Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Soda

Default Pokemon Ruby codes question

There's so many codes for catching pokémon of your choice, and editing the stats of the pokémon in your 6 slots, but there aren't any codes for changing which pokémon are in the 6. Since, for some reason, VBA crashes every time I throw a pokéball, a code like that would be incredibly useful.

I started trying to change one of the Slot 1 Stat codes to see if I could get which pokémon actually occupies the slot, but to no avail. Is it possible?

Some help would be greatly appreciated.
Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Soda

Not a single reply... Awesome.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Reaper man

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the community here just didn't have an answer?

For example I don't like pokemon, at all, so of course I wouldn't know much about it, but I do know a little bit about emulation in general. VGA crashing when you throw a pokeball might be a sign of a bad dump. Try to get another copy of it and see if that one works.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
The 9th Sage

Yeah...I would have helped, except I have no knowledge of Pokemon cheats, for the most part.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Soda

That's a much better answer than leaving me to think that this community didn't want to help, as opposed to couldn't.

Given up on using codes etc, gonna do the whole thing with the starter pokemon.

As for the crashing thing, it does it with Emerald and Sapphire too. So meh. It's VBA's problem.

Thanks anyway.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda View Post
As for the crashing thing, it does it with Emerald and Sapphire too. So meh. It's VBA's problem.

Thanks anyway.
there are like, a 1,000 different flavors of VBA. Which one are you usnig?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Alpha Omega

Hey can someone tell me codebreaker to mirage island ?
Alpha Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
rickz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda View Post
That's a much better answer than leaving me to think that this community didn't want to help, as opposed to couldn't.

Given up on using codes etc, gonna do the whole thing with the starter pokemon.

Thanks anyway.
Or maybe you're corrupting your save file by using all these gameshark codes! There's a reason it's generally observed to be a device without guarantee and with the warning that bad stuff can happen to your games.

If VBA was the issue, then there'd be a billion posts elsewhere (since Pokémon is a relatively popular game) about the game crashing. The fact that the crashing is only isolated to you makes it an issue with either your ROM, your save file, or something bad in your computer (software or hardware).

As for the codes themselves, you can try making your own GameShark codes by watching areas of memory that change when you move pokémon's slots around, and working off of that. If the community doesn't have an answer, don't get mad... look for it yourself, too, and if you can't find it--make it.
rickz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
D--

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickz0rz View Post
or something bad in your computer (software or hardware).
This one is not likely at all. Hardware issues will not crash an interpretive emulator mid-execution, unless by hardware errors you mean ripping the video card out of your running computer.

A hardware error, such as in video or audio or some OS compatibility, would manifest itself as soon as those parts of the program begin execution.
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
rickz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BOY View Post
This one is not likely at all. Hardware issues will not crash an interpretive emulator mid-execution, unless by hardware errors you mean ripping the video card out of your running computer.

A hardware error, such as in video or audio or some OS compatibility, would manifest itself as soon as those parts of the program begin execution.
Even something like a stick of bad RAM? It'd be incredibly unlikely (afaik) but still not totally impossible. Although I guess with things like ASLR it throws a stick in it...

Realistically, though--I suspect fully that he corrupted his save file using too many cheats. I only threw the hardware/software thing in there for good measure.

Last edited by rickz0rz; 08-03-2008 at 08:17 PM.
rickz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote