Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
shadowdorothy

Default Hex editor that supports Japanese, somewhat noob friendly.

So I got myself a fun new problem now.

I played around with hex editing Nes, Snes and some gameboy games for the heck of it, and feel like I have a good idea of how to text edit those with a hex editor. Now I wanna try my hand at some small translation. Problem? Hex workshop doesn't know Japanese, or anything besides English.

Translation station only knows Nes and Snes formats. So that's out. Tried WindHex32, UltraEdit, Cygnus, MadEdit, Notepad++. Regardless of what I try I get the same results. No Japanese characters show up. I either get ... or [] for Japanese characters. Sometimes I get Russian characters.

I have Japanese installed on my computer, so what gives? I can't make a table because I can't see the in game text in an editor. This happens with every Japanese game, doesn't seem to matter what format the game is in.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
InVerse

I always used WindHex32 to view Japanese text in games. You have to have the table BEFORE it can display the text, however, just like with English or any other language. I'm not sure how you expect to see the in game text if you haven't made a table...
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
shadowdorothy

I can't make a table because I can't see the Japanese characters. I know I need the table to view the text, but I can't view the text to make a table, if that makes sense.

I'm trying to use a hexeditor to make a table, but can't make one as no Japanese text shows up. I already have an English table made, but can't add Japanese to it as I can't see Japanese text period, regardless of what hex editor I use.

Am I just missing some big step here? I know I need to make a table to change text, but I can't view text to make a table.

I tried using monkey moore to help make a Japanese table using common words, but the program won't take Japanese input.

Edit.
Ok monkey more does take Japanese input, but the "defined character set" looks like blocks on my computer.
Other than that I managed to put all English letters and most symbols into my table not problem.

Edit 2;
Now with pictures
http://i.imgur.com/oKJ9QK8.png This is what keeps happening when I try to make a Japanese table.

Last edited by shadowdorothy; 08-16-2013 at 09:48 PM.
shadowdorothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
InVerse

If you could see the text in the ROM without the use of a table, there would be no point in making a table. You have to use relative search to locate the text within the ROM. Then you make the table. THEN you will actually be able to see it in the hex editor. Until you make the table, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE JAPANESE TEXT IN THE ROM.

I generally use Translhextion to relative search for text. Typing in common Japanese words is pointless unless you're 100% positive that your Japanese font is in the exact same order that your relative search program searches. Use the Value Scan Relative function of Translhextion, giving it the values of a word that you can actually in the game.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
shadowdorothy

Alright. I get you need to make a table, and many programs will help with that. My problem is none of them show Japanese as more than just blocks when I type. Monkey moore took my input, and actually gave me something, but it was blocks, so I couldn't really make a table with it.

Also the only word I can see in the game is SRWD. Nothing else, just characters and numbers surrounded by periods.

I used that Value Scan Relative thing. But it gave me 6000 lines of gibberish. Or at least what looks like gibberish to a noob. What does offset have to do with hexadecimals other than placement? And most of those characters shown in ASCII where blocks.

I tried to make a Japanese table using monkey moore, but no Japanese shows up. It's not that it isn't returning Japanese, the program is trying to. I just get blocks. I get blocks when I type it in, I get blocks as out put, and I get blocks in the defined character box. Could my Japanese font and keyboard installation be corrupt?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
InVerse

Read the tutorial I 'm attaching to this post. If you still can't figure it out, give up.

Last edited by InVerse; Yesterday at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
shadowdorothy

Well, I feel like an idiot. Not because of the relative search thing, apparently I was doing that right according to your guide. My Japanese IME keyboard and fonts had corrupted. The whole reason I was getting gibberish was because those had corrupted, and my computer could only return junk data (an extremely common problem in Win 7 apparently). Who'd've thought?

The whole reason I found out was JWordStar gave me squares and gibberish. JWordStar is the Japanese equivalent of Microsoft Word, and is optimized to understand Japanese input. When it started giving me gibberish I knew something was wrong. Went to the Microsoft help boards and low and behold Japanese keyboard corruption is common.

Lesson learned, I'm switching back to my XP machine as soon as I can to start hacking. And I am not using 7 to hack again.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
InVerse

I've never had that problem with Windows 7. Switching back to XP would be extremely stupid, though. 8 months from now, XP end-of-lifes. That means Microsoft will no longer be release security patches for it. People are sitting on security bugs for XP right now, hoping that nobody finds them until after the EOL. Once it happens, you're not going to want to have an XP system online.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
shadowdorothy

You're probably right. XP isn't the latest or greatest.

Welp now that I got my Japanese fonts and Keyboards re-installed I finally have my Japanese hira/kana table set up for the game I'm translating. I'll work on that a bit now I guess. Maybe in a few months I'll have a patch with the first few episodes of story translated.

Now to use that scan relative to figure out Kanji.