Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 09-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #31
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfanryan View Post
you guy's are crazy, easily the greatest game of all time, lost count how many times I played it.

best part the death of a main character Aeris that dosen't happen every game.
*cough narrow-minded fanboy cough*

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:52 AM   #32
hcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfanryan View Post
best part the death of a main character Aeris that dosen't happen every game.
hcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #33
Umiliphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
*cough narrow-minded fanboy cough*
I think your keyboard has a cold.
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #34
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umiliphus View Post
I think your keyboard has a cold.
Damn straight.

Seriously, though... Aeris had been KOed a lot while in my party, so I was just sitting there afterwards thinking "What the hell?". I guess Phoenix Downs don't work all the time?

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #35
The 9th Sage

Come on now, be nice.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:07 AM   #36
FireEmblemGuy

I can't say I have any 'fond' memories of FFVII; I finally sat down and played it last year, and when I was done I simply wondered how such a train wreck gained such a legendary status. Even for PSX the graphics were bad, the controls were clunky, and the plot was a mess. I'm actually a fan of Final Fantasy itself; up until FFIVDS Final Fantasy II/IV was pretty much my favorite game, so don't mistake me for a troll/anti-fanboy.
FireEmblemGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #37
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEmblemGuy View Post
I can't say I have any 'fond' memories of FFVII; I finally sat down and played it last year, and when I was done I simply wondered how such a train wreck gained such a legendary status. Even for PSX the graphics were bad, the controls were clunky, and the plot was a mess.
Wow, my thoughts exactly. I look back and wonder what the hell the reviewers were on. Square went to the extents of going with Tetsuya Nomura rather than Yoshitaka Amano for the character designs purely because they knew they didn't have the experience with the graphical hardware to do any sort of justice to Amano's detailed and fluid designs. How a company with so little confidence in their own graphical abilities got 8s and 9s for graphics defies all logic.

Unfortunately, FF7 did better than anyone expected, and Nomura's designs have become the norm rather than the interlude they really should've been. I think Nomura's style officially got old after FFX and Square-Enix should really find a new style for the series.

As for the plot, that seemed a consistent weakness of the PlayStation era. FF7 had no plot for disc 2, FF8 had the abomination known as Time Compression, and FF9 coined the phrase "Pulling a Necron". I feel that the writers of JRPG plots should be ordered to write a basic beginning, middle, and end to their story very early on. Any team without several established plot points and an ending by the late-alpha phase should be fired on the spot.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #38
AkaneJones

That's a bit unfair, no really. Now I admit the polygon models in FF7 suck ass but still. First off the pre-rendered backgrounds in FF7 are very pretty of it's time and place. In fact they are a total step up on Treasure Hunter G & Mario RPG's backgrounds because they weren't limited by the colour and tile limitations of the SNES. Now one could argue that FF6 had better art but here you'd be comparing apples to oranges, as FF6 was drawn art and FF7 was pre-rendered.

Then we come to the poly models, yes they suck even for 32 bit era. No people shouldn't brake in two like Pres. Shinra. I always remember that Zelda:OoT looks miles better ahead of FF7 in the poly department and it had to render backgrounds and characters. Ofcourse it really only shows Square's inexperience at using real time poly models and not much more. Actually the battle polys look loads better especially the high rez Cloud from the ending battle, but even then inexperience shows in their bones.

Needless to say the pre-rendered cg movie sequence looked good then but look crap now. It's like watching most early mid 90s 3D animation. Even stuff like Toy Story suffer from it, and Pixar was always one of the best. The fact is those were just hype at the right time for those things to impress people. Personally I like 2D drawn art better, but hey 3D became a rage and seams more of a standard now. And one can't deny it helped. Yes fmv's truly equal Lunar, Popful Mail other Sega CD/Turbo Dou game but in till it was on a popular console and in 3D people didn't notice.

As for character design Square did it more for the fact that Amano's art look terrible in low poly because it's just so scribbly. Hell they had a hard time converting it in to good sprites some times. I actually like the character designs of FF7 but not the more realistic junk Square went to with FF8 on. In fact out side of FF9 the other FFs art style has been getting to same-y. I like the art style of the original FF Tactics though, and the Crystal Chronicals series. I think looks better when it isn't doing DS chibis, but.... Still I never really like Amano's art all that much, but I do think it might make a new #FF look less same-y. (Also why the Tales of Heart CG version? I wouldn't buy that version if it makes it to the US. Why must Namco try and dopple FFs same-yness onto a Tales game)

Really however it amazes me how people often feel that FF7 is somehow different from the Nes & Snes FFs. Ulitmaly, gag yes, its the same. The Matteria system is basically the Job system meets the Magicite system. Really the only thing that make FF7 any different from FF1-6 is the trapped in Midgard first part and that's only because you can't get to the overworld. To say the story suck is stupid also though, but hey unlike the fan boys would have you believe FF6 is far better constructed. Ofcourse Japanese RPGs on a whole seem to always suffer from the not as good as a Manga/Anime. Kind of makes me want a RPG company to employ a Shoujo manga writer. Original CLAMP or Yu Watase written RPG yes please. But I feel that such a dream will never happen. One would note that when they do come together the game is the one that ends up sucking, Full Metal Alchemist any one.
AkaneJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:27 AM   #39
Triggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEmblemGuy View Post
I can't say I have any 'fond' memories of FFVII; I finally sat down and played it last year, and when I was done I simply wondered how such a train wreck gained such a legendary status. Even for PSX the graphics were bad, the controls were clunky, and the plot was a mess. I'm actually a fan of Final Fantasy itself; up until FFIVDS Final Fantasy II/IV was pretty much my favorite game, so don't mistake me for a troll/anti-fanboy.
Well obviously playing a game thats 10 yrs old would make you feel that way. the game was revolutionary for its time like pacman and tetris were for theirs. you play either of those more than a decade later and theres nothin special about them. the only way you could truly rate a game on its merits is to rate it around its time of release. and its extremely unfair to try to compare it to todays standards. if u just finished metal gear solid 4 and then 4 some odd reason decided u wanted to play the original (and we'll pretend youd never played metal gear b4 the 4th installment) youd be insanely disappointed. u cant compare the two. Even if u were utterly obsessed with the game and thought it was the best game ever in its day, as time marches on, and u play newer better games, it becomes subpar. the story was a mess? i suppose you'll tell me the story in final fantasy tactics was awful. generally speaking if one couldnt appreciate that story in tactics, it was because it was too complicated for them to comprehend. most people just werent capable of understanding the story so its automatically awful. you may not be an anti fanboy, but it seems like your just looking for something to be wrong with it even with it being out dated. if you want to like a bad movie - you can. if you want to hate a good game - you can do that to.

Personally i dont see what everbodys obsession with GTA is. i cant stand the game. its boring and theyre all the exact same. Just like Dynasty warriors, but the bias of review sites rates GTA higher and higher every identical incarnation but dynasty warriors lower and lower.

Oh and to answer the actual question of the thread... well i liked the whole game. I remember the part with aeris or aerith evoking some sadness which had never happened before. eh, whole game was great. but my best moment was defeating Emerald and Ruby weapons (big bad optional bosses) without any cheats altho i did need to look up how to avoid sudden death while fighting the former.
Triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #40
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggs View Post
Well obviously playing a game thats 10 yrs old would make you feel that way. the game was revolutionary for its time like pacman and tetris were for theirs. you play either of those more than a decade later and theres nothin special about them. the only way you could truly rate a game on its merits is to rate it around its time of release.
I don't think I agree with this...Pac-Man, Tetris? Still fun. A good game will always be good. That said, not all people agree on what games ARE good, obvoiusly.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote