Metroid Prime II: Echoes 3 33.33%
Metroid Prime III: Corruption 0 0%
Never played any of them 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
Ah, it's because you're not good enough with the controls.
I don't really agree with this...I like MP 3's controls because they feel more natural and accurate to me than the analog sticks (that said, I did beat both Gamecube games in the series, so I must not do too badly with the analog).

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
Cornellius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
I don't really agree with this...I like MP 3's controls because they feel more natural and accurate to me than the analog sticks (that said, I did beat both Gamecube games in the series, so I must not do too badly with the analog).
That's what I meant. I like the Wii controls more, but I did not stop playing the first 2 Metroid Primes only because of the controls. As for calling them "inferior" controls, it's a matter of taste. Can't imagine myself playing a game with a keyboard.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)

Last edited by Cornellius; 10-13-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #13
Reaper man

Quote:
That's what I meant. I like the Wii controls more, but I did not stop playing the first 2 Metroid Primes only because of the controls. As for calling them "inferior" controls, it's a matter of taste. Can't imagine myself playing a game with a keyboard.
once you play with mouse + keyboard, you never go back, EVER.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #14
Cornellius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Tried with Half-Life and one of the Unreal, Unreal tournament I think, didn't like it. Found it too confusing.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
The 9th Sage

Yeah, IIRC I played Half-Life with a gamepad.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
retroguiden

Quote:
Ah, it's because you're not good enough with the controls. I love them, both with the controller and the Wii-mote. I felt I had complete control on Samus while playing. It's fun to play and never need to watch on which button you're pressing.
You have complete control, yes. But you can never be as fast with gamepads or the likes as you could be with mouse+keyboard. Both control styles needs some getting used to, but mouse+keyboard is waaay faster. So when it comes to 'inferior', taste really has nothing to do with it.

And just as you don't have to check what button you're pressing on your control, neither do we have to check buttons on the keyboard. It's all about getting used to them...
retroguiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #17
Cornellius

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroguiden View Post
You have complete control, yes. But you can never be as fast with gamepads or the likes as you could be with mouse+keyboard. Both control styles needs some getting used to, but mouse+keyboard is waaay faster.
That's what I was saying to The 9th Sage, I'm fast with the controller, but with the keyboard, I'm slooooooooooooooooow. It's like technical drawings. Some prefer doing them by hand, other prefer using Autocad, but both get the same results at the end.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #18
ToastyCheesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
agreed.

Playing the metroid games feels different though, its not really the same as playing PC based FPS, much like Goldeneye back in the days.

My favorite has to be Metroid Prime 2, Anyone who's played the first one could tell you it's Super Metroid on steriods. I can't just find a place for Prime 3 in my heart, I hate hate hate the wii controller, and tend to boycott using the accelerometers, especially on games that are deisigned only for those who are right handed (Yes, I am left handed)

I also didn't really like the story elements I was introduced too, but I don't know much beyond Bryyo as during that I through down my nunchuka assortment in a fit of frustration.

I really liked Prime 2's story, and no matter how many people hated the multiplayer, it sure was entertaining for what it's worth.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
AkaneJones

This topic went south fast. Totally stupid, Metroid Prime 1 & 2 aren't an FPS. Metroid Prime is best summed up as Zelda: OoT in First Person for the most part, well other than Mario platforming and traditional Metroid design. You might argue MP3 with the point aim and FPS style mission sections, but still.

Lets face facts here no amount of Keybroad + Mouse is ever going to help you play them. The fact is you never even aim, because of the Zelda lock-on targeting, so the whole point of the mouse is thrown out the window. Never mind that there really isn 't any need for custom keyboard short cuts because they already mapped all the ones you'd ever need to the d-pad/c-stick.

While I agree the Wiimote is a bit limited. In part due to a missing button, the needless game design of hypemode, and other small problems that only come from Metroid Primes overly button happy design. But to say a Wiimote is Right handed only is ludacris. In fact the Wiimote is the only true Lefty-Righty game controller this end of an Atari Joystick. Ever since the NES pad was introduced it was left hand to d-pad, right hand goes to buttons, you can use the Wiimote that way or say screw it and hold the nunchuk in your right. So I fail to see such a comment. But complain all you want about the button 2 is menu thing.

Which reminds me since they're bringing MP1&2 to Wii with Wiimote support they better do it right. Atleased it'd fix the horror that was fighting Emperor Ing, the only reason I never finished MP2. Either way I see the controls as Move with Analog, Aim/turn with pointer, jump/shoot with B, shoot/jump A, missle with Down, lock-on with Z, morphball with c, Weapon Swap with left & Right to cycle, Visor with + or -, menu with + or -. It's still not the best for visor controls but no press button 2 for menu. Although they could allow you to swap missiles and morphball that might be an improvement, atlessed that's what I thought when I first played MP3.
AkaneJones is offline   Reply With Quote