Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
bluesunlight432

Default I've been hacking the ingame script to FF6 and I have questions for hacking veterans

[I've flirted with the notion of re-translating FF6 into english from its original Japanese text (from use of dictionaries and my limited knowledge of Japanese) and taking the liberty to add some of my own creative elements to the script without changing the story. I know this has been done before but I've tried it simply as a new hobby. I prefer to edit the story in sequence from beginning to end and I've been using FF3Edit for traditional dialogue. However, I've been discouraged by the warnings of rom corruption in the use of this particular editor...plus I've been having difficulties editing the battle text (appearing in the place of the combat menu) using hex editors and script
extraction/insertation methods. I'm trying to edit the dialogue between VICKS (or Biggs) and WEDGE during the battle with the Whelk (the first boss battle in the game). The Woosley version goes like this:

VICKS: Hold it! Think back to our briefing...
WEDGE: What about it?!
VICKS: Do you recall hearing about a monster that eats lightning...
WEDGE: ...and stores the energy inits shell!
VICKS: Right. So whatever you do...don't attack the shell!
WEDGE: Alright already!

This is how my version would go:

BIGGS: Wait! Our briefing mentioned the possibility of an encounter with this whelk!
WEDGE: Yeah, I remember!
BIGGS: It's capable of absorbing electricity from any attack...
WEDGE: ...right, and it stores that electricity into its shell!
BIGGS: However we have to destroy this thing, don't hit the shell or there will be trouble!
WEDGE: Alright...attack!

My version is longer and talky-er (as were my previous text modifications that I used with FF3Edit) requiring a text insert greater in size than the original, thus shifting the entire code down the rom several notches (or hexes, whatever you call them); not to mention that you have to fiddle with the text triggers to have the script to display properly.

Anyway, I tried extracting just enough code using Ff3battl.tbl such that when I insertedthe expanded code back in, only blank fffffffffff space would be overwritten and not any coding. This screws up the Whelk battle, as it displays distorted text to no end. All the hex editors I've used only overwrite text as opposed to inserting them.

In the interest that I shorten the search for a solution to this crap, I've come here.

Is it even possible to create longer battle scripts for FF6?
Is there a hex editor that can "insert" text like a notepad without overwriting anything,and at the same time, has support for table files?
If it's possible to create longer battle scripts, do I have to make other modifications tothe code to get the game to display the text properly?
Is using FF3Edit foolhardy (it's been so convenient)?
bluesunlight432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
InVerse

Not having ever played FF6, let alone hacked it, I can't offer you any technical support, but are you aware that RPGONE already retranslated the game?
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
bluesunlight432

Yes, but I've been doing this as a hobby for fun nonetheless.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Hat

What you want to do is possible. You'll need to learn how to hack SNES pointers. This will allow you to make use of lengthier chunks of data like text, amongst other purposes. You might want to start off repointing stuff in a hex editor to get the idea. Then you could use a stand-alone script inserter for mass text insertion and pointer updating. Atlas seems a popular choice.

You may find the archived romhacks.net site to be of help: [URL="http://web.archive.org/web/20070810161057/www.romhacks.net/tutorial_pointers.php"]http://web.archive.org/web/20070810161057/www.romhacks.net/tutorial_pointers.php[/URL]
Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
bluesunlight432

Thank you Hat. Though I still have to read through the material to fully understand it, I appreciate the pointer you've given me on "pointers."
Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Lenophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesunlight432 View Post
Is it even possible to create longer battle scripts for FF6?
Anything is possible, given hardware limitations. There's about 0x70 bytes of free space where the battle dialogue currently is, which probably isn't enough for what you need. I suggest expanding the rom and moving this to a new empty bank.

Expanding the size of a SNES rom is about as easy as breathing. It will be the easiest step of what you want to do. The easiest way (of all known methods) would be to use Lunar Expand and select the 32Mbit option, then "apply to rom."

Quote:
Is there a hex editor that can "insert" text like a notepad without overwriting anything,and at the same time, has support for table files?
If you mean typing and not moving everything as a result, all hex editors should have this option. There's a few choices most people like, Hexposure, Translhexation, WindHex32 and more here.

Quote:
If it's possible to create longer battle scripts, do I have to make other modifications tothe code to get the game to display the text properly?
The only tweak you would need to make is the pointer loading routine so it looks at your new location. Other than that, you'll be fine.

Code:
C1/981A:	A9D0    	LDA #$D0       (from C1/96CA, C1/970F)
C1/981C:	8DD988  	STA $88D9      (bank to look for the dialogue)
C1/981F:	A00100  	LDY #$0001     (LDY $00, INY...)
C1/9822:	B78F    	LDA [$8F],Y
C1/9824:	C220    	REP #$20
C1/9826:	0A      	ASL A
C1/9827:	AA      	TAX 
C1/9828:	BF00D0D0	LDA $D0D000,X  (pointer to battle dialogue, bank 1)
C1/982C:	8DD788  	STA $88D7
C1/982F:	E68F    	INC $8F
C1/9831:	7B      	TDC 
C1/9832:	E220    	SEP #$20
C1/9834:	60      	RTS
I know this looks like jibberish right now, but it's easy to get the hang of. Feel free to ask for any clarification you may need.

Quote:
Is using FF3Edit foolhardy (it's been so convenient)?
Very, avoid using it at all costs.

As for script inserters, I've been using xkas (it's not a script inserter, just an assembler) but as I've been recommending that to others, they haven't been able to use it, so I would suggest you use Atlas instead.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
bluesunlight432

Thank you Lenophis. Though I'm left with the wishful thinking that FF3edit will someday be fixed of its bugs and a program will be released that automatically changes the pointers (calculating them all manually will be time consuming), I'll start experimenting with them. I should learn this subject before I continue writing any more of the ff6 script...but for now, I'll leave a sample of my writing here and ask for instructive criticism on it. From that criticism, I'll determine if I should be doing this or not. The first kanji (I think, "yaki") in the game translates into "demon," or "evil spirit," or "magic power." RPGOne's translation uses the word "demon," and I did in my first draft of the beginning of the game, although in thinking about it, I believe "magic power" would be more accurate for coherence in the script ("Espers" or "mythical beasts" are not exactly evil or demons for the rest of the game). Anyway... here is my first draft of the beginning:

There was a Great Demon War...Ulitilizing their methods known as "magic," all societies and the world were scorched. With the innumerable casulties, these powers were lost, forgotten, and extinguished.
1000 years passed and the new mankind developed the alternative power of science. Smelting, medicine, steam engines, mechanical weapons, and other technological feats were adopted in the new world.
But now, isolated from these common areas, a select few plot to dominate the world militaristically...by rekindling the ancient magical secrets that left the planet so devastated in the first place.
Are these people about to repeat that same morbid history?

BIGGS: Is that Narshe, the metropolitan market?
WEDGE: Yes. There, the magical beast we're looking for is a product of the Great Demon War. It has allegedly been frozen for 1000 years.
BIGGS: Has it been dormant but living all this time?
WEDGE: The urgent demeanor of our mission-briefers indicates to me that intelligence believes so.
BIGGS: And why does she have to be accompanying us? This magician is quite fearsome...Her military test results state that she incinerated 50 of our Armored Magitek soliders in under 3 minutes!
WEDGE: Don't worry...those results also state that the manipulation device on her head works flawlessly...It dimishes her of will and consciousness. For all I know, she'll follow our orders.
WEDGE: We'll go round and break into Narshe from the east. Move out!

Does this read like a game you would want to play or not? By the way I'm asking anyone who would come across this post.

Last edited by bluesunlight432; 09-02-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Lenophis

I'm not a script guy. I'm not one you could ask for meaningful advice. However, that said I did try to complete the RPGone translation, and I only got as far as the Floating Continent. The main problem I had was the lack of anything else. I knew how the game played exactly (and after having started a massive undertaking to balance the game, fix bugs, etc) the game played very boring.

I'll leave it to my colleagues here to judge the script.