Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 11-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #21
Kitsune Sniper

Default Re: ROMs on Namco Museum?

> Once you rip them. Unless mame needs files in some name to
> run them, I wouldn't think it matters. Names are more of an
> OS thing. So its good to name them something you know, to
> tell what it is.

Difference being that in a compilation they could probably be in one whole file, whereas MAME uses one separate file per datachip. So one romset can go from 1 file to god knows how many. I think the biggest one I've seen has 20 different files, but I'm sure there's romsets with more files than those.

Another example: SNES/NES roms in MAME. The usual romdumps for use in console emulators are all squished in one file, whereas MAME has them split up in different files per chip.
Kitsune Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:50 AM   #22
The 9th Sage

> Nintendo can't (couldn't, rather) do that, so they simply
> had to say that emulators and such are illegal. I don't know
> of any current anti-piracy features used by Nintendo in the
> DS. Sony keeps updating its firmware, but what does Nintendo
> do?

They block whatever way homebrew is being run (and pirated games..yes, Moogle, I know that's likely what they are worried about) in future manufacturing runs of the DS by way of updated firmware, although they've only done this once so far (not the first firmware change they have done, apparently this is something like version 4 now, but the first to block homebrew and piracy).

I suppose that they COULD overwrite the firmware with new games, but I'm not sure if a stock DS keeps anything vital in the write protected area of the firmware...I'd guess SOMETHING must be there, which means they couldn't get people to flash it without teaching them how to defeat the write protection, and Nintendo wouldn't do that, besides the fact that as simple as it is, a whole lot of people would probably be complaining about it and bricking their DS in the process. That's not really Nintendo's style anyway, they like to make things simple for people it seems like.

It's too bad that homebrew led to eventual piracy, but it was that way with the GBA (less so than with the DS however), that way with the PSP IIRC, and probably will be with any system in the future....the homebrew folk figure it out, the pirates take what they figure out and use it to pirate crap. That's not to say their aren't some legitimate uses of devices that run (for example) DS and GBA games..l have one and it's fantastic because I can put a whole bunch of my DS and GBA games (dumped by myself) on one compact flash card and have a whole game library with me wherever I go.

Hm, it's all a double edged sword I guess.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #23
plokm

> Kind of like Chrono Trigger on the playstation. A working
> rom that has fucked up text. Must be used for something.
>

I read somewhere FF Chonicles and FF Anthology extract the graphics from rom images on the disc, rather than store them seperatly. don't know why the text would be messed up though.
plokm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:19 AM   #24
The 9th Sage

> I read somewhere FF Chonicles and FF Anthology extract the
> graphics from rom images on the disc, rather than store them
> seperatly. don't know why the text would be messed up
> though

I would suspect they used a seperate font that wasn't a part of the ROM...does anyone know if the font used is the same as used in the SNES version?

*edit*
Either that or the script is located on the disk elsewhere...I suppose that'd be quicker when it came time to make the US or European version than recompiling this SNES ROM every time.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by The 9th Sage on 11/16/05 11:21 PM.</FONT></P>

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote