Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 05-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Gil

Question Game Genie Code Inserter HELP? please.

Ok, a few days ago, I downloaded the GAME GENIE CODE INSERTER.
I then had to proceed to download and install VMWARE virtual machine and windows XP on it, because the program REFUSES to work with vista no matter what. This is not the problem I need help with, but I am explaining why it took so long for me to bring this issue up.

My problem is as follows:
I downloaded the code inserter, and extracted it, and........?
What now??
No help files, no walkthrough, no nothing...
How the hell does this thing work???

I searched pages 1-4 for any posts about this BTW, so if anyone HAS brought this up, it's way in the back somewhere.

Can someone help me make this damn thing work properly? I tried using it, it ended up BLANKING out my ROM (0 bytes), fortunately, I had the foresight to duplicate it first.

I need a walkthrough or something here, I'm kinda pissed that the maker of this program just assumes we'll know exactly what to do and how to do it.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it, has ANYONE ELSE got the program to work for them? and if so, how?

edit: 23 views! yay! But I don't think that casting a LURKMORE spell will fix this, so please help

Last edited by Gil; 05-25-2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: 23 views and no damn replies. 'Nuff said. lol
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
InVerse

Best I can tell, it doesn't work. The program is poorly coded and doesn't appear to even have the necessary controls to open a ROM, as it continually insists on doing. Do you really need the Game Genie codes permanently affixed to your ROM? If not, just use an emulator with Game Genie support and enable the codes whenever you need them, otherwise, just manually insert the codes with a hex editor.

And complaining about getting several thread views and no replies is makes it even less likely that you'll get a reply. I know my initial reaction was to simply ignore the thread after seeing your whining. If someone knows the answer or has a suggestion, they're probably going to make it when they read the thread, but just because 23 looked at your thread doesn't mean any of them has any clue how to solve your problem. Hell, 23 is a tiny number of views for this board.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
shawn

Gil

When the people here say your rude it's because you're capitalizing your words. It's considered shouting and is usually reserved for rants or flaming someone. Try using "this" instead to highlight/emphasize points or use the italic text option. Yes I know it seems a lot of people are uptight about simple capitalization but like the old saying goes "when in Rome do as the Romans do".
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
Best I can tell, it doesn't work. The program is poorly coded and doesn't appear to even have the necessary controls to open a ROM, as it continually insists on doing. Do you really need the Game Genie codes permanently affixed to your ROM? If not, just use an emulator with Game Genie support and enable the codes whenever you need them, otherwise, just manually insert the codes with a hex editor.

And complaining about getting several thread views and no replies is makes it even less likely that you'll get a reply. I know my initial reaction was to simply ignore the thread after seeing your whining. If someone knows the answer or has a suggestion, they're probably going to make it when they read the thread, but just because 23 looked at your thread doesn't mean any of them has any clue how to solve your problem. Hell, 23 is a tiny number of views for this board.
I wasn't complaining, I thought it was funny and a bit frustrating at the same time, so I decided to point it out, sorry if it seemed like I was complaining. As for the codes, they're absolutely necessary to be forced permanantly into the rom, otherwise they'll conflict, and I need these codes if I'm going to remake a game I'm working on properly. (IE: final fantasy 1, don't need the CROWN to get into temple of ordeals, since I moved the temple and made it necessary to get the CROWN in the first place) I don't want people to have to enter fifty million game genie codes just to make my ROM hack work right. Plus, there's some people who would prefer to play a game with no codes to cheat/modify, or prefer to use an emulator with no game genie ability, which means the game won't work for them.
Thanks for explaining though, I wonder why the code inserter is hosted if it don't work.. didn't the admins test it first? I know I would have, and if they did test it, that must mean it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Gil

When the people here say your rude it's because you're capitalizing your words. It's considered shouting and is usually reserved for rants or flaming someone. Try using "this" instead to highlight/emphasize points or use the italic text option. Yes I know it seems a lot of people are uptight about simple capitalization but like the old saying goes "when in Rome do as the Romans do".
I see.. Thanks for explaining, but why post this here, when there's the other topic in Q&A forum to post in? Just curious. In any case, I do appreciate the help. I'll be sure to keep that in mind in the future.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I wonder why the code inserter is hosted if it don't work.. didn't the admins test it first?
Having been a staff member of this site on at least two, possibly three, occasions, I can say with authority that it is entirely possible that it wasn't tested thoroughly before being posted. At best, it was probably scanned for viruses. Staff members aren't necessarily experts in whatever section of the site they're maintaining, so it's quite possible that someone looked at this utility and decided they didn't understand how it worked but chalked it up to their own lack of expertise and posted it anyway. (Note: This utility was posted several years ago, so the above statements are not directed at anyone currently working for ZD. In fact, I so rarely venture beyond this particular board that I really don't even know who the hell *is* on the staff, now that I think about it.)

As for permanently activating Game Genie codes for a hack, check out this document by SnowBro that explains how to do so. (Note: This method involves using Nesticle. There are probably other ways to do it, but you'll have to search them out yourself.)
Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Reaper man

Quote:
Having been a staff member of this site on at least two, possibly three, occasions, I can say with authority that it is entirely possible that it wasn't tested thoroughly before being posted. At best, it was probably scanned for viruses. Staff members aren't necessarily experts in whatever section of the site they're maintaining, so it's quite possible that someone looked at this utility and decided they didn't understand how it worked but chalked it up to their own lack of expertise and posted it anyway. (Note: This utility was posted several years ago, so the above statements are not directed at anyone currently working for ZD. In fact, I so rarely venture beyond this particular board that I really don't even know who the hell *is* on the staff, now that I think about it.)

As for permanently activating Game Genie codes for a hack, check out this document by SnowBro that explains how to do so. (Note: This method involves using Nesticle. There are probably other ways to do it, but you'll have to search them out yourself.)
May I also add that this utility is rather old. We aren't going to test every utlity on the site whenever a new OS comes out.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Gil

Quote:

Well, that does make sense I guess, if I was unsure of something, and it checked out clean, I'd leave it there for people to check out too, so I can underatand. And yea, it is a bit old, so the current staff might not even have any clue who put it there.

Erm.. as for the document, it seems a bit advanced.. I was just looking for an EXE program that would do all this for me, hense my downloading the code inserter, I know very little of modifying codes permanantly, mostly a bit of knowlege of hex, how to use tile molester, ffhackaster, and a few other goodies for restructuring the dungeons and overworld and graphics in the game, as well as battles and other such things. Also, I use NEStopia, as nesticle don't want to work for me, but I guess now that I have a virtual windows xp maybe it will.
Thanks for the link, and for the reply.

Though, is there anyone who can fix the code inserter so it works right, or maybe make a new one that works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
May I also add that this utility is rather old. We aren't going to test every utlity on the site whenever a new OS comes out.
I fully understand, which is why I said that the whole VM/windows thing wasn't the problem. I just thought people might be like "well why didn't you say something when you tried the program?", so I explained that part. (also, windows vista ain't that new, it's been around for a couple of years now, but it is new compaired to the utility)

BTW, did you or another admin test the utility when it was first submitted to the site?
Just curious about this, as it could have done alot of damage to someone's rom if it turned out to be a corrupter or something.
I figure, if someone did test it, and still thought it was worth keeping up on the page, that must mean they got it to WORK when they tested it with a game/code.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
BTW, did you or another admin test the utility when it was first submitted to the site?
We didn't, but we weren't admins or staff members back then.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
InVerse

Actually, that utility is old enough that I *might* have been on the staff when it was added. The only utility I can actually specifically remember adding, however, was UHLE Fix, and that was a trojan. (No, I didn't test it before uploading it because I *knew* it was a trojan, having written it myself.) I also added the Game Genie ROM, being the person who actually obtained permission from Galoob to publicly distribute said ROM. I wish I still had the email from them granting said permission, purely for nostalgia's sake. Now I'm in the mood to go write a blog entry about various emulation related remembrances from days past...
Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
We didn't, but we weren't admins or staff members back then.
Again, I understand that the staff changes once in a while, so this isn't a problem, but thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
Actually, that utility is old enough that I *might* have been on the staff when it was added. The only utility I can actually specifically remember adding, however, was UHLE Fix, and that was a trojan. (No, I didn't test it before uploading it because I *knew* it was a trojan, having written it myself.) I also added the Game Genie ROM, being the person who actually obtained permission from Galoob to publicly distribute said ROM. I wish I still had the email from them granting said permission, purely for nostalgia's sake. Now I'm in the mood to go write a blog entry about various emulation related remembrances from days past...
wait.. why would you create a trojan in the first place? and why would you upload it to where innocent people could grab it?
Glad to hear about the ROM, and that Galoob isn't all stuck up about ROMs of their stuff being released, and..wait.. how would someone go about even USING a game genie rom? the minute we enter the codes, and try to start the game, it would loop back to the beginning, or it would crash the emulator.. since more then one ROM can't be loaded at the same time.

Anyway, could someone please help me use the code inserter, if it has any possible chance of working? or, if it doesen't, could someone please code one? I tried all the byteswap stuff and whatnot mentioned in the text file, and messed up badly.