins, I'm not asking where I can find the rom.) Now it is my understanding that when the rom was first acquired back in the day, that the emulators of the day couldnt handle it in its good dump format. So a hack was made to make it playable, but the hack activated the anti-piracy in the game. So it was hacked again, problem solved. The good dump was of course titled "Earthbound" and the hacks were named "Earthbound Zero". Ok, so enough of the history lesson and onto my question. My question is, can the emulators of the present day (latest versions of FCEUX or Nestopia) finally handle the good dump of "Earthbound", without running into the anti-piracy messages or needing the "Earthbound Zero" hacks? I really don't want to use the hacks, I want to play the game in its true format...
Lilpuddy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Gotgull

Yes all of them will run the EarthBound first dump even Nesticle will run it, the problem is the first dump was hacked to hopeful run on Nesticle but it failed to work because Nesticle couldn't emulate or avoid the built in protections that the game had. Also good luck cause running the original dump there is no menu window in the game and you can't play the game with out the menu. Earthbound as is did not work properly not even on real hardware so it was hacked and fixed as Earthbound Zero. You could buy EarthBound and it won't work on your Nintendo.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
InVerse

The EarthBound Zero name had nothing to do with the hack, it was simply an easy way to differentiate between the NES and SNES games, since most people failed to pick up on the fact that the NES version was actually called Earth Bound with a space.

For an in depth history of the prototype's history, consult Lost Levels

The original hack was done to make the game work in Nesticle. The game had copy protection built in, though, which was set off by the modification, so the game had to be hacked again to eliminate said protection. There are a lot of games that were hacked to work on Nesticle that don't work on current emulators. Nesticle was the first user accessible NES emulator, but it was far from good from a technological standpoint.

I just tried the original dump (as verified by a No Intro dat) and it seems to work just fine in FCEUX. Not sure what Gotgull is referring to by "without a menu" as all of the menus show up just fine.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Gotgull

Maybe that was just a problem I had with Nesticle, I don't remember has been a long time ago, I played Earth Bound Zero and Alpha with out any problems but not in Nesticle.