Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 09-03-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
JadussD

Default MAME variants?

I was wondering, there's a lot of regularly updated MAME variants...I was wondering which one was the fastest? I'm wondering this because the computer I have in my room is a P-350, and although I know most newer stuff will play waaaay too slow, games that use hardware of a similar caliber to the CPS-1 and below should be borderline-akay, unless I'm wrong. So I'm wndering, what's the fastest MAME variant? I'm running Windows XP, on a box with Pentium II-350MHz, and 128MB of SD-RAM...

<P ID="signature"><HR>
<CENTER>http://members.aol.com/jadussvii/Alc...ngineering.oggThis music wants you dead.</a></center></p>
JadussD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 12:49 AM   #2
MooglyGuy

Default Re: MAME variants?

> So I'm wndering, what's the fastest MAME variant?

Well, you're not going to get newer games like Midway Wolf Unit games or any 3D games to run at a decent speed on that POS, and any fast MAME builds are usually targeted to the Athlon XP, Athlon 64, and Pentium 4. Your best bet would be the standard i686 build of MAME, which is optimized for Pentium Pro-class processors (and so is a few percent faster than the standard build).

Depending on the video card you have (which I'm assuming is either on-board or more than 5 years old), you should try turning hardware stretch off. The games won't be stretched to fit the entire screen, but it'll give you a significant speed increase on crap video cards. Also, you might want to try lowering the sound sample rate from 44100 to 22050 or even 11025, or even turning sound off altogether.

<P ID="signature"></P>
MooglyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #3
SirDaShadow

> wrong. So I'm wndering, what's the fastest MAME variant? I'm
> running Windows XP, on a box with Pentium II-350MHz, and
> 128MB of SD-RAM...
>
MAME is a tough choice for a CPU like that. Your best bet is Final Burn Alpha for CPS1-2, or kawaks or nebula.
"Specialized" emulators use less cpu cycles for doing the same thing MAME does. MAME's philosophy is to emulate as accurately as possible, not the fastest, most optimized way.

<P ID="signature"></P>
SirDaShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
Narvick

fastMAME is to my knowledge, the fastest.

<P ID="signature">!</P>
Narvick is offline   Reply With Quote