Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Cornellius

Default Metallica - Death Magnetic

Awesome album. Some songs made me think about ...And justice for all. The solos are back, and it got an instrumental song and a 3rd Unforgiven too. I would like to tell you my favorite songs, but to tell you the truth, I like all of them. This is coming from a guy who loved all their albums, even St. Anger.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Reaper man

huh, interesting. I think I'll wait for a bit less biased opinion though, like from someone who thought that Metallica's albums have just been getting shittier and shittier.... ok that's a bit biased too, but eh..
Old 09-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Ugly Joe

I just finished listening to it. Full disclosure: I've listened to every Metallica album, but own none of them (well, someone gave me Garage Inc, but that doesn't really count).

I think there's something about the older albums (pre black album) that keeps them separate from the rest of their catalog, and this album (IMO, only listening to it once) does nothing to change that. It still sounds like the "new" Metallica.

Still, while I would say the black album was their sell out album and Load/ReLoad/St. Anger were the band floundering to cope with their commercial success (Load/ReLoad) and attempting to regain credibility (while continuing to sell out - St. Anger), Death Magnetic sounds like a legitimate return to form. All they want to do is thrash, and it's evident in this album. There is no radio single here (as evidenced by their first single being 8 minutes long -- which, I should note, isn't just a dragged-out 4 minute song like St. Anger's title track).

But, again, even though they're finally returning to their old style, it doesn't sound quite the same. As well it shouldn't. They're a different band (in more ways than one) now than they were pre black album. They sound older. They sound cleaner.

It sounds good, though. If I were in the mood for some metal, I'd have no problem throwing this on.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
huh, interesting. I think I'll wait for a bit less biased opinion though, like from someone who thought that Metallica's albums have just been getting shittier and shittier.... ok that's a bit biased too, but eh..
*raises hand and waves it violently* Ooh, pick me! Pick me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Joe View Post
I just finished listening to it. Full disclosure: I've listened to every Metallica album, but own none of them (well, someone gave me Garage Inc, but that doesn't really count).

I think there's something about the older albums (pre black album) that keeps them separate from the rest of their catalog, and this album (IMO, only listening to it once) does nothing to change that. It still sounds like the "new" Metallica.

Still, while I would say the black album was their sell out album and Load/ReLoad/St. Anger were the band floundering to cope with their commercial success (Load/ReLoad) and attempting to regain credibility (while continuing to sell out - St. Anger), Death Magnetic sounds like a legitimate return to form. All they want to do is thrash, and it's evident in this album. There is no radio single here (as evidenced by their first single being 8 minutes long -- which, I should note, isn't just a dragged-out 4 minute song like St. Anger's title track).

But, again, even though they're finally returning to their old style, it doesn't sound quite the same. As well it shouldn't. They're a different band (in more ways than one) now than they were pre black album. They sound older. They sound cleaner.

It sounds good, though. If I were in the mood for some metal, I'd have no problem throwing this on.
Sorry everyone for x2 posts, really!

mod edit: fixedededed

Anyway...what's this about being "in the mood" for metal!? That's bullcrap, 'cuz every mood is a good mood for metal...scientific fact! I can prove it.

That's semi-sarcasm/joking for those who didn't pick up on it.

Click here to level up my card!

Last edited by Reaper man; 09-13-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
(wraith_)

I HATEDHATEDHATED St. Anger.

Death Magnetic is fucking awesome though.

That's all I have to say about that.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
Cornellius

I'll add something: Unforgiven III will grow on you, give it time.

Edit: Forgot to say that there's a new instrumental song: Suicide & redemption.

Last edited by Cornellius; 09-14-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Rattlehead

I might just have to check it out sometime. Y'know...being a die-hard Megadeth fan, I feel semi-hypocritical for making that statement.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Cornellius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
I might just have to check it out sometime. Y'know...being a die-hard Megadeth fan, I feel semi-hypocritical for making that statement.
Well, while I do think that Metallica > Megadeth, at least for me, I really love Megadeth too. I think Risk is Megadeth's St. Anger.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
MegaManJuno

Except that Risk is still miles above St. Anger on the listenable scale... Haven't heard the new Metallica one yet, but plan to pick it up. Sure Load and Reload weren't true to the old Metallica form, but still had some decent songs, IMO... and were listenable, at least. The pingy drums (and general overall sound quality) on St. Anger I think irritate me more than anything else about the album. They may have started out as a garage band, with shitty sound quality, but they aren't one now. Purposefully ruining the sound quality to somehow try to sound more "true", was just a really shitty decison in my book.
MegaManJuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Cornellius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaManJuno View Post
Except that Risk is still miles above St. Anger on the listenable scale... Haven't heard the new Metallica one yet, but plan to pick it up. Sure Load and Reload weren't true to the old Metallica form, but still had some decent songs, IMO... and were listenable, at least. The pingy drums (and general overall sound quality) on St. Anger I think irritate me more than anything else about the album. They may have started out as a garage band, with shitty sound quality, but they aren't one now. Purposefully ruining the sound quality to somehow try to sound more "true", was just a really shitty decison in my book.
Well, I loved St. Anger too. When listening to it, I imagine myself with the band in a garage. I can understand why so many people hate the album, but I like it. Sure, there's no solo, but Metallica made so many great albums that they can experience something else for a change. I also like Load/ReLoad. In fact, I love every albums, I think that I can only say about Metallica, Iron Maiden and Megadeth.