Hard: Frustratingly control breakingly hard 7 15.91%
Moderate: Right mix of challenge and frustration. Just right 27 61.36%
Easy: Boring casual gamers zone 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
Triggs

Default Hardest games youve ever played

On Normal difficulty settings

Nes: Battle Toads - This game is so frickin frustratingly hard. i dont know how many times i've tried to beat that game. i probably could beat it now with emulators and save states and what not.

Ultima Exodus: Never even knew what to do in this game. Fun game, just very hard and with no direction.

Marble Madness: errrrrrg. the damn game only had like 5 levels and i was so close.

Genesis: Eternal Champions - The most ridiculously hard fighting game ever

Snes: Raiden and Gradius *sigh*

GB/GBA/DS: Do they have ANY hard games? Maybe Fire Emblem

PSX: Legend of Legaia. Maybe MGS.

PS2: Devil May Cry. The Red Star - Both are very tough and frustrating.

WII: So far Mega Man 9 - i've been a huge old school megaman fan since forever. beat 1-8 and a couple of the X series'. 9 is the only one to ever feel unfair/cheap to me.

X360: Rainbow Six Vegas, Ghost Recon - I just suck at those teamwork/tactics/stealth shooters. Im more of a run and gun.

Systems i've never owned dont appear on my list excluding atari, intellivision, etc. I hate to use cheat codes and strategy guides/faqs and its extremely rare for me to use one unless something just seems absolutely impossible and i cannot figure it out - normally after dying a million times. i'll generally just tough it out.
Triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Umiliphus

I knew what to do in Ultima Exodus, but just couldn't. Not until emulation allowed me to control the very flow of time itself, anyway. It's too slow for all the gold gathering you have to do before going up ANY levels to be bearable. The wacky translation, despite the original computer version being in English, certainly did not help, with regards to finding out how to do anything.
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
AkaneJones

Bruce Lee on the Apple ][e, when the game isn't corrupt so you have infinite lives. Hell the game's tough enough with unlimited live, although you can't actual beat it cause it freezes.

Ghosts and Goblins Nes, no need to mention that.

That damn infernal final Canary Mary mini-game in Banjo-Tooie, brake your thumb why don't they.
AkaneJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggs View Post
PS2: Devil May Cry.
I didn't think Devil May Cry was that hard. It was my first ever PS2 game and I beat it fairly comfortably on normal. Devil May Cry 3 on the other hand, that is insane.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Umiliphus

I believe it's important to distinguish between real challenge and impossible, unapproachably obtuse rubbish. Most people who complained about Battletoads (I like to think there have been many) singled out level 3, but in actuality every step of everything after that point is bubbling over with cheap death, and rarely in the context of battle. Additionally, the implementation of "continue" was absolutely moronic in two player mode.
But then, to me, up until maybe 1993, almost every western developed console game in which lives were limited was near-impossible, if not totally. Even Plok, which I liked, I had to acknowledge I'd never be good enough for. At least, unlike an earlier draconian Software Creations game, Solstice, it allowed me to think I had a chance for a while. Imagine how astounded I was when Zophar had the nsm contest for Solstice and more than one person entered.

The NES version of Ghosts nuh Goblins had some bits of atrocious programming which unnaturally contributed to its already unreasonable demands, but at least it could be figured out and worked around. What was going on with "The Immortal?" I couldn't decode what that one wanted at all.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Triggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I didn't think Devil May Cry was that hard. It was my first ever PS2 game and I beat it fairly comfortably on normal. Devil May Cry 3 on the other hand, that is insane.
I think i just made things harder than they actually should have been with that one. still, was tough 4 me... but those style games are not my forte. as far as 3 goes i did have it but it and like 5 other ps2 games of mine have mysteriously vanished and i have no idea what happened to them. never even opened it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umiliphus View Post
I believe it's important to distinguish between real challenge and impossible, unapproachably obtuse rubbish. Most people who complained about Battletoads (I like to think there have been many) singled out level 3, but in actuality every step of everything after that point is bubbling over with cheap death, and rarely in the context of battle. Additionally, the implementation of "continue" was absolutely moronic in two player mode.
But then, to me, up until maybe 1993, almost every western developed console game in which lives were limited was near-impossible, if not totally. Even Plok, which I liked, I had to acknowledge I'd never be good enough for. At least, unlike an earlier draconian Software Creations game, Solstice, it allowed me to think I had a chance for a while. Imagine how astounded I was when Zophar had the nsm contest for Solstice and more than one person entered.

The NES version of Ghosts nuh Goblins had some bits of atrocious programming which unnaturally contributed to its already unreasonable demands, but at least it could be figured out and worked around. What was going on with "The Immortal?" I couldn't decode what that one wanted at all.
lol nicely put. yes battletoads was stupid hard. level three was actually pretty easy for me. It was maybe 3 or 4 levels or so after that one where u had to do the same thing in space ships with shifting barricades that always shattered my hopes as well as my toad. i dont really remember but i may have cleared that stage once. personally i dont ever once recall feeling it was cheap tho im sure im in the minority. however - impossible came to mind everytime i ever played that masochistic froggy death trap they deemed a game. but then again they are one n the same i guess. Few nes games could be called fair.
I despise the trend these days to substitute cheap tactics in games for smart AI, and good level design.

Well i forgot about ghost n goblins. i never owned that one but barely remember dying a few times at my uncles. another cheap nes game was Dragon Power. I hated that game but wanted to beat it. yup, im at peace with the fact that ill never ascend to the peak of victory mountain in any of those games.

Oh and as far as Ultima Exodus, i never had instructions or anything. I just remember the king saying go off and kill the darkness or whatever and that was it. i remember i didnt even kno how to heal my people except for wander around forever until they finally regenerated. heaven forbid they get poisoned or catch a cold. I always had a cleric but i dont remember them being too very useful. could never afford to revive anybody. leveling was a pain. my inept constantly missed every attack while the enemies were like elite super ninjas of pixelated hero thwarting doom. yup, those were the good ol' days
Triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
kone191

Cool

I wanna be the guy

It's not any game for emulators but it's a very hard 8-bit platform game.
I managed to made it to final boss and yesterday played it about 3 hours straight and still couldn't make it .
It's also very good game if you want challenge.

See videos and downloadlink in youtube if you want:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=0_b3E_...eature=related
kone191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Umiliphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggs View Post

yes battletoads was stupid hard.
I like the snake level and that's about it. Everything else becomes an endless groundhog day of savestates.

Quote:
Oh and as far as Ultima Exodus, i never had instructions or anything.
I didn't have an instruction book either. My cousin(s) owned the game and somehow I ended up with it (plus Ghosts 'n Goblins). You have to earn or steal, without being caught by guards, as much gold as you can carry, and you need to buy keys first for the good stuff. Then you advance to level 5 all at once (you can't go higher without the Mark of Kings) and wander around near the castle, away from any level 5 monsters, until you see a pirate ship to board, and then go into a whirlpool before having any more encounters since it's unlikely you'll survive many. And THEN you need to find the shrines and pay heaps of gold to increase your character statistics to the point where you can actually inflict decent weapon damage and cast useful spells. And you may find that your race selections, which at first seemed to affect nothing, limits your progress prematurely. It's absurd. There are probably other things you can purchase or find along the way which make the whole deal easier, but it's never clear what or where.

Air Fortress, that was nasty. I believe I inherited it from some up-the-street friend of mine, the same one from whom I acquired Solstice. A curious series of acquisitions, certainly.

Another sort of cheap challenge is found in Castlevania, in which if you die at the wrong point in level 5 it's almost impossible to win from where you're made to resume, and so must promptly dump your remaining lives and start the level over to have a chance. I hate that. Legend of the Mystical Goemon is even worse in that respect because of all the armor and restorative items which must be saved for and repurchased. I don't believe I ever even did that. For a single player, once you lose the first life you might as well turn the game off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone191 View Post
I wanna be the guy
Based on just what I've typed in here, I'm probably not good enough for that, but pog knows I have to take whatever 2d hopfests I can get these days.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
retroguiden

Many of the Megaman games were sadistic in how it tortured players for the tiniest mistake. Also, the first Donkey Kong game on Gamboy springs to mind. The complete idiots at Rare made you chase letters all around the stages to be able to save. Theoretically you could go through the entire game without getting the chance to save your game!
retroguiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Umiliphus

A minor point: If you speak of Donkey Kong Land, that was not the first Kong for Gameboy.

That initial Megaman must have been the worst of them, in regards to sadism. I would have loved to use the "multiple hits with elec beam against [whatever the yellow blob monster is called]" technique I used to see so much ado made of, but I couldn't even get through the level that fiend was in.

No, no, actually, I may have reached it one time, but was promptly destroyed by the beast's particles, long before I had an opportunity to fire upon them.