Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 05:31 AM   #11
D--
Senior Member
 
D--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chaoyang, Beijing, China
Posts: 826
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

> What kind of game is this?

Genesis RPG.

One of the extremely few.
__________________
portfolio :: deviantArt :: 微博 :: Twitter
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:36 AM   #12
D--
Senior Member
 
D--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chaoyang, Beijing, China
Posts: 826
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

> Two points.
> You just went up 199% in my respect for you.
> F you Death Adder.
> You do it cause you love it, or don't. Don't try and make
> money off it.
> This is the shit that pisses me off.

Fuck you Square Enix.
You do it cause you love it, or don't. Don't try to make money off it.
This is the shit pisses me off.

The nerve of a company to think it can sell a game that it had to buy license for, hire translators for, hire programmers for and generally spend a lot of money banking on at least meeting costs in sales.

(And if we're going to talk about non-commercial, fan made translations, none of you had a problem with DeJap collecting thousands of dollars in PayPal donations and never releasing anything at all for the next year, or ChrisRPG begging for and receiving thousands of dollars of computer hardware -- most of which is far more advanced than is needed for the kind of hacking RPGOne does ...)
__________________
portfolio :: deviantArt :: 微博 :: Twitter
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #13
Kitsune Sniper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,661
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

> (And if we're going to talk about non-commercial, fan made translations, none of you had a problem with DeJap collecting thousands of dollars in PayPal donations and never releasing anything at all for the next year, or ChrisRPG begging for and receiving thousands of dollars of computer hardware -- most of which is far more advanced than is needed for the kind of hacking RPGOne does ...)

I'm gonna fucking hate myself in the morning.

...

You're just jealous. There's no fucking possible way that anyone could harbor such hatred or disgust for another person just because they get donations. And to be honest, that is the only real reason that you seem to broadcast every time you say that they were wrong for asking for donations.

It's -their fans-. THEY willingly gave them money. No one forced them to. You just can't handle the fact that they got money they needed at the time.

However knowing you you'll just start giving off a longwinded reply and start attacking me for saying this so eh. I said my part.
Kitsune Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:20 AM   #14
Spinner 8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 339
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

> none of you had a problem with DeJap
> collecting thousands of dollars in PayPal donations and
> never releasing anything at all for the next year, or
> ChrisRPG begging for and receiving thousands of dollars of
> computer hardware

The difference is that Dark Force and ChrisRPG did not alienate their fanbase by calling them elite teenagers and software pirates on their own message board :P
Spinner 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:41 AM   #15
D--
Senior Member
 
D--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chaoyang, Beijing, China
Posts: 826
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

> You're just jealous. There's no fucking possible way that
> anyone could harbor such hatred or disgust for another
> person just because they get donations. And to be honest,
> that is the only real reason that you seem to broadcast
> every time you say that they were wrong for asking for
> donations.

You're not the first to suggest that.

I'm not going to comment on what Death Adder said on your board, but I will agree that The Whirlpool was no a good place to go to announce commercial game translations since it's always covered fan translation stuff.

I was just responding to Fla Flash condeming someone for selling what they own and have proper licensing to sell.

Fan translations, to my knowledge with the only exception being Dojin-nyuu's Akuji patch, never are actually licensed by the original creators. Even in Akuji's case since it's a Freeware game I don't think there were sales rights involved.
__________________
portfolio :: deviantArt :: 微博 :: Twitter
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #16
D--
Senior Member
 
D--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chaoyang, Beijing, China
Posts: 826
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

> The difference is that Dark Force and ChrisRPG did not
> alienate their fanbase by calling them elite teenagers and
> software pirates on their own message board :P

I don't think The Whirlpool is exactly Super Fighter Team's fanbase. I honestly don't know why Deather Adder posted there since commercial game news generally belongs at other sites. It's not like The Whirlpool reports on every damn game to commercially come here from Japan, it's a database for unlicensed fan translation works.

As I said to Kitsune in the post below, I replied to Fla Flash because this was in regards to his post, not (wraith)'s original topic.
__________________
portfolio :: deviantArt :: 微博 :: Twitter
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #17
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)
 
Fla Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,141
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

I understand where you're coming from, but using a translation message board and calling the people that support you 'pirates' is kinda low.
If he hadn't done that, I'd have had no problem whatsoever with it.
To be honest, it's a wee bit over the top.I just didn't see the point to that at all.
The whole community (emulation) sure ain't what it used to be.
What's next? Romhackers aquiring licenses for games, hacking them and selling them?
I don't think so.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #18
D--
Senior Member
 
D--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chaoyang, Beijing, China
Posts: 826
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

> I understand where you're coming from, but using a
> translation message board and calling the people that
> support you 'pirates' is kinda low.

Aside from wraith or Spinner8 buying Magna Carta (Sorry, I can't remember who, but good news anyway -- the script is finally translated. I knew handing the project off to someone else was the only way it was going to get done.) and a few legit copies of Windows XP, I'm not sure the statement is all that inaccurate regardless of how harsh it sounds ...

> What's next? Romhackers aquiring licenses for games, hacking
> them and selling them?
> I don't think so.

I'm not really following you here ... Though I think that would actually be a good thing and preferable to the current state of donation begging. Imagine getting a company set up that officially brought over all these games no one had a chance to play before.

If someone pulled off a retail release instead of online ordering like OlderGames.com it would mean far more people having a chance to play and people actually being able to do something their like for a job.

... Or were you referring to level and sprite hacks?
__________________
portfolio :: deviantArt :: 微博 :: Twitter
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #19
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)
 
Fla Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,141
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

Sprite and Level hacks would have no business doing that. (Some level hacks, however are the exception).
I can see to a certain extent, your viewpoint. I wouldn't do that, but I can see where some hacks (Zelda: Outlands, for example) would be worth paying for. But I don't know how anybody'd get the money to pay for the license. I prefer to do my hacking for fun.
Just my 2 cents.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:22 PM   #20
D--
Senior Member
 
D--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chaoyang, Beijing, China
Posts: 826
Default Re: Beggar Prince Translation

Well, again, I was more referring to translation work. If someone is going to commercially purchase the license and distribution rights to a game and translate it with the intent of commercial sale, I think you'd have to be a little batty to say they can't do that since it's supposed to be for fun. If that were true, Working Designs wouldn't even exist.

(And games might survive horrible script mutilations and Wheaties jokes ...)
__________________
portfolio :: deviantArt :: 微博 :: Twitter
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Contact Us - Zophar's Domain - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.