Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickz0rz View Post
Even something like a stick of bad RAM? It'd be incredibly unlikely (afaik) but still not totally impossible. Although I guess with things like ASLR it throws a stick in it...
A bad stick of ram is rather unpredictable. Also, programs when loaded each time are loaded in different parts of RAM. What he is experiencing isn't instability, it's the game crashing at a very specific point.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
rickz0rz

If it's a specific area in the stick that's bad, it might not be as unpredictable as you'd think! I've done many sticks of bad RAM through memtest86 and noticed that the same areas generally pop-up as bad on the memory test itself... that's not that unpredictable

Programs loading into different parts of ram is a possibility, yes... but realize, it might not be the case, also. Say said person has a specific set of things he does. Starts PC, logs in, opens emulator, loads ROM. Plays, turns off PC. If the PC allocates RAM (without randomization, which is still new [wikipedia mentioned Vista/Server 2008--and how ASLR is only used for binaries compiled to use it?] from what I understand) it's totally possible that the same address space is used for either the program or the ROM as it's being played?

Nonetheless, I mentioned already that realistically, it's probably just a slew of GameShark codes already used that corrupted the save file, making the ROM itself do things it normally wouldn't try and thus causing funny issues. I threw the hardware/software in to cover bases, knowing it's a longshot but still possible.
rickz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
there are like, a 1,000 different flavors of VBA. Which one are you usnig?
The latest one for Mac, 1.7.

Quote:
Or maybe you're corrupting your save file by using all these gameshark codes!
I only used codes 'cause I couldn't catch pokémon in the first place.

Quote:
If VBA was the issue, then there'd be a billion posts elsewhere (since Pokémon is a relatively popular game) about the game crashing.
I've seen one other post about Pokémon Emerald crashing when they throw a pokéball, but no followup posts or anything about it, so I couldn't seek any help from there.

Quote:
The fact that the crashing is only isolated to you makes it an issue with either your ROM, your save file, or something bad in your computer (software or hardware).
Both my Pokémon ROMs crash when I throw pokéballs in VBA, but don't when I throw them in Boycott. However, Boycott in no way matches up to VBA so I don't want to use it.

Quote:
As for the codes themselves, you can try making your own GameShark codes by watching areas of memory that change when you move pokémon's slots around, and working off of that. If the community doesn't have an answer, don't get mad... look for it yourself, too, and if you can't find it--make it.
I tried a lot to make the codes, but I lack the skill and know-how to do it. I can't exactly change around a pokémon's slot around if I only have one pokémon. I do appreciate your help though.
Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
rickz0rz

Does Pokémon Emerald crash, or does VBA itself crash?

Is your Mac new or old? Because if I recall correctly, VBA 1.7 is PowerPC and if you're running it under a new (Intel) Mac, you're running it in Rosetta... which is a PowerPC emulator. Most applications don't have any issues with this, but I've had issues running VBA under it, and if it's VBA crashing, I'd recommend you grab Mednafen and try that instead (which uses VBA's core, but will be compiled to Intel processors).

Last edited by rickz0rz; 08-04-2008 at 03:09 PM.
rickz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:47 AM   #15
The 9th Sage

Hm....also, try using a BIOS if you aren't. Probably wouldn't change a thing, but you never know.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #16
Soda

Quote:
Does Pokémon Emerald crash, or does VBA itself crash?
VBA crashes, 'cause it crashes with both Ruby and Emerald. Also, I'm on a PowerBook G4.

Just downloaded a BIOS file, and now I can catch pokémon!

Thank you guys so much!
Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #17
Alpha Omega

Hey codebreaker for mirage island
Please answer !!! ^_^
Alpha Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Omega View Post
Hey codebreaker for mirage island
Please answer !!! ^_^
No. I'd tell you to act your age rather than your post count, but then that wouldn't make any difference. So I'll just tell you that this is your last warning. Stop making off-topic posts like this or you're going to get banned soon.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #19
btark

Default Bios?

My VBA is crashing when I try to catch a pokemon. You updated the bios and it works? I am using VBA 1.8. Where is the bios? How do I do that? Thanks for your help!

Tark
btark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #20
Reaper man

the bios you have to find yourself... you can't request that here