Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
shadowdorothy

Default old system emulation carts

so, um...
Does anyone know where to get older system flash carts? or where I can get the parts to make them? specifically NES, SNES, N64, GB-GBA, gamegear, or sega genesis.
I'm also looking for reasonable prices. anything over $30 is way to much. $15-25 is a better limit. If it means I have to buy parts individually I'll do it. If I have to buy the parts myself can you direct me to a place with instructions on how to put it together.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Well, gba is hard to find these days. You can try gbadev.org, there was something on the news page in december about extra gba carts. If you're running it on a gba you can play the gb roms there too. I got a GB cart from some site 2 years ago, but I can't recall what it was at this time. For nes, there are some actual cart kits at retrousb.com.

That is all I know.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
The 9th Sage

Are you looking for a flashcart then, or the ability to build an actual cart? Anyway, if you want a GBA flashcart you could try to find something like a "slot-2" supercard. I can see some stuff you can use on a GBA here: http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?c=GBADEVKIT (don't think I've ever ordered from here, but it came to me recommended)

I'd recommend the Supercard over the other two it's of the newer style of flashcart where the games are stored on something like a miniSD card. It's more fun to have one if you don't need to reflash the entire cart everytime you need to change something. Also, it seems like Supercard Team still releases occasional updates for their slot-2 cart, it seems like they are about the only company who does.

For NES, you could hit RetroUSB and get the Lite version of the PowerPak. Doesn't support everything the full version does, but it should work for a lot of games, and it's under $40 as opposed to over $100. They have an SNES cart too, but again, well over $100.

*edit*
Nevermind, the Lite PowerPak requires a CopyNES unit, and that's around $100 together with the PowerPak. Better off just saying the extra $30 and getting the full PowerPak then, IMHO.

The company NeoFlash has some GBA, N64, PCE, SNES, and Genesis carts they make (can find them here) but all their stuff is terribly expensive, and I don't know very much about it other than it existing. I don't think I've ever seen another Genesis cart though.

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 03-19-2010 at 02:45 PM.
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Maximum Potion

I've tried Janaman before, and all of the other shops at http://www.gameboy-advance.net, but most of the gba carts are sold out because of the popularity of the DS devkits.

If you find some gba flash carts though, let me know, my supercard SD is good, but it sticks out of my Micro a lot.

EDIT: I bought the supercard from a Mexican down town, so I can't really help you on that one.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
I've tried Janaman before, and all of the other shops at http://www.gameboy-advance.net, but most of the gba carts are sold out because of the popularity of the DS devkits.

If you find some gba flash carts though, let me know, my supercard SD is good, but it sticks out of my Micro a lot.

EDIT: I bought the supercard from a Mexican down town, so I can't really help you on that one.
Actually, it says on Jandaman that they DO have Supercard slot-2 cards....at least one, since it says it's in stock. But yeah, it's getting harder to find them.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Maximum Potion

Ooh, nice. I must have missed that in the past.

EDIT: Sweet, they have the EFA 1 Gbit card that transfers via usb cable.