Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Gil

Question NES emulator (MP3s playing in NES ROMs)

I gots me an intresting little idea, and I think you might like it, lemme explain please..

Now, considering that we know what loads an NES music file (otherwise we wouldn't have music in our emulators), and that it loads seperate usually from the sound effects, I got an idea about this.
Considering that there's sites like http://www.ocremix.org/ out there with remixes of our favorite NES musics (AWESOME remixes at that), I thought of something intresting..

Now, I'm not sure if this can be done, but if it could, it would be the most awesome thing since N64 got emulated I can imagine.

My idea:

What if, instead of playing NES music, we got an emulator that detects when your NES rom is trying to play a specific music, and it gives you the option of either playing the original music, or instead, an external mp3 of remixed music in a loop? All it would take would be a little detection coding, an MP3 playing driver, and an emulator that can hold all this together.
Oh, and some knowlege of coding an emulator of course.

And I don't think this needs to be said, but "remember this choice" would be an obvious checkbox to add for people to click, otherwise every time it comes across a music, it would ask you about it, even if it's the same damn thing. It would be known as one of the worst ever if that happened.

Is this doable? If it is, could someone do it? I think it would be amazing if I could play something like final fantasy 1 with all the remixes out there, and no, I don't just want to mute my emulator and play an mp3 in the background, I want to be able to hear the sound effects and whatnot too, while playing. Some times, it's necessary, or you're fucked. (like if you're cursed or poisoned, and a specific sound plays out as a result, or if danger approaches, stuff like that)

This way, you could play your favorite musics, and they would change with your game (overworld music would stop if you enter a cave or battle or something, etc..)

I hope someone can do this, it would be AMAZING I think. Probably would become one of the most popular (if not THE most popular) emulators out there.

edit: BUMP.

Last edited by Gil; 05-31-2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: a more specific title, plus a little more detail in the post (and now a bump)
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
EmuWikiAdmin
VIP (site admin -- emuwiki)

If you don't do it I don't see anyone else doing it. If you want to listen to music while you play, download an mp3 player!
EmuWikiAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #3
tssf

I won't spam the thread with needless "If you don't do it yourself why should we" posts, however I will attempt to contribute with relevant information.

I believe the emulator needs to be game-targeted to actually work as the emulator can't possibly know all the memory addresses where music and sound effects are stored. However, I also believe someone did this with Megaman 2. Check the ROMhacking.net forum and see if you can find it in a search there, as I believe that's where I originally read the thread about this idea.
tssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
The 9th Sage

Hm...speaking of this, isn't there a version of MAME that did this for games such as Golden Axe? Or perhaps it wasn't Golden Axe...I do remember it replaced the music with heavy metal though. :P
*edit*
Ahaha, here it is. Sadly, the download seems to be lost to the ages.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuWikiAdmin View Post
If you don't do it I don't see anyone else doing it. If you want to listen to music while you play, download an mp3 player!
Wait..what?
I can't program an emulator worth shit, this is why I was asking if anyone else could do it, why else would I post the idea, instead of doing it?
As for listening to music, noo, my idea was this: you load the game in the emulator. When the emulator DETECTS MUSIC LOADING, it could stop and ask you what to play, the ingame music, or music of your own. The emulator would do this, not the ROM.
And yes, I do want music, that's why I got this idea at all.

Thanks for trying to help, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tssf View Post
I won't spam the thread with needless "If you don't do it yourself why should we" posts, however I will attempt to contribute with relevant information.
Oh thank GOD I'm not going to get everyone saying "do it yourself", I hate when that happens. Thank you for not doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tssf View Post
I believe the emulator needs to be game-targeted to actually work as the emulator can't possibly know all the memory addresses where music and sound effects are stored. However, I also believe someone did this with Megaman 2. Check the ROMhacking.net forum and see if you can find it in a search there, as I believe that's where I originally read the thread about this idea.
It won't have to be game targeted, it could save a "profile" of what music you want for what game and where you want it.
It would DETECT the music trying to play, so it shouldn't have to already know the memory addresses, it would find them out upon music load attempt.
I'll check romhacking, but if they changed the music in the ROM, that's not what I meant. I meant it would work like subtitles, it would play the music over where the normal music would play.

I'm not sure I'm describing this quite right now, I'm trying to tho..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Hm...speaking of this, isn't there a version of MAME that did this for games such as Golden Axe? Or perhaps it wasn't Golden Axe...I do remember it replaced the music with heavy metal though. :P
*edit*
Ahaha, here it is. Sadly, the download seems to be lost to the ages.
See, now YOU seem to get it. I'll do a google on MAME and see what I come across regarding this.
Thanks for the reply and for the link.
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
Adremalech The Wroth

Wouldn't it be easier to hack the game and add the songs than to code a new emulator feature?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adremalech The Wroth View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to hack the game and add the songs than to code a new emulator feature?
And thus have to not only have to insert mp3 data but also write mp3 decoding code for an NES? Porting an mp3 codec to NES assembly doesn't sound easier to me...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Wait..what?
I can't program an emulator worth shit, this is why I was asking if anyone else could do it, why else would I post the idea, instead of doing it?

Oh thank GOD I'm not going to get everyone saying "do it yourself", I hate when that happens. Thank you for not doing that.

I'm not sure I'm describing this quite right now, I'm trying to tho..
I think everyone understands what you mean, and I think that what they're saying is that it would take alot of work to do it, so you shouldn't excpect someone to just show up and do it.

And though it may be a cool idea for an emulator, it would still take alot of time for the user to set it up...

However, I do wonder if there's an emulator that can switch off the 3 synth channels and leave on the noise channel... you know, so that you could use winamp or something...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
However, I do wonder if there's an emulator that can switch off the 3 synth channels and leave on the noise channel...
I recall Nesticle let you select which synth channels were enabled.