Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
swamp2

Default Problem with two controllers in FCEU

Currently using FCEU and two original NES controllers with help of DirectPadPro. Windows identifies the controllers properly as #1 and #2 and both appear to function perfect. However when trying to play two player games one controller (#2) controls both players. The setup for port 1 with controllers 1 and 3 then port 2 with controllers 2 and 4 is a bit confusing. Can you actually have 4 controllers? I tried a most combinations by trial and error but can not get both controllers working properly at the same time. Any help is greatly appreciated.
swamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
InVerse

Are you using FCEU or FCEUX? If it's the former, you need to switch to FCEUX which is much more up-to-date.

There's something definitely fucked up in FCEUX. I set my normal (Xbox 360) controller as Controller One, which is how I normally play. Then I configured the keyboard as Controller Two. Controller One worked fine. When I killed off Mario and tried to play as Luigi, nothing was working. Until I moved the mouse and it was operating as the second controller. FCEUX uses the mouse for the Zapper but I definitely had Gamepad selected, so I'd say that something is fucked up in FCEUX's code somewhere.

Solution: Use Nestopia. Then map the rewind to your controller and piss off your friend when you can rewind your mistakes and he can't.

Also, for the record, there was an adapter for the NES called th Four Score which allowed you to hook up for NES controllers to the console. There was only a little over twenty games that were compatible with it, including NES Play Action Football, Super Off-Road, Super Spike V'Ball, Gauntlet II, Bomberman II and one of the shittiest games to ever grace the NES, A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Last edited by InVerse; 06-25-2010 at 05:44 AM.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
swamp2

I use FCEU not FCEUX as I am on Win98. I thought I was fairly sure FCEUX is not available for Win98. I'm pretty happy with the reliability of the version of FCEU that I use.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
as I am on Win98.
Oh dear fucking christ WHY!?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Oh dear fucking christ WHY!?
Could be worse.

*cough*Mac OS 9*cough*

Alternate punchline:

*cough*Windows Me*cough*
Old 06-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
swamp2

Come on folks, ease up I actually like Win98. I'm also an long term Apple guy (jsut in case that gets me more disdain points...). FWIW I also use XP for my work comptuer. Anyway I did a lot of testing when I build my dedicated MAME cabinet (which I also use for NES emu) and found that Win98 with an old school graphics card and sound card made my MAME games look the most original. Now I built my cab long ago, but IIRC much of the software I wanted to use wasn't available for other OSs.

Back on topic... any FCEU folks also using DirectPadPro and original NES controllers?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
InVerse

The thing is... there aren't any "FCEU folks". You can get an XP machine for about $25 these days so the odds of finding someone who's using such a deprecated set up on a messageboard that has 6 regular posters is extremely slim. The best advice I can offer is to switch to Nesticle.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
swamp2

^ Thanks good advice. I knew the forum was not hugely frequented but it seemed like a decent place to post the question. XP might be a solution for the long term future but for now everything I have (less this controller issue) works great.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
InVerse

I just downloaded the latest version of FCEUX and noticed that they do, in fact, have a Win98/2000 build on their site. Just tested out the second controller and it worked fine.